under $100: wallpaper

for this week’s under $100 roundup i thought it would be fun to tackle an area that so many of us are interested in: wallpaper. when most people think of wallpaper, they think of huge price tags and hours of painful wallpaper hanging. and while that last bit might be a necessary part of the deal, the former definitely isn’t. these days wallpaper brands are branching out and offering more and more affordably priced wallpaper rolls. so today i’ve rounded up 32 of my favorite designs, as well as a few extra wall accessories and wallpaper tools to go with them. if you’re like me and tackling a small space or just an accent wall, you may be able to get away with just one of these rolls, but if you’re working on a larger space be sure to measure properly so you order enough wallpaper to finish the job. all of these rolls featured here today are under $100 (there are 3 that are a smidge over, so i didn’t count them in the total number above), so hopefully the next time you think about wallpapering you’ll be able to imagine a slightly less scary price tag for the project. i hope you’ll enjoy these selections, and if you’ve got tips for affordable wallpaper feel free to share them below!

*ps: be sure to check ebay and craigslist for affordable wallpapers as well. i didn’t list any here this time because they often sell out before i can hit “publish”, but be sure to browse their listings for great deals.

[image sources, clockwise from top left: eco highway bird wallpaper $48 per roll, rhino bust $68 (made from recycled bags and vintage book pages), julia rothman treet wallpaper $105 (this goes a tiny bit over but is so pretty in person i thought it was worth the extra 5-er), patterned roller to replicate wallpaper with paint $59, dotswald wallpaper $88, ]

[image sources, clockwise from top left: viva wallpaper $69.99, toile wallpaper $34.98, feather wallpaper $85, gravity wallpaper $85, marquee letters $178 (one little splurge since these aren’t the focus of the roundup)]

[image sources, clockwise from top left: ribbed wallpaper $85, little leaves wallpaper $85, grand game wallpaper $88, jaisamand wallpaper $74.99, acid etched letter $14]

[image sources, clockwise from top left: trippy wallpaper $49.99, door knob hook $14, nethercote wallpaper $105 (ditto on the extra 5-er), grand jubilee wallpaper $60, damask spot wallpaper $69.99]

[image sources, clockwise from top left: charming soft green wallpaper $48, fir tree wallpaper $85, grand jubilee in cream $60, paintable wallpaper $34.99, vintage enamel wall numbers $15]

[images above, clockwise from top left: lady of the manor wallpaper $88, nethercote wallpaper $105, silver circle wallpaper $69.99, sunburst wallpaper $69.99, stripe wallpaper $34.98, faux mable finish rollers (creates a wallpaper like pattern with paint) $6.79 for 2), wall flower art $45+]

[image sources, clockwise from top left: wild flower wallpaper $85, delicate damask wallpaper $69.99, mystique wallpaper $74.99, paint by number wallpaper $22, odyssey wallpaper $69.99]

[image sources, clockwise from top left: mode ellinor wallpaper $69.99, delight wallpaper $75]

[image sources, clockwise from top left: birdcage wallpaper $69.99, flower power wallpaper $49.99]

1. hallelujah! i’ve been on the HUNT for wallpaper {beyond the obvious roosters-in-the-kitchen} and this post is the answer to all of my problems!

thank you thank you thank you!

2. stephanie says:

Great choices! I’m planning on using a grasscloth paper on one wall in our new living room. I can’t wait to get it hung up; it’s going to make such a difference.

3. These are so great! I’m looking hard for new wallpaper, and I think I just hit the jackpot!

4. Thank you so much for this feature. I LOVE wallpaper, but I don’t have the cash for those expensive rolls. All of these options are amazing!

5. Isabella says:

Great post! We have in our half-bath the modgreenpod grand jubile in cream and love it!!
    Yesterday I ordered the pointy paper from makelike and I can’t wait to see it.
    Wallpaper brings a lot of charm and character to rooms and I’m happy it’s back.

6. Beanie says:

Grace, et al.,
    Thank you! Can someone please let me know if there is any way to order less than one roll from ANY company? I’ve tried a few of them (by contacting via email), with no luck so far. My next choice is ordering something from ebay, although I haven’t seen anything on there yet that works quite right. I’m just covering a headboard, but I’m not ready to spend $155 on it! I wish someone would just send me some scraps! Thanks for any info anyone has.

