diy project: samantha’s faux-suzani pillow how-to

this fun faux-suzani project comes from samantha baldwin from the new york examiner. inspired by a suzani shown on the home of elle decor, samantha decided to create her own budget friendly faux-suzani pillow using felt. she was kind enough to share the full tutorial with us here today and i’m excited to see the color combinations people try! thanks, samantha! [all images courtesy of samantha baldwin]

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

For this project you will need the following materials:

* A 24″ square pillow form. (A smaller pillow can be used but you will have to adjust the templates accordingly. )
* A 24″ square solid color pillow cover (a felt cover would be optimal).

[Instructions for making this pillow cover are posted here]

* White felt, at least 22 inches square (or another color of your choice)
* Fuchsia felt, at least 10 inches square (or color of your choice)
* Pink felt, at least 10 inches square (or color of your choice)
* Yellow felt, about 10 inches square. (or color of your choice)
* Fabric glue (fusible web interfacing can be used as an alternative)
* A piece of paper at least 22 inches square.

Download and print the following templates and follow the instructions in each article for creating your felt pieces.

* Make a suzani circle motif
* Make a large suzani flower motif
* Make a medium suzani flower motif

Center the medium (pink) suzani flower in the center of the large (fushia) suzani flower and adhere with fabric glue.

Find the center point of your pillow front and glue the large flower so that it is centered on the pillow.

Place the suzani circle (white) around the flower and center. Fold over half of the circle and apply glue.

Lay the circle back down and adhere to pillow cover. Do the same with the second half of the white circle.

Place one small pink flower and two yellow flourishes in each corner of the pillow. Glue down each piece.

Allow the glue to dry.

Set the pillow up to see if any edges need more glue.

You are finished. Enjoy your custom pillow!

1. Beautiful. I love suzani textiles, and this is a really nice twist on the style of those and modern handmade. Really nice!!!

2. kg says:

thanks for the tutorial! your pillow looks great- i might have to try it!

3. fun! I want to make one! I just organized all my fabrics last weekends and found tons of felt I was going to toss….UNTIL NOW!

4. this pillow is so sweet! and seems so easy to make it yourself! I might give it a try! Thank you for the tutorial! xo

5. hena tayeb says:

i just bought tons of felt.. this is a great idea.

6. ChickieLou says:

Wow! That would go PERFECTLY on my bed! Same colors as this ceiling fan treatment I did:

7. Evita says:

Absolutely adorable! I’m bookmarking this. I agree with Robin that it’s a great idea for repurposing felt scraps.

8. cajeta says:

adorable! i need one of these too!

9. Kathy says:

ok I love the pillow, but the design on the outside looks like sperm going after eggs. Sorry I had to say it. But love the project.

10. diana says:

a lvoely idea – but I’d sew instead of glue ;)

11. Christina says:

Really cool transformation of the essence of suzani into a different medium. Might link to it from my blog and write a post about the wonderful suzani exhibition I saw last december. Thanks for the inspiration!

12. jenifer says:

in every single step it gets better and better, love this, always try to use scrap for some new experiments and mostly i did well.

13. Maren Baker says:

This is such a fun idea – easy and a great way to get that suzani look in the exact colors you want!

14. MB says:

For a more long-lasting pillow cover, I bet it would work to use this project and patterns as a guide for applique. Hmmm…when I have some spare time.

15. Tania Mara says:

Gostaria de receber os boletins .Sao lindos os trabalhos…obrigada!Tania Mara

16. Vania Pinto says:

Lovable! Good taste, simple, practical and incredibly beautiful!

17. Devon says:

This is awesome! I will definitely make one. I just finished a design for suzani fabric that can be purchased by the yard!
    You can easily get a pillow made with a small portion of this:

18. T says:

i love this idea!

19. adri says:

all your stuff are amazing. Thx for share