Behind the Bar with Aran Goyoaga

Lately Ryan and I have been posting recipes from inspirational duos but this month we are excited to feature one incredibly talented lady who easily has the creativity and passion of two people. Having been featured several times on Design*Sponge I am sure most of you are familiar with Aran Goyoaga, pastry-chef, food stylist, photographer and blogger extraordinaire. This month’s drink, Ginger and Strawberry Bubbles, is one to make your mouth water. While it sounds seriously complex (I was wary of attempting the homemade ginger ale too) it really isn’t hard and is definitely worth the extra days wait for proper fermentation! Ryan and I débuted the drink earlier this week at a Cinco de Mayo celebration and it was a huge hit. Among my friends I am known as the girl who burned a pop tart (the box said 3 seconds – I assumed it meant 3 minutes, a simple mistake really) and now I am making my own ginger ale! We hope you enjoy! Now on to Aran…-alissa + ryan

“Now that summer is approaching, I was thinking of something classic and refreshing that would be fun to serve guests. A friend told me about homemade ginger ale a couple of years ago and when I made it, I was hooked. The strawberry consommé is sweet, bright and the essence of the strawberries, which are at their peak in Florida. I left the vodka out for myself, but those around me really enjoyed a little bit in there!”

CLICK HERE for more of Aran’s beautiful images & the full drink recipe after the jump!

Ingredients:

Homemade Ginger Ale:
2 Tbs grated fresh ginger
1 cup sugar
½ cup water
Juice of 1 lemon
1/8 tsp active dry yeast
8 cups water

In a small pot, add the grated ginger, sugar and ½ cup water. Bring to a boil and let sugar dissolve. Remove pan from heat and let the syrup steep and cool for about 30 minutes.
Strain the syrup through a fine sieve. Mix with the lemon juice, yeast and 2 qts of water. Whisk together and using a funnel, pour into a plastic bottle. Screw the cap on the bottle. Make sure it is a plastic bottle and not glass as the gases from the fermentation can crack the glass jar.

Let it ferment at room temperature for about 2 days until carbonation forms. Make sure to refrigerate after it starts to carbonate.

Strawberry Consommé:
1 lb fresh strawberries, sliced
½ cup sugar

In a bowl, toss together the strawberries and sugar. Cover the bowl and let them macerate for 24 hours. The strawberries will release all their juices.
Strain through a fine sieve. Do not press the strawberries too much as we only want to collect the clear juice.

Mixology:
1/2 cup homemade ginger ale
1 Tbs strawberry consommé
1 Tbs vodka to taste (optional)
Fresh lemon slices
Strawberries

In a rocks glass mix the ingredients.  Add ice to chill.  Squeeze a fresh lemon to taste and garnish with fresh lemon and strawberry slices.  Serve and enjoy!

A little bit about Aran:
Aran Goyoaga, originally from Bilbao in the Basque region of Spain, is the writer, stylist and photographer behind the award-winning blog Cannelle Et Vanille. Her love of food began growing up in her grandparents’ pastry shop and she has always been inspired by her father and brother who are artists and avid photographers. She studied business and economics, but left that field to pursue a career in pastry. After working in professional kitchens for years, she now works as a freelance food writer, stylist and photographer. She is the mother of a 3-year-old boy and a 5-month old girl and works out of her South Florida home studio.

1. Fabulous pics as always Aran and how cute is that pic of you and your daughter?! She looks like a really happy little sweetie. Loving the straws too ;)

2. Rick says:

lovely lovely drink and images! i can imagine sipping one right now and can’t wait to actually try it. aran’s definitely one of my favorite photog/stylists, great to see her featured here again.

3. Shirin says:

oh my.. this looks so refreshing and delicious!

4. Flo Makanai says:

Beautiful pics, and I +++ love the last lovely and beaming one. Thanks to both of you!

5. Thanks for sharing the recipes. Those drinks looks so yummy and refreshing. Can’t wait for summer weather to come back to France to make it.

6. I just LOVE Cannelle Et Vanille! And this post is no exception! These drinks are lovely and perfect for summer :) I’m also adoring that photo of Aran & her beautiful daughter!

7. Kasey says:

This sounds amazing! I wish this was up 2 days ago so that I could have made it in time for Mother’s Day brunch. Doesn’t sound too difficult, either :)

8. Lara says:

So…are you supposed to add 7 cups or 8 cups (2 quarts) of water to the ginger syrup in the ginger ale recipe?

9. Aran says:

Lara- sorry for the mistake. It’s supposed to be 8 cups of water.

Thanks everyone!!!

10. Livi says:

yummy summer drinks are the best!

