working class studio: toile

i’m not afraid to admit i love toile. i think for some people toile seems a little too traditional or fancy- even snooty. whenever i suggest it for someone i tend to get a “that seems like old-lady fabric” response. but i love toile– especially when it’s personalized for an area or specific story. so when i heard that working class studio at the savannah college of art and design produced an entire line of “savannah toile” projects i was SOLD. my favorite place in the world + a pattern i love = heaven. designed by morena guzman, an mfa student at scad, the collection features classic savannah imagery worked into a traditional toile pattern, used for a lovely range of kitchen goods and pillows. i love the colors they chose, and that the prices are all $50 and under. to check out the full collection and shop online, click here. thanks, jessica!

1. Simone says:

I love toile as well and these fun and youthful variations of the print make me less closeted about my secret ;)

2. Nicole says:

Thanks for sharing!! I have never really been a big fan of toile, but love these!! I graduated from SCAD in 2002, and Savannah is definitely my favorite place, and where I consider “home”. I am definitely going to purchase something from this collection :)

On another note: there is a great etsy seller (truche) who makes these GREAT ” I heart… ” necklaces. I had one custom made with the state of Georgia and the heart punched out over Savannah. “I heart Savannah”. I love it and wear it almost every day. Here’s the link:

Tell them nicNikkiNicole sent you

Thanks again for sharing all your great finds! I look forward to reading your blog daily!

1. grace says:

nicole

thanks for that! if they came in gold i would be buying 2 as we speak: georgia and virginia. what a fun idea :)

g

3. La Terra says:

I recently learned of a new print called Harlem Toile by Sheila Bridges that is just beautiful. Check it out:http://www.sheilabridges.com/shopping.html
    If not for the price I would have bought it in yellow.

4. la Terra says:

I had to come back: just checked and realized I’d read the price all wrong and I can have my cake and eat it too! http://stylebent.blogspot.com/2010/04/design-for-who-you-are.html

5. tod says:

i love little old lady fabric! its simply fabulous! the aprons are to die for!! i am trying to find a cute one right now and those seem like they would fit the bill. thanks for sharing your adorable style!!
    xoxo
    tod

6. agnes szucs says:

I too love toile. Here in Hungary it’s neither traditional nor common.
    These prints are a lot bolder tho, and I like the use of bold, basic colors. The aprons a really lovely.
    Best,
    Agnes

7. Diana says:

Yep, love it too. I also like when people trick up toile like this with a different colour palette. Lovely.

8. Janet says:

I redid my bedroom in high school and made my own toile curtains.

Wow it looks pretty neat in the primary colors.

9. Lynn says:

I LOVE toile!

10. dana says:

Ditto, la Terra, on the Harlem toile—it is amazing. LOVE these SCAD designs (but really, can you ever go wrong with SCAD?) and as a very mod woman, I declare my devotion to toile and have even covered the interior door to my garage with it. And my kitchen cabinet panels. And the dining room closet door. What’s next? the entire interior of our walk-in closet (which will require a long business trip on husband’s part so I can “surprise” him when he gets home!

11. Karen says:

Oh how I love this. I am certified “Toile Junky”. I can waste way too much time surfing ebay for toile remnants. I have it in various forms and mixes all over my home and always on the lookout for new interpretations of it. This is fantastic! Thanks for showing.