ceiling fan roundup

as the summer heat starts to creep in, finding ways to cool down becomes a necessity. i’ve been hearing from readers for the past month or so who wanted to see a roundup of ceiling fans, so i thought a hot summer day like this would be the perfect time. unfortunately most ceiling fans don’t fall into the “under $100” price point i try to stick to, so i’ve tried to include a wide range of fans here to suit a number of styles and tastes. if you’re looking to keep things below $300-$500, be sure to check out craigslist, ebay, and local fleamarkets and yardsales for more affordable options. i looked at a few fans from overstock.com, which also has some nice options, although the lower priced fans aren’t quite as interesting, design-wise.

[images above, clockwise from top left: copper bianca $516.80, flute fan $429, galvanized fan $410, duplo fan $1250, torto fan $628, artemis fan $500, brisa fan $1128, enigma fan $999]

[images above, clockwise from top left: acero fan $350, paris fan $429, retro fan $670, machine age copper fan $349 (love this one!), vent bettina fan $1273]

CLICK HERE for the full fan roundup after the jump!

[images above, clockwise from top left: centaurus fan $1089, blow fan $880, pensi fan $352, diane fan $266, screenprinted blow fan $884, cirrus fan $430+, starlet fan $369]

[images above, left to right: chinoiserie fan $490, glass and bronze fan $250]

[images above, clockwise from top left: pewter fan $545, hunter 1886 fan $490, micro fan $124.20]

[images above, left to right: involution fan $293, ball fan with light $485]

1. Torie says:

Ceiling fans have become quite a way to add an interesting design feature to a room as well as being functional – especially during a hot summer! Thanks for posting such a great variety of options!

2. These are all much better options than my 4 needs-to-be-replaced ugly ceiling fans – but they still aren’t doing it for me! I’m thinking I’m just not a ceiling fan kind of girl :)

3. Ceiling fans are such a great way to better circulate air and as a girl that grew up in Georgia they were a necessity, and can actually look quite chic. It always baffled me why the Trading Space designers always immediately removed ceiling fans in the rooms they designed and didn’t replace them with perhaps a more design pleasing style. Form and function are not mutually exclusive.

4. Leila says:

I have such a love/hate relationship with fans…don’t care for how they look, but love the air movement down here in the south! Though this round up has some really good looking ones! I really love the Paris one and think it would look perfect in the living room of our little renovation cottage!

1. grace says:

leila

i’m the same way. i actually HATE ceiling fans, even the coolest ones here I still for the most part wouldn’t want to put up (except for that funky copper one). but man, they make a huge difference and, for me, they beat air conditioning all the time.

g

5. agreed not much of a ceiling fan person but the copper fan is simply AMAZING!

6. Livi says:

I didn’t know there was such a variety out there!

7. Ceiling Fan Kaput says:

Do you have any suggestions for covering up a ceiling fan that doesn’t work? I’m not really a big fan fan to begin with, and mine died a few years ago. When I have the money, I’ll bring in an electrician to remove it and possibly replace it with an ABC Home-style chandelier. For now, I’d like to try swathing it in fabric or something.

Or does this sound ridiculous?

Thanks.

1. grace says:

cfk

honestly i’d front the money to have it removed- it’s not as expensive as it might sound (a friend of mine had that done for $150 here in nyc, which is usually overpriced) and it might be worth the hassle of covering a huge fan with fabric ;)

g

8. Lily says:

As attractive as these are and as much as I couldn’t live without my ceiling fan, I believe in stealth ceiling fans that blend in with the ceiling. I picked Casablanca fans with no visible vents on the underside, no lights, and every centimeter is the color of the ceiling. You don’t even see them, because who wants to? Ceiling fans are visual clutter for the most part. I couldn’t be happier.

9. Sarah says:

Only “slightly” off topic…but what font did you use for “Ceiling Fan”? I love it!

1. grace says:

sarah

it’s “perla” at veer.com :)

g

10. Rowland says:

@Ceiling Fan Kaput, Taking down a ceiling fan is no hard. Make sure the breaker is turned off for the fan. then grab a screwdriver and some pliers and a crescent wench. Yo can find instructions on how to put up a ceiling fan online, just do that in reverse. Cap the wires that were connected to the fan with wire nuts and you are done. Wow, if that is worth 150 dollars I’m living in the wrong place.

1. grace says:

rowland

i’m glad you can take it down on your own- lord knows i’d love to have those skills. i’m always hesitant to suggest ANYTHING involving electricity when people aren’t familiar with it. the potential for danger/shocking always exists and i want people to avoid that at all costs if they’re unsure of how to do it.

g

11. Stasia says:

We just installed a new ceiling fan in our bedroom :) I absolutely love it and it was about $150 at Home Depot :)

12. dotdotdot says:

These are stunning, and I hadn’t thought of exploring the possibilities of ceiling fans. However, my favorite fan is still this handmade beast of a thing that I found at an estate sale last year; the safety guards are barely a guard against anything, and it’s just a big blocky chunk of fantastic.

13. I’m currently trying to rid my house of all ceiling fans. : ) I second what Rowland said. Taking a fan down is super easy. I’ve removed several and I have weak girl arms!

14. Kelly says:

I’m doing a master re-do soon, and am in the market for a new fan. (Can’t WAIT to replace the ugly white & brass one that’s up now.) Living in hot, inland Souther California, taking down the fan & replacing it with a beautiful fixture or chandelier isn’t really an option.

I really wanted the Acero cage (the 1st on the 2nd pic) but after a lot of thought (& consideration of our budget) — I think I’m going with less is more. Like Lily above, I think blending into the ceiling is my best option.

