under $100: rugs

last week when i asked you guys what topics you’d like covered on the under $100 column, i was overwhelmed with emails about affordable rugs. while it’s definitely tough to find good quality rugs for less than $100, i rounded up over 40 examples of great affordable rugs in a range of colors and styles. the majority of these rugs are going to be on the smaller side (the first few images are mainly from anthro because they have some great deals on smaller rugs right now), but a few of these come in decent sizes for under $100, so i hope you’ll find something that works for your home. in the next column i’m going to focus on handmade (and independent) work as much as possible, as handmade rugs under $100 just weren’t happening. so if you have any suggestions for under $100 products that are handmade and would fall into a reasonable price category feel free to leave them in the comment section below (i’m thinking maybe tabletop accessories…).

(Note: Amy M. had some Internet difficulties this week, but Living In will be back next Tuesday!)

[image above, clockwise from top left: coqo rug $78+, fireworks rug $78+, reverie rug $78+, festival rug $68+, trapunto rug $88, light wheel rug $78+]

[image above, clockwise from top left: coqo rug $78, finnia rug $78, squirrel rug $98, festival rug $68+, modern heraldry rug $78]

[image above, clockwise from top left: mantadia rug $78, andalusia rug $39+, hogan rug $20+, owl rug $98, northern lights rug $88]

CLICK HERE for the full roundup (and a TON of rugs) after the jump!

[image above, clockwise from top left: peacock round rug $30, sea turtle rug $78, coqo rug $78, rabbit rug $98, vernal cusp rug $78]

[image above, clockwise from top left: black and white striped mat $39+, koko floormat $60, antoinette rug $34, flower stripe rug $58, sprayed lace rug $68, tattersall rug $28+]

[image above, clockwise from top left: diamond rug $34+, striped FLOR tile $13.99 each, zigzag rug $39]

[image above, clockwise from top left: circle fret rug $95+, safari rug $109 (a tiny bit over, but super cute in person), faro rug $89]

[image above, clockwise from top left: unni rug $19.99, dots rug $45+]

[image above, clockwise from top left: ditsy printed rug $18, chevron rug $18]

[image above, clockwise from top left: hand crocheted rug $100 at etsy, jute diamond rug $24, flor tiles $13.99 each+, cabana stripe map $39]

1. KJ says:

This is a great post…I feel like I change rugs like other people change socks and somehow never manage to get the right one…too small, too shaggy, too hard, too white, too dark…for me, this post shows that there are lots of great rugs out there and that I am somehow impaired in matching them to my rooms and how I use them!!

2. Mary says:

cute doormats, but I was hoping for something approaching rug size.

1. grace says:

mary

there are some decent sized rugs in here. the majority of the anthro rugs are small- but a the other brands are plenty big- just keep clicking ;)

grace

3. Rebecca says:

You start the post off by saying that your readers ask for affordable rugs, I get excited and start clicking. Seeing expensive bathmats/doormats from expensive stores is so frustrating. That’s what I mean by insulting, because this is what you think of your reader’s request.
    I do appreciate the readers that suggested overstock and rugs direct. I actually need a rug, not a bathmat and found some great options there that didn’t make me feel incredibly poor.

1. grace says:

rebecca

if you want to be upset about the fact that i included small rugs, be my guest. but the fact is that they guide has way more than small rugs.

if you’d like them mapped out, here are some of rugs you can get from the guide that are larger:

-5×8: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=1262&f=32281&q=hogan&fromLocation=Search&DIMID=400001&SearchPage=1
      -5 foot round: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&navAction=jump&id=15073398&search=true&isProduct=true&parentid=SEARCH+RESULTS&color=49
      -5×8: http://www.pbteen.com/products/black-and-white-stripe-mat/?pkey=x|4|2||6|rug||0&cm_src=SCH
      -4×6: http://pillowsandthrows.com/kc01402.html
      -4×6: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&navAction=jump&id=17452566&search=true&isProduct=true&parentid=SEARCH+RESULTS&color=000
      -5×7: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&navAction=jump&id=17049511&search=true&isProduct=true&parentid=SEARCH+RESULTS&color=050
      -8×2: http://www.dashandalbert.com/product/view/diamond-black-ivory-indoor-outdoor–RDB170
      -3×5: http://www.westelm.com/products/r656/?pkey=crugs-flooring
      -3×5: http://www.westelm.com/products/r778/?pkey=crugs-flooring
      -4×3: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40126045
      -3×5: http://www.westelm.com/products/r543/?pkey=crugs-flooring
      -5×8: http://www.pbteen.com/products/cabana-stripe-mat/?pkey=x|4|1||6|rug||1&cm_src=SCH

in addition to these rugs, you can also buy all of the flor tiles listed (and many more on their site) for reasonable rates and build them to fit your specific space needs. with many of the tiles starting under $10 a piece you could easily by 10 tiles and make a 3 x 7.5 foot runner or rug.

