sneak peek: barbara bestor’s woolly pocket home

we’ve been going a little plant crazy at here at design*sponge and are always looking for new ways to incorporate some greenery into tight spaces. we’ve been eyeing woolly pockets for a while now and were super excited to see just how they were used in barbara bestor’s los feliz (los angeles) home. stephanie bartron (she created the woolly herb shack) from the woolly pocket team worked with barbara to integrate plants into all different areas of her home (love those native california plants!) {thanks to the woolly team and suthi picotte for the lovely photos} amy a.

[We wanted to work with the aesthetic of Barbara’s home, indoors and out. So we thought of the Pockets & plants as art pieces more than anything else. Splashes of life here and there. The installation in the living room actually replaced a canvas that was there previously. – Stephanie Bartron, Woolly In-House Designer]

[image above: Barbara has an incredible patio overlooking Los Angeles. I wanted to bring some plant life into the space & opted for four Wally Fives planted with beautiful grasses and some LA native plants.]

[image above: Five indoor Wally Ones add a great splash to Barbara’s basement. The yellow bromeliads really make it pop!]

CLICK HERE for more Woolly Pockets!

[image above: This is one of my favorite installations in Barbara’s house. It really shows how simply & dramatically indoor gardens can transform a space. This is four indoor “Wally Ones”. It would also be great to plant these with herbs!]

[image above: Four outdoor Wally Ones planted with a variety of tasty herbs & strawberries!]

1. Christa says:

I love the table planters as well as the herb garden!

2. LOVE the hanging “wall” of greenery, and totally IN LOVE with that blue wallpaper!

3. Mmmm… I didn’t like this sneak peak at all, the pictures are uninspiring

4. RINNA says:

where is that blue whale wall paper from i heart it. do not love thos sneak peek though, seems a bit hotel-ly and not homely enough for me.

5. Naomi says:

Oh, I think this home is quite lovely! And the abundance of greenery really adds to it.

6. Rebecca says:

I have been thinking about woolly’s all week. They are such a great way to add plants/life to places. I really want to try my hand at making something similar.
    Thank you !!

7. i love the woolly pockets! So beautiful :)

8. ashley says:

can you tell us where the whale wall paper is from. love it!!

9. Spiral Style says:

I love Woolly Pocket. I hung them on my deck with herbs and cascading flowers. Love the look.

10. rebecca says:

The whale wallpaper is a Geoff McFetridge design. Walnut Wallpaper carries it.

(Huge McFetridge fan here.)

11. alissa says:

LOOOOOVE the woolly pocket.

12. Juney says:

I love Woolly Pockets, but I think they’re really expensive for the materials involved. They’re just nylon sacks with grommets and a fabric covering. I’m waiting for someone to copy them cheaply.

13. Beth says:

Well, I agree with Juney that the Woollys are expensive, but we just bought a couple (indoor lined) and I’m very happy with the quality. There’s nothing nylon about them to me, they’re thick recycled felt and have a tarp kind of lining in the back and another felt tongue to feed water down into the soil.

I always like seeing more pics of the walleys installed. Love the bromeliads!

14. Heather says:

I’m sure they would be cheaper if they were made from unsustainable fabrics by underpaid workers overseas.

Like Beth said, the pockets are not nylon – they’re made from recycled plastic bottles here in the US. I’m happy to pay a bit more for a responsibly made product. I have several pockets in my backyard and I love them!

15. Serina says:

I think this house is very homey and warm. I love seeing plants used as decoration and art… Beautiful!! That beats any high priced piece of art in my book.

16. Amanda says:

Did you encounter any problems in regard to the woolly pockets installed on your interior walls?