diy project: halligan’s pocket watch wall clock

At my day job I’ve been working on a line of Alice in Wonderland jewelry. I’ve had white rabbits wearing waist coats, mad tea parties, and pocket watches floating around in my mind for weeks now! This project will help you create a giant sized version of the white rabbit’s pocket watch so you’ll never be late for any important date! Halligan

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

• Wall Clock I recommend Ikea’s Dekad
  • Drawer handle that is flat on the bottom
  • Drawer pull
  • 3 feet plastic chain
  • 5 inch wooden dowel
  • 2 flat sided wooded balls
  • Gold spray paint
  • Nuts to fit drawer pull screw
  • Gold spray paint
  • Gold leaf
  • Tools:
  • Hot glue gun
  • Xacto knife
  • Spray adhesive
  • Drill
  • Soft makeup brush
  • Wire cutters

1. With painters tape, cover the face of clock. Rub well into crack between glass and rim.

2. Xacto in the edge between tape and glass clock rim, and pull away excess tape.

3. Cover clock, handle, and knob with a heavy layer of spray adhesive apply gold leaf. It’s nice to have a soft makeup brush to help you brush away and burnish the gold leafing surface. Let gold leaf dry overnight.

4. Remove painters tape from glass face.

5. Drill a hole in the side of your clock at the 3 o’clock spot. Thread washers onto the knob’s screw, thread through hole, and twist on your knob.

6. Glue the two flat side wooden balls to both ends of wooden dowel.

7. Cut the last link of plastic chain in half and hot glue to middle of dowel.

8. Spray dowel and chain with gold spray paint

9. Loop opposite end of plastic chain to handle and hot glue to the top of your clock.

Hanging tip! To hang your end bar with no nails showing. Drill two small holes on the back of the two end balls for nails on the wall to sit inside of.

1. Brandi says:

LOVE this! How fun and whimsical. As soon as I find time, I definitely going to try this one out! Thanks for sharing!

2. Allison says:

Very cute!
    It might be easier to take off the clock’s frame and spray paint it separately instead of covering the glass. Most wall clocks are easy to take apart with a screwdriver.

3. Tanya says:

I love these DIY projects

4. Jay says:

Holy moly this is the most creative DIY project I’ve ever seen! And it looks so delightful on your wall!

5. Great idea! A very useful thing and a very easy DIY. Thanks!

6. Beverly says:

Oh I love this!!! Thanks for the excellent tutorial. This is too fun. :)

7. Megan says:

Very cool project! I bet it would look awesome with an antiqued finish, too.

8. Jo Packham says:

This is such a great project! Clocks are my favorite thing …. time is just so important to all of us!

9. Joyce says:

A different look for a clock. This would look fabulous on any wall!! Definitely bookmarking this to try out!! Thanks!

10. Elle Sees says:

Simply delightful. REminds me of my grandfather and I love it.

11. Theresa says:

My grandparents had one of these!! I remember that house like it was my own. I find myself mimicking it when I am furnishing my own place. I will have to do this to continue their tradition!!

12. MyOhMichael says:

This was JUST what I was in need of! I have been on the hunt for “the perfect clock” for months now and finally- I found it! I made my version of this (bigger and sans gold leaf) over the weekend and I’m so in love! Thank you for the wonderful idea!

13. Alyse says:

This is awesome. It makes me think of Alice in Wonder Land.

14. Bella says:

Thank you so much for this amazing tutorial!

This is my result:

1. grace says:

bella that’s awesome!! thanks for sharing :)