overstock and rugs direct are great resources, but because i’m not out to list every rug available, but rather rugs that fit stylistically with the site and our readers’ interests, i chose to focus on rugs that i thought would give people what they’re looking for: color, pattern, and an awareness of current trends in the market. it’s pretty darn impossible to find nicely made, style-conscious rugs that are over 5×4 for under $100. i’ve done rug guides over $100 in the past to address larger rugs, but if you want something full-room sized and under $100 it’s going to be a battle. believe me, i looked for them. here are the previous guides i made for larger rugs:

lastly, to suggest that i don’t respect or take my readers’ requests seriously is offensive and frankly, insulting. i work myself to the bone every week producing as much free content as humanly possible, and answering readers requests for information like this via email and formspring from 7am to 12pm every day. so to suggest that i spent 8 hours creating this guide without taking their concerns and requests seriously is just plain wrong. if i could have provided a roundup of beautiful large rugs under $100 i would have done it, but the market rate for large rugs is well over $100, so i provided the best solutions i could for my readers.

grace

4. eeloh says:

I too live outside the US. Anyone know of cool suppliers in Australia – what the hell, Melbourne! – for rugs like this?
    And when the hell is Anthropologie setting up shop here? Honestly, we get everything so much later than the rest of the world. We’re still grappling with this electricity thing.
    Oh for a return ticket to New York.

5. Wow–what a great post! I’m always on the lookout for style on a budget! Thanks! Kathy Peterson Inspired

6. Kate S. says:

Thanks for the round-up! As a grad student on a minimal budget I can say that I feel well represented as a reader and agree that an interesting/ good looking rug (whatever the size) for under $100 is 1) a hard find and 2) qualifies as “affordable”. Some items out there might be aspirational… but isn’t that part of the point – to identify items to add to our wishlist and save $2/day for a year so we can afford. Point being: thanks Grace!

7. Jan says:

Thanks ever so much! I’ve been rug shopping online (and in store) for two years and still have spots to fill. After today, though, I’ll have one or two less. My feet thank you, too!

8. Zach says:

Thanks for the mention Jennifer. A couple people who have read your comment have actually visited me at the flea! All wonderful people.

Grace, I do offer a few rugs under $100 @bkflea but if you and your readers would be interested in doing a post on handwoven vintage and antique rugs under something like $300 (greater variety) I would love to be involved.

Thanks for running this amazing blog!

9. Abbey says:

This is a great resource!

10. Chela says:

The round rug which has the bird and flowers and is the main image for this post – I cant see it in the round up. maybe im blind but does anyone know details for this one? I love it!

11. Tracie says:

I came across your blog and couldn’t help but add the rug that I purchased from Overstock.com. I has a gold tone accent and it is beautiful. I was looking for a smaller, round affordable rug and it shipped to me in 5 days. Here is the link:

12. Ingeborg says:

@Chela, it’s from Anthropologie too:

@Grace, thanks so much for your hard work.

13. Mica Anna says:

Thank you, Stella, for mentioning Pakobel Rugs – so awesome!

14. I have purchased many of these for my clients and I have to say that 99% of the time they are totally perfect! Also it’s hard to justify spending thousands on a rug to a client who has never purchased one before. Let’s also remember that the rugs are usueally covered by lots of furniture ;)

15. Maggie Rotunda says:

Please…tv…find this amazing magical lady her own show…she is amazing…and make it an hour long and every day….!!!!

16. Ant Matsi says:

Hi there Grace – brilliant post!
    Do you know if it’s possible to source the Conure Rug, Round (2.5) from somewhere/someone that can ship to Australia? I love it dearly but unfortunately Anthro will not ship large items outside of the US..
    Thanks very much!!

1. Grace Bonney says:

ant matsi

i’m so sorry, i don’t. this is a fairly old post so it may not be in production anymore, i’m sorry :(

grace

17. Nicole says:

Such colorful rugs. I love them. I like to color my house with the help of the rugs and curtains.

18. antique rugs says:

The carpet in your own drawing room is gorgeous!