1. grace says:

you can order samples from a lot of people, but i don’t know of sized in between a roll and a small sample sheet. i’d try ebay and craigslist, but all of these are under $100 so they should help ;)

7. Love this post. We recently scored a few rolls off of our Anthropologie’s sale section for some super fun, graphic paper. We’d been wanting something for a while, and the price tag was just too good to pass up!

And because we have a little left over, I’m thinking it would be fun to frame for other people as gifts, or maybe for a future home.

8. Sonja B. says:

I had no idea target had wallpaper — let alone beautiful relief paper that can be painted. Woo hoo! I cannot wait to look at all their options! Nice reporting!

9. Isabella says:

Have you considered using fabric for your headboard project? There are so many beautiful options and you can buy by the yard. Just an idea. ..

10. Neaner says:

Beanie: you can order a selection of julia rothman wallpapers by the yard from Hygge and West for $20.

Hope this is helpful!

11. Leah says:

Hi! Love all the choices but just had to point out the Ferm Living wallpaper on the US website is over $100 (usually $110). I know b/c I’ve been waiting forever for it to go on sale. Thanks for all of the options & I know it isn’t too much over $100 but too pricey for my sad budget.

1. grace says:

i converted the prices on their main website from euros to dollars and they’re $88. that’s so odd that they’d be more in the US. maybe you can order from the site i linked to above instead? ;)

if those are too pricey there are many more in the guide that should fit your budget.

12. jane says:

grace, have you done a post on how to pick wallpaper? I find I love them all and cannot decide what wall or room would look just right with paper.
    Great list!

1. grace says:

It really depends on your taste and style- I don’t think there are any cut and dry rules that I abide by :)

13. emily says:

we used this paintable wallpaper in our dining to cover up some horrible paneling and i think it looks excellent.

14. Laura says:

can anyone at design sponge know how to make your own wallpaper using repeating patterns you make on your own computer. I’d love to create something but havent figured out what type of printer/paper/inks you could use, and how they could be sealed. Has anyone tried this?

1. grace says:

i don’t know much about printing, other than kinkos and shops like that will print large-scale and you can use wallpaper glue to apply it. but i much prefer printing with stencils, etc ;)

15. Great post, but everyone should also check out Graham & Brown. http://www.grahambrown.com/us/

They have double rolls for $60 which is pretty cheap! Originally I wanted to do flavor paper… don’t even get me started on how expensive that was.

1. grace says:

a good chunk of the ones listed here are by graham & brown ;)

16. Oops, sorry Grace! Didn’t recognize them from the Target links.

17. Beanie says:

Oh my heaveans! Thanks, everyone, for giving me suggestions about wallpaper by the yard and fabric. I am currently weeding my way through the sites you all suggested and see that there are a few papers that are on sale–like $25 for a roll. Now, if we could only get other designers besides that one to sell by the yard. Part of the point is to see how cheaply I can do this! I may just go with fabric as one of you suggested.
    Thanks again!

18. christiana says:

Hi Beanie, remnants are $20 per yard at fermlivingshop.us too – just email to see what patterns are available!

19. tezgah says:

Great ideas. Thank you so much.

20. Oh fun! I’m getting ready to do a fun lime green damask in my office space with a feature wall. These are all so fun & pop with color & design. Mine is a Graham Brown paper & $60 per roll.

21. Urban Sherp says:

great collection of wall papers – must add MissPrint to the list – a London mother & daughter created line that is eco-friendly to boot!

1. grace says:

urban sherp

i love their papers, but are they under $100?

22. rug cleaner says:

love the selection of wall papers, some are just like my rugs, truly beautiful

23. Decor Girl says:

Great suggestions and sources. I forget about the options beyond the Design Center… Thanks!

24. Kristen says:

We recently installed an entire wall of bookshelves in our loft/study area. The walls are a dark gray, so the bookcases are white to break up the dark color. But the all white is driving me a little crazy, so I’ve been looking for some sort of cool, funky wallpaper to use to make removable inserts to go directly behind the shelves. I haven’t found *anything* I like… until now. And now I have too many choices!! Thank you so much for this post!!

25. MereThayer says:

just bought a couple rolls from Graham & Boardman. $100 for 2 different. hoping to add a little punch and vigor to my drab cubicle. we’ll see how it goes. But I was excited to find them for under $100. good stuff.

26. Sarah Smutny says:

I have another budget wallpaper tipp for you guys: http://www.photowall.se/, a Swedish Wallpaper Producer through whom we sell our wallpaper collection as well. The prices are around $38 per square meter.