before & after: faith’s church pew headboard

let me start by saying that today’s first before & afters is probably one of my favorite we’ve ever run. partly because it combines my two favorite furniture types (benches and headboards) and mainly because it’s so darn crafty and clever. d*s reader faith buss stumbled upon a set of 3 church pews at a local garage sale and managed to bring home the full set for only $25! faith knew she wanted to transform them into something different so she and her husband picked up a pair of tall casters (to give the bench height) at a junk shop in louisiana and decided to attach them to the bottom to create a rolling headboard! after cleaning the frame and cutting a space for the bed to sit inside the bench, faith and her husband created a completely unique and completely custom headboard! if i could drag one of these suckers up my four flights of stairs and behind my bag, i would do it in a heartbeat. i can’t get enough of this project- well done, faith and family! two very enthusiastic thumbs up!

[have a before & after you’d like to share? just shoot me an email with your images right here! (low res, under 500k per image, please)]

1. Sara says:

Off to find used church pew. :) Great post.

2. Stephanie says:

Fantastic! Brilliant! Love it! I could go on and on…

3. faith says:

Thanks for all the fantastic feedback! Some of you guys are cracking me up!

I can’t do anything with the other 2 pews yet….they’re being used for seating at an outdoor wedding in september. Any crazy ideas for what to do after that?

4. Kristan says:

LOL to Frances!!!

I’m not even religious and I’d feel odd about doing something like this myself… BUT I think it’s an awesome idea. Cool, functional, *and* attractive. Amen!

5. Elizabeth says:

brilliant idea! i love it.

this has caused me to currently be deep in brainstorming thought on how I can duplicate this for myself!

6. hrhkat says:

that headboard is genius magic…..

its very nakashima…its perfect the way it is…but it would be even more unique if they covered the back and tufted it. Im just not a huge fan of hard headboards…i like the look of them, but I could never sleep on one.

7. Michaela says:

This is simply great!

8. amanda says:

brilliant! genius idea!!!

9. Chat M says:

A brillant idea ! Good state of mind.

10. Helen says:

genius idea for sure! and the room has a calm feeling to it in spite of the red blanket! Love it!

11. Robert says:

Your idea with the church pew is a great look I did’nt this it was going to look that good,when I saw church pew head board.

12. angie says:

sinners…!
    : )

13. Tamara says:

wow. im speachless! its beautiful! i want it!

14. Dora says:

It’s beautifull. I don’t think I could bear to cut mine though…it has sentimental value…How about one dandy big long porch swing?

15. jen says:

this just does not look right to me. Very sad to do that to the pew.

16. Susan says:

bravo! I would have never been brave enough to cut into it. And it worked BEAUTIFULLY!

17. Janick - Nea says:

Hahah! How cooool is that headboard! Total.Genius!!

18. Francine says:

Terrific idea! It feels like in church forever…

19. so funny, i was just checking out this post before looking at ds: http://designvagabond.blogspot.com/2010/06/blend-by-mieke-meijer.html

20. hanmeng says:

I don’t consider myself fussy, but I’d keep wondering whose butt had sat next to my head.

21. Melissa Swanson says:

Beautiful. Well done!

22. Alma says:

So perfect! I think this is my favorite b&a.

23. monica says:

i absolutely love this idea! wonder if my village church has any pews from when they renovated and are willing to donate them… i’ll just have to find out!!!!!

24. Morgan says:

I think that was just BRILLIANT!!!!

25. Hmm, I’ve got two of these in my home. I wonder if I should…

26. IAMSNWFLAKE says:

Cool! Headboard and both side tables out a beautiful pew. The casters are a brilliant idea too. Can’t wait to see what the other two pews will turn into.

27. Mark Beckert says:

Very creative! Excellent idea and workmanship!

28. Sheryl says:

How long is the pew? and what size mattress? Thanks. Faith how creative. Please let me know what size pew this is an for what size mattress.

29. Karla says:

I really, really like it but my pew came from the old country Church my grandparents attended and I don’t want to cut it. I might not always want to use it as a headboard.

Sentimental.

30. Scott says:

I would never have thought to use a church bench as a headboard. Very cool idea.

31. Beth says:

I am a pastor and I see people sleeping on the pews every Sunday so I think this is brilliant! Beautiful and creative!