sneak peek: angela hardison

angela hardison is a graphic designer and co-owner of seesaw designs – a design and letterpress studio in sunny scottsdale, arizona. she lives in mesa (a suburb of phoenix) with her husband, clint.  little did i know, but apparently arizona is filled with amazing thrift and antique stores, and some of angela’s finds are sold online in her seesaw vintage shop.  we hope you enjoy the beautiful sneak peek into angela’s home! you can find additional images right here. {thanks, angela!}anne

[Our house has a mid-century eclectic feel and is influenced by my love for finding (and bringing home, sometimes to my husband’s dismay) old treasures. As a designer I’m constantly inspired by color, pattern, and texture, so there’s a lot of it throughout each room.  We live in a two-story tract home and the bones of the house are lacking any charm, but I’ve tried to bring character in through all of the thrifted/ antique pieces, estate sale gems and Craigslist finds.]

The yellow lamp was an anniversary present from my husband, and the lamp on the right is one of the many items in the house that has been made over with spray paint. The painting above our bed has moved from room to room, but I prefer it here for now because of the juxtaposition with the mid-century furniture. I bought our entire bedroom set (headboard, nightstands, and 9-drawer dresser) for only $100 on craigslist.

My husband really wanted this old leather chair and I’ve fallen in love with it since. It’s super comfy and the perfect place to curl up with a good book. The ’50s folk art was found while antiquing in Tucson and had to come home with us because it’s just so odd.

The 1905 mahogany upright piano is a recent addition. It took a lot of searching to find one I loved as much as I love playing the piano. On the piano: the beginning to my collection of vintage floral oil paintings and the beloved Penguin classic books designed by Coralie Bickford-Smith.

I was clearly inspired by Lisa Congdon’s plate wall and decided to make my own version in our dining room. I started collecting antique plates but got impatient and bought several new plates as well. It makes me happy every time I walk past it.

CLICK HERE for the rest of angela’s sneak peek after the jump!

Most of our time together is spent in the front room and we enjoy having a lot of seating for visitors. The layout of this room is a challenge because it’s long and narrow, and the front door is smack dab in the middle of the wall.

We were driving around Phoenix one morning and saw the blue mid-century sofa sitting in a driveway at an estate sale. The woman we bought it from was very sentimental and sweet; she started crying, shared memories of the sofa, and hugged me for loving it and wanting to take it home. The danish modern teak coffee table was a thrift score. Neither one of us love the brown leather couch, but it’s really comfy and it’s staying for now.

The Heywood Wakefield chair on the left was in horrible shape when I first picked it up at an antique store, and was my very first furniture makeover project. I bought the 1940’s green chair for next to nothing; it came from a pristine household in perfect shape and is my favorite piece of furniture in the house.

Right now I’m especially inspired by old typography, paper ephemera and vintage patterns, which hang above my desk alongside a favorite photo of my grandmother. I also collect old hardcover books with well-designed covers, and a few of my favorites sit on top of my desk. My husband, who is a commercial real estate appraiser, recently graduated with an English major and loves writing… I can’t wait to design his books someday.

On the shelf in the office: a letterpress tray from my printing studio, a super8 film camera, and a typewriter that was a gift from my husband way back in high school.

Each cupboard in our kitchen has a different knob — favorites we picked out from, of course, Anthropologie. I have a major weakness for patterned vintage glassware and our cupboards are filled with the proof.

1. alex sunday says:

that is, without doubt, my dream bedroom. love it!

2. Love the leather chair. How many people here are ok with buying these types of chairs online versus going to a store? I’ve been more apt to buy furniture online that I (a) know what it feels like and (b) have seen it before.

3. Blue Penguin says:

This has got to be one of my favourite interiors ever – just such a great mix of items. I love the idea of spray-painting a lamp to get your perfect colour… think I may need to give this a try!

4. Kinnic says:

I covet your style. The wall colors, the bedding, the furniture. Everything. Thanks for sharing!

5. Martina says:

Beautiful home! I think the blue sofa is my favorite

6. Christina says:

Angela has such a fabulous eye for anything design related. I am partial to the artwork above her bed.

7. mar says:

wow, i love that a place with carpet is showcased. us carpet-dwellers need more inspiration!

8. Angeline says:

The bedroom set is amazing!!! Do you have any idea what company made it?

9. Nina says:

I love all the colors you have chosen – especially the grey it is so calming.

10. Claire says:

Hi, i love the grey stripe bedding – where is this from please? your house is beautiful :)

11. Michelle says:

i love the green chair! it’s just what i’ve been looking for *sigh*

12. Hannah says:

Tell me where u got the rug in the front room or thw manufacturer of the rug please!!!

13. Jillian says:

Hello. My husband is looking for a leather chair/chaise just like the one you have. Where did you find it? Thank you.

14. – i’m not sure who made the bedroom set.

– bedding is the draper ash stripe from dwellstudio:

– yellow & white rug near the piano is from pottery barn (discontinued now, i think)

– rug in the front room is anthropologie:

– the leather chair/chaise is a vintage set found at a local thrift store

15. Amanda says:

I really like the plate wall, especially the teal-ish peacock plate. Is it vintage or a new purchase? (I notice Lisa has one too).

16. adelheid Pflueger says:

the gray stripes remind me of the old gray striped uncomfortable mattresses of the 1950 era.
    theu look boring, not elegant. The yellow is the color of Gall Blader vomit. Not appealing at all.

17. Vicky says:

Your home is so well put together, I love it! I, too, have the problem of having a living room that is narrow and it’s so difficult to configure the furniture in there and fitting a big TV! Your bedroom is my favorite, especially because I’ve been on the fence about buying that dwell duvet for some time but haven’t had the nerve to shelve out $280 for it… Also, where did your hubby pick up that gorgeous yellow lamp? I love the design!

18. Ruth says:

What are your favorite thrift stores in the Phoenix area besides Goodwill? I’m in Prescott and we have a few here that are fun (e.g. Mid Century Madness) but would love to know where to go in the Valley!