jules anderson/slowood studios

yesterday i posted one of my favorite furniture pieces of all time, dorothy draper’s espana chest. i have a seemingly endless desire to fill my home with pattern and highly detailed furniture, and i always always jump around when i see something that fits that description. but something completely different happens when i see a piece of simple, wooden furniture. something about the raw beauty of wood, especially when left un-varnished or stained, allows even the simplest of furniture to be elevated from simple to special. so when i saw this beautiful wooden furniture from designer jules anderson in hudson new york, i was left speechless.

much like paolo samko‘s work, these pieces from jules make me stop, be quiet, and just look. they make me want to run my hands over the surfaces to feel the different textures of wood, and (this mind sound crazy), bend down to smell the wood to see if it still has that wonderful woodsy, aging smell. jules’ work, inspired by the slow food/living movement, is created at a “zen pace” using exclusively reclaimed or re-purposed wood, like old floor boards and cladding (jules also makes her bees wax finishing paste using wax from local bees). i’m totally smitten with the coffee table options in jules’ flickr page– i love all the different combinations of wood- and would love to be able to close my eyes and see (or just imagine) all the different people that have walked on the old wood flooring and beams over the years. just like antique mirrors, for me, reclaimed flooring from years past always makes me think about the people that used it before.

jules is still building her website, but if you’re interested in contacting her about purchasing or more details on her work, you can shoot her an email right here. thanks, jules! (and thanks to alison, jim, and corbett for sending jules my way!)

1. Shones says:

delightfully raw

2. Sasha K. says:

These tables are great! I particularly like that first one. I love the combination of the re-purposed wood and hairpin legs. Gives them sort of a vintage feel, but modern.

3. christina says:

my god, these are too beautiful for words! you’re right. in their simplicty, they are so so effective. i have a secret desire to be a woodworker. masculine meets feminine in such a beautiful way there. what a merger! go jules! i cannot wait to see what happens next. please repost when her website is done! :)

4. Kaitlyn says:

how did you know i was looking for the perfect reclaimed wood coffee table? perfect post for my search this week.. these are so elegent!

5. Kate says:

That coffee table is so striking. Love it!!

6. Jane says:

great materials used in new way – simple, clean and very elegant!