this thursday marks the beginning of housing works‘ sixth annual design on a dime event. every year housing works puts together a beautiful event where all sorts of amazing designers (including my favorite- the housing works in-house design team) create vignettes that are auctioned off piece by piece to provide lifesaving services to homeless and low-income new yorkers living with HIV and AIDS. i visited for the first time last year and was blown away by the creative room displays. so i was thrilled when housing works offered to give 5 d*s readers VIP passes (normally $150 each) to the event. in order to choose the lucky readers, we decided to have a little mini 3-day contest to find some great local readers (or non-locals who are willing to travel to nyc) who’d like to visit this year’s design on a dime. how does the contest work? here are the details:
- send us 5-10 JPEGs (low res, attached to your email please) of how you’ve used thrift store goods to decorate your home [send all emails to designsponge [at] gmail [dot] com, subject “design on a dime contest”]
- in your email, please identify which items are thrifted and why you enjoy decorating with pre-owned pieces
- what qualifies as thrifted? anything you’ve found at thrift stores, flea markets, ebay, craigslist, housingworks’ online shop, etc. (curbside finds are ok)
- emails are due on wednesday, may 5th by 10pm EST
- winners will be announced thursday, may 6th and our new VIPs will have their tickets waiting for them at the event in nyc that evening!
thanks so much to housing works for sharing VIP tickets with us, and congrats on their 6th year of great design for a great cause.