before & after: lauren’s nursery

as i edge closer to 30 and my biological clock starts to tick at a deafening volume (poor ac has to listen to me “ooh” every time a cute baby comes on tv these days. sorry, ac) i find myself drawn more and more to nursery makeovers. this beautiful makeover comes from lauren at with two cats. lauren is a mom-to-be and she recently, with the help of her family, completed a nursery makeover for her impending bundle of joy, violet. i love the calm, cool colors lauren used and her use of (my favorite accent color ever) orange to bring a little extra brightness to the room. you can read more about the makeover right here, or check out my favorite 10 photos from the project above and after the jump below. thanks, lauren!

[have a before & after you’d like to share? just shoot me an email with your images right here! (low res, under 500k per image, please)]

1. Lucky little Violet to come home to such a beautiful room. I can’t decide what I like best – the colors, the window seat (I LOVE window seats) the tree….

2. Yanet says:

What a great and calming room! What is the name of the blue/grey paint color? As far as the rug, when a baby is on the rug/floor, a baby is usually attended. Not just left on the rug to chew away. So I don’t see it as being a problem. How did people survive back when shag carpeting was all over the floor??!!

3. This nursery is sooo beautiful! Excellent job!

4. Lisa says:

Anna said it all by making a great point about bumbers and bumping their little heads; which is why I also used bumpers and why I was happy to see them on the crib! Really for the first 3 months or so I doubt most babies even sleep in their cribs…either beside their Momma or beside their Momma’s bed in a smaller crib to get their bellies filled during all hours of the night!
    Oh and Grace there is a world full of angry opinionated Mom’s out there so good on you to learn now to take them with a grain of salt – just you wait until you are pregnant or pushing a stroller!
    And, I also need those curtains!

5. Sara says:

This is so lovely and serene.

6. Becky says:

Gorgeous, just gorgeous. That room had good “bones” architectually and they took good-advantage of it!

7. Irene says:

The result is so fresh yet comforting and peaceful. I love it.

8. this room is lovely, absolutely lovely!

9. becky z-dub says:

thanks, lauren! love them!

10. Syndi says:

absolutely beautiful… calming… appropriate… LOVE IT!

11. The tree seems so empty without the little bird from twitter on it! I hereby request that you add the twitter bird.

12. SparkleMe says:

I loved decorating each of my baby’s rooms but when they became toddlers all of that cute went away w/ toys scattered and nothing put back in its place ;)

13. meg says:

Geez. The only problem with a rug in a baby’s room is if it’s not machine washable. Because it will get spit up on.

On SIDS, research has show that it’s more likely physiological than environmental. However, you still should put babies to sleep on their backs and follow your pediatrician’s recommendations.

“Recent research suggests that many SIDS babies are born with brain defects that may increase their risk of SIDS. Studies of SIDS victims show that many SIDS infants have an abnormality in a network of neurons in the brainstem that are involved in the developing and controlling blood pressure and breathing, temperature regulation, and sleep and waking.”

14. Elizabeth says:

Any tips on how to paint that beautiful tree silhoutte?

15. Adrienne says:

this is absolutely beautiful. my own 20something biological clock is making a racket as i look at these shots :)

16. Elizabeth – I have some tips on painting the tree on my blog here. (
    Good luck!

17. Melissa says:

Love the cool blue and warm orange combo, particularly in the nursery. So fresh and modern! Thank you for the inspiration!

18. amanda says:

love this room!! where is the crib from?

19. Laura says:

Hi Lauren – where did you get the crib bedding? I am looking for modern prints like what you used. Thanks for the info!

20. Mapiurka says:

so nice and calming!

21. A little late but Amanda – the crib is the Delta Jenny Lind from Babies R US, Laura the crib bumper is custom from Etsy seller RockyTopDesign, the sheet is just a basic white sheet you can find anywhere, and the skirt is from Carousel Designs

22. Allie says:

i want to know where you got that chair! looks heavenly to nurse in! so comfy!

23. Ron says:

Beautiful room! what an incredible transformation

24. Rebecca says:

I must have missed it in the comments, can you tell me the namo of the paint? Absoutely love this room!!