before & after: nonpareil hutch + rebecca’s fireplace

i always love seeing behind the scenes of a magazine photoshoot, and this before & after gives us a little peek into a shoot for nonpareil magazine. bethany of b*spoke and maddy of inspired bride bought this hutch on craigslist for $75 specifically for the nonpareil shoot. they thought that red/pink color was a little too much for the shoot, but the form itself was perfect for their “modern marie antoinette” themed shoot. so they sanded it down, repainted with a rich cream paint, and added wallpaper from target to the back of the hutch. the original antique gold hardware was saved and now matches the look of the piece so much better. great work, ladies!

*stay tuned for one more before & after at 2pm!

[have a before & after you’d like to share? just shoot me an email with your images right here! (low res, under 500k per image, please)]

CLICK HERE for rebecca’s fireplace before & after after the jump!

i understand the pain of people stuck with ugly tiles in their home. i would give anything to be allowed to rip out the prison-gray tiles in my bathroom and replace them with bright white wainscoting. rebecca from bananasaurus rex (i love that name and her blog) was in the same position but thought of something much more clever to deal with her icky tile situation. rebecca’s self-described “suburban tract home” was in need of an update so she embarked on a mission to, “kick the ever-lovin’ tract out of my home”. to cover the fireplace’s red tiles, she used book pages, mod podge and a little elbow grease to cover up the tile and give the entire corner a new look. click here to read more about the project and see some additional images. thanks, rebecca!

1. abby says:

I love the nonpareil makeover…but even more I love the painted candlesticks with the white plates and dishes on top!!!! I see a visit to the thrift store coming soon!

2. Sing says:

I have a very similar fireplace setup with the tile. Would love to try something like this. Is it easy to remove for us renters?

3. Looks nice and it is easy to remove.

4. Elissa says:

I’m assuming she doesn’t actually use that fireplace. It does look cute though!

5. Stella says:

I agree the original fireplace tiles were lacking character, but the book pages and lace just look tacky to me. It looks easy enough to tear out the old tile and find charming antique tile to replace it.

6. kim says:

really hoping she doesn’t use the fireplace….

7. Love the look of the new tiles … great idea if you can’t afford to replace them. Wondering if you could get a similar effect if you used a tile transfer kit and created your own “designs”?!

I checked out the link to the “sketch book” project … what a great idea … it’s on my “to do list”.

8. Sandy says:

i do love that hutch with the pink color, but the after with the damask wallpaper is just soo pretty!!

9. Shannyn says:

Love the hutch makeover! i never would have thought to use printed wallpaper for the backdrop of the hutch. It really makes it so unique!

10. willow says:

I don’t think I will ever get why people feel the need to share their negative feelings on before and afters. One person’s tacky is another person’s clever solution, right?

11. what a great makeover. i am especially loving the cake stands lined up on the hutch!

12. The hutch is sweet in the ivory color, but I too think the sweets on top are the real focal point. I love the cake stands. I have a thing for cake stands!

13. HollyP says:

OMG, and to think I gave away a hutch just like the nonpariel… that is lovely!

14. H says:

the hutch is such an inspiration!!! this motivates me to do my own. please include more of these posts!

15. Claire says:

I have seen a lot of furniture pieces made over with the use of wallpaper segments. Is there any way to find a cheaper substitute? Anyway to buy just a few pieces instead of a large bundle that costs around $100?? Would love any suggestions! thanks!

1. grace says:

claire

you can use gift wrap instead of wallpaper and attach it with mod podge or regular wallpaper glue ;)

g

16. Kat says:

We had horrid tiles in our kitchen, but don’t own. Solution? High quality contact paper and a sharp razor blade. It look a lot of time, because to make it look good you have to cut each piece along the tile grouting, but it was so worth it. And it’s been great for the kitchen because clean up is as easy as with tile. When we leave, we’ll be able to peel it right off. It was the dream solution for us.

17. mandy says:

OMG Kat, that’s brilliant and I am going to do that next weekend for my sad sad ugly rented kitchen!

18. Deb says:

Nice job on the Hutch..thinking it would have been a nice little student computer desk as well…I also liked the black floor tile painted for beckys fp…the paper is different..good job ladies : )

19. immobilier says:

Bonsoir les gens quel est votre avis de mon nouveau site sur l’immobilier?