11. Andy says:

This looks amazing, and I think I’m going to give it a shot for this weekend. I was wondering, for the strawberry consomme, do you cover the strawberries with a towel and just leave them out at room temperature, or refrigerate them?

12. cindy says:

so sweet and lovely aran!

13. Julie says:

Mmm ginger ale, I’m definitely giving this a go…

14. Aran says:

Andy- cover the bowl and keep it in the refrigerator. You could do it at room temperature overnight too. Hope you make it!

Thank you!

15. Stephanie says:

This looks and sounds absolutely fantastic! How long will it keep, once it has carbonated and in the fridge?

16. Aran says:

Stephanie- I don’t even know as it has never laster in the fridge that long! :) I think that it would last a good week or so. Try it and let me know if it makes it that long! :)

Thank you!

17. Bobbi says:

I’ve got the ginger syrup cooling! I’m so excited!

18. Gail B says:

I love Aran’s recipes! I look forward in giving this a go. Great pictures Aran!

19. Gail B says:

I love her recipes! I look forward in giving this a go. Great pictures Aran!

20. Wow! These are definitely making it into my summer recipe file.

21. Miranda says:

Where in south Florida? Just a hello from a reader in Tampa :)

22. Aran, I’ve been following your blog for ages and love the photography, the styling and the food!!! Good to see you here too!

23. anushruti says:

I love ginger ale! Thank you for this wonderful and easy recipe.

24. Lovely as always, Aran.
    I was really craving some real ginger ale towards the end of my pregnancy. If I had only known how easy it was! I will be using the ginger ale recipe next time (my baby is 2 months old now). I love seeing the photo of you and the baby; I don’t recall ever seeing a photo of you since I’ve been reading your blog, and it’s such a fun picture!

25. max says:

It must be delicious…I’m not a big fan of ginger, but my boyfriend loves ginger ale, so I must show him this post, he’ll love this drink.

26. Marsha says:

Love Aran. Now I love you. Wonderful post.

27. Lara says:

Thanks for clarifying, Aran! My husband loves ginger ale, so I knew I had to make this.

28. woolies says:

I love ginger ale, cannot wait to make this! Thank you! (Hmmm, I’ll be leaving out the vodka…)

29. laura says:

I love the smiling picture of you and your little girl, Aran… I started this Friday in order to take it to a get together today (Sunday)- everyone was so intrigued with the idea of homemade ginger ale, and it turned out a huge success. The strawberry juice adds beautiful color and flavor. Thank you!

30. Karin says:

I´m sipping the ginger ale now and it´s really good!
    The strawberries are not in season yet so I´ll have to make it again later

31. jenifer says:

i’m drooling, definitely gonna try this thanks for sharing and the last photo is so cute.

32. virginia says:

as with clafouti, the recipe looks intimidating, but i think after i practice making it a couple of times, it will be a quick and pretty addition to a brunch buffet.

33. Oh, this looks so refreshing and delicious!
    I am going to have to throw a petite garden party when the sun comes out and serve this from a big glass bowl:)
    Thank you for!

34. Louccee says:

Cant wait to make this (and for summer to appear!)
    Is that one-eighth of a teaspon of yeast? In other words, just a pinch, right?

35. Deeba says:

She is inspirational, she is beautiful and she is immensely talented! Aran is the best! Gorgeous post about a gorgeous lady … and how precious baby M is!

36. Kate says:

Amazing, amazing, amazing – absolutely the most perfect looking cocktail and combines my very favorite things!!! Thank you SO much!

37. Deeba says:

I made it last week, with a peach consomme … and we loved it! Thank you for sharing it so beautifully!

38. evelio says:

D*S please update the recipe to 8 cups of water vs 7 to fix typo. Made it then read comments, hoping that adding the additional cup will still be ok before putting it in fridge.

Thanks Aran.

1. grace says:

evelio

i wasn’t aware of this change to the recipe, sorry. i’ll update this now.

g

39. Eva Lindeman says:

just made this, very curious how it will turn out :)

40. Hi there, I just needed to state how interesting I find this blog!

41. I found this on pinterest and landed here. After reading more I wasn’t surprised to see this is Aran Goyoaga’s work. I follow her blog and love it, her eye for detail and creativity as well as simply beautiful photos. I am excited to try out this recipe and wish I had found this last year while living in France! Thanks for sharing.

42. Great story, photos and recipe! Thanks for sharing..Love Aran’s work!

43. Jamie Graves says:

I saw this on someone’s board and decided to check it out. My only question is “what’s the alcohol content” of this when it’s ready. This is obviously not soda pop which is what I thought it was when I clicked on it.