15. Luka says:

I vowed to never have a ceiling fan but after last summer’s electric bill I succumbed and bought the ball fan you pictured. one of the best decisions ive made.

16. NancyO says:

Top ceiling fans should probably be narrowed to … Top Ceiling Fans for Large Rooms (small, medium, modern, verstility, etc).

Over the past week, I have been searching for ceiling fans too. I live in Colorado, so while it gets hot – it doesn’t get hot enough for AC. I have come to terms with installing a ceiling fan in my bedroom.

First step was determining the size .. I thought this website was helpful in determining the size.

I searched Home Depot, Lamps Plus, Lowes and Overstock and felt very limited in the under $100 market. I live in an old house with very small rooms and in the small fan market, I felt like the choices were light-less, had sponge bob on it, or looked like it came out of a my grandmom’s house (no offense, grandma!)

My favorite fan (for small rooms) under $100 is the Hampton Bay Bryant. It is slightly modern but not overly modern & trendy (my house is old and it’s just not the style). Thankfully, I found this guy at Home Depot for under $100. I would have liked a pricier option but this works.

17. Esther says:

I’ve found that some of the hardware store fans that look nice have lights that aren’t very bright. We are very happy with these Minka0-Aire Concept fans for less than $300 (we needed 3 fans so it adds up):
    Here in Florida fans are a necessity.

18. Christine says:

Okay, well now I can’t live with out the machine age copper fan. I hope you are proud of yourselves.

19. hrhkat says:

there isnt one type of fan i wouldnt die to have, from the chinoiserie fan to that copper fan…i would take all of them

20. Catherine says:

I love the two very modern ones in the top photo.

21. Sippy says:

If you live down south ceiling fans are a necessity. I love all your picks. We bought a fan similar to “Enigma” in the first pic. for our son’s room. Unfortunately, it does not cool nearly as well as the 4 or 5 bladed fans we own.

1. grace says:

sippy

i was curious about that..thanks for the update on that fan’s performance :)

g

22. Nia says:

FYI, in most cities, Home Depot offers free DIY classes on Saturdays, and a class they offer every summer is one that teaches you how to replace ceiling fans. Could you save you from having to hire someone else to do it – just sayin’! (Grace, you may be out of luck. I don’t know if they offer them in NYC.)

1. grace says:

nia

i’m lucky if my local home depot offers to ring up my purchases. the brooklyn home depot is one of the worst home depots i’ve ever been to in my entire life. every time i go i kick myself for putting myself through that frustration again. lowes in brooklyn is a tiny bit better, but man, they don’t hold a candle to the helpfulness i find when i visit my suburban virginia home depot.

g

23. cajeta says:

At barn Light Electric, when you click on “industrial” or “commercial” the fans (no lights…fine w/ me) are much cheaper (100 – $200). Does anyone know the reason? is there a downside to using them in my apt? does anyone know if they are more noisy?

24. Andrika King says:

What a wonderful collection of fans! You just saved me hours of searching for one for my newest nursery design! I can’t thank you enough.

25. Christine says:

This post is so great! I am currently searching for a fan for my guest room with little luck. Most ceiling fans are so ugly but there are alot of beautiful ones to choose from in this post. Thanks for the ideas!

26. 315thomas says:

wow! i’ve never seen such cool ceiling fans… thanks for the inspiration :)

xoxo,
    lesley

27. Urban Sherp says:

I own 2 Minka Aire fans, my beloved Artemis fan and the Concept ceiling fan and I am a complete Minka Aire convert. After using lesser brand fans, that were a pain to install and that were noisy and then discovering Minka Aire I will never go back. Not only are they great looking fans, but the quality, noiselessness and wind is sublime….

28. Urban Sherp says:

Oh and, I am constantly getting compliments on the Artemis fan – it’s an eye catcher!

29. Lovely collection! The house I recently purchased has lots of ceiling fans. Having never had a ceiling fan before I didn’t comprehend how wonderful they are in the summer! I’ve been on the lookout for some nicer ones than the 1970s version I have now. Thanks!

Laura

30. this is both fabulous and necessary.

31. Bernie says:

I’m glad to see this. Ceiling fans have gotten such a bum rap (especially on every design show that replaces them with a chandelier). In Fl. they are a must ,even with a/c on in the summer. I just replaced 3 hideous ones (Hunter ones that wouldnt die) from the 80’s. With only8′ ceilings the low clearance ones are SO much nicer, and less obtrusive.

32. I live in hot humid Dallas where ceiling fans are a must. I don’t like them, but I need them. Thanks for the variety!

33. finally! a conversation about ceiling fans! they are so helpful and yet so ugly, until now! thanks for sharing!
    xo
    bianca

34. We just installed a new ceiling fan in our bedroom :) I absolutely love it.

35. Ava Da Luca says:

Really love all the designs you can get when you are looking for the right ceiling fan.

36. That’s an awesome collection of fan pictures. out here in Hawaii, there aren’t very many places that sell ceiling fans. I don’t think I’ve seen any of the ones in your pictures

37. stacy says:

Hi,
    Can anyone help with advice on regular fans that dont look like Im going to sleep away camp!?
    Thanks!

38. cool fans.. but i wonder how they made this. how they do it.

39. Marvelous job! The content supplied was extremely helpful. I am hoping that you keep up the excellent job executed.

40. Great information. 100% agree. Now more than ever you can find great ceiling fans for a kids rooms , or even sports ceiling fans. For more information please check out noveltywerx

41. Tim says:

I love the more contemporary designs the the Pensi and the Centaurus, so cool!
    I want one lol!