before & after: leslie’s dining room + michael’s bath

this colorful dining room/kitchen before & after comes from leslie huntley at roost interior design. leslie worked to makeover a 1906 bungalow in asheville, north caroline using a mix of family antiques and modern additions (and by taking down a wall to open up the kitchen). i love the clean, colorful look she created, and would be happy to cool in that kitchen any day. great work, leslie!

[have a before & after you’d like to share? just shoot me an email with your images right here! (low res, under 500k per image, please)]

CLICK HERE for michael’s bathroom makeover after the jump!

this next makeover comes from michael montanez at the desctop. michael decided to redo the guest bathroom of his california bungalow in long beach, california. the original bathroom had been treated to an 80’s redo and desperately needed a new look. so michael installed new gray glass subway tile (in a color called “fog”), new hardware, fixtures, and a new sink and tub. my favorite part of the makeover is the clean, simple tilework. the 80’s floor was replaced with a beautiful basket weave marble tile that gives the room a whole new look and feel. well done, michael!

1. Rachel says:

Love it! Its so much brighter and cheery. The white subway tile makes a big difference as well.

2. Nicole* says:

i loooove that rug in the first makeover!!

3. Wendy says:

Some really great details! Thanks for sharing this cute home.

4. Laura says:

I’m in love with that kitchen and totally going to marry it. Love the open shelving, the paint color, the lovely airiness of it. Fantabulous job, Leslie.

5. What a transformation! I like it!

6. Nikki says:

Love the kitchen makeover. Great color. I have an arts and crafts house in Asheville also, so I love to see someone doing great work locally!

7. wow the after shot of the kitchen is especially amazing.

8. kelly says:

that kitchen came out so beautifully. i love how bright and cheerful it is!

9. Alison says:

That dining room is an amazing transformation!

10. Jenn says:

Love the new kitchen color! Dying to know what it is if you want to share. :)

11. Tanya says:

Love the tile replacements. Looks so good.

12. Leslie says:

Thanks so much for the kind comments!

Jenn, the color is
    Sherwin Williams Gleeful

and Nicole, the rug is made up of Flor carpet tiles.

13. Jackie says:

Love the bathroom–a fresh feeling while actually taking it back to a more historic look. I must have that new pedestal sink! (Really, I’m redoing a bungalow and NEED that specific sink–please share the info.)

Can’t share the love for the kitchen. Enough with having to look at dirty pans during the dinner party. And the saddest part is that a perfectly functional–and original, historic–division of space was ruined in the process.

14. Sara says:

Very beautiful!

Anyone have an ideas where those dining room chairs may have come from?

15. wow amazing transformation! They weren’t horrible before but so gorgeous after!

16. Stella says:

Phew that red was not doing the beautiful tile work in the fireplace any favors! Its a shame the dining table had to be painted, but I guess it would have never fit in with the “light and airy” look they were going for if it wasn’t painted white.

17. Keren says:

It’s just beautiful!!
    how did you managed to do that?!
    I adore you

18. Jenn says:

I love white tile with grey grout. So awesome!

19. caroline says:

Those gray glass tiles are gorgeous, and with that hardware on top – swoon.

20. kalanicut says:

Wow, it’s an amazing day for before and afters! Loved the kitchen-dining room redo! That is fantastic!

21. Sarah says:

The bathroom makeover is perfect! Can Michael maybe share where he got the shower and sink hardware?

22. Holyoke Home says:

Oh thank GOODNESS he kept the tub with it’s lovely lines.

23. That kitchen is beautiful now! I love how bright and sunny it is, and also appreciate that she did no upper cabinets except on that one wall on the left–duh I also love the grout and heath ceramics? tiles.

24. Liz says:

Wow, that kitchen looks *fabulous. The chairs around the table in that kitchen are my favorite part! I’d love to know where you got them if you don’t mind sharing.

25. kathy says:

i love before and afters and this kitchen and bath are both fabulous! what a transformation!

26. Justine says:

The bathroom’s transformation was so simple but effective. I love the gray subway tiles!

27. mmm, loving that gorgeous green colour on the walls!

28. Jessica says:

I want to know where the chairs in the dining room are from too! I know there are some similar at CB2, but I think these are a little different.

29. Nicole B says:

I love love love that ktichen! What paint brand and shade is that?? I have a very greyish green in my kitchen and it seems like it could use a vibrant green upgrade like yours! Amazing!

30. Hi Folks,

Thanks again for the comments…the chairs came from advanced interior designs….an online business. The paint is gleeful by sherwin williams.

31. Dee says:

I would like to know what the kitchen counters are made of? I am looking to upgrade but don’t want marble/granite. Your makeover is beautiful!

32. Seraph says:

Jackie–I have to agree with your protests about the kitchen/dining room. As an Ashevillian, I’m torn about this remodel–it’s beautiful, but I’m not sure it belongs in one of my city’s bungalows.

It probably keeps the kitchen cooler though. Hmm.

33. Jen says:

The bathroom is beautiful; very sophisticated and peaceful.

The kitchen is chic and cheery, but I am another bungalow lover. Though it’s beautiful, I don’t know if it really ‘fits’ the bungalow style. Some elements are right, though. Again, it’s beautiful, but…I’m a history buff and love old homes. To each their own, though. I’m still a little piqued at the PO of our home for ripping out the metal kitchen cabinets!

Dee, it’s not my kitchen but I’m wondering if the countertops are concrete? I’ve seen some stunning concrete countertops lately!

34. Leslie says:

Hi Everyone,

The countertops are quartz.

35. Leslie,

Would it be possible to share the colors/styles of the Flor tiles? I really love the feel of the kitchen/dining room now, it’s so airy.

36. Michael says:

Sorry for the delay folks, I’ve been sick. Thank you for the comments about the bathroom. The sink is manufactured by Cheviot in Canada but we ordered it from Faucets n’ Fixtures in Orange, CA. The fixtures are manufactured by Sign of the Crab and we are quite impressed by the quality, despite some grief by our plumber who had some concerns installing everything. As for the tub, it is new, but we had to stick with the same small standard tub by Kohler because of the limited size. I hope this helps.

37. Jamie says:

Great job Leslie. Show us more of your work!

38. Thanks so much, Leslie! You would never, ever guess those were the colors when viewing them on Flor’s website; they look so dark.

39. Leslie says:

Hey Michael,

I love your bathroom and want to ask about the glass tiles in the shower. Are they hard to keep clean?

40. jane Guffy says:

spatial transformation-love the ability to see with the mind’s eye! Clever and beautiful.

41. Kathy Lynch says:

Thanks Leslie for sharing. I got the same chairs from and just love them.

42. Joey Kirk says:

The bathroom renovation is gorgeous. My wife and I are planning to redo ours, and were curious where you purchased the gray glass tiles from. Any help would be great! Thanks!

43. Yuki says:

It all looks great. Who is the lanscape painting in the wooden frame by? Thanks

44. Shivani says:

Love that waste basket! Can you tell me where you purchased it from?