sneak peek: heather paul of spool no. 72

heather paul, her husband travis and the couple’s chocolate lab kota live in this home in the rural farmlands of eastern washington. heather, along with tara ehlis and gloria abhold,  runs spool no. 72, a clothing company, which pairs salvaged textiles (their bags made out of  native american rugs sold in a flash!) with casual, easy going clothing. both grace and i have a few of their super cute and affordable blouses – the company strives for a blend of new and old to create a modern take on classic american style – and heather has done the same thing in her home. {thanks heather, travis & kota!} {and many thanks to tara ehlis for the lovely photographs!}amy

[Our decorating style is truly a blend of styles focusing on casual living.  The blend of rustic and modern can be seen throughout the house.  When building we really wanted the house to have the character of an older home and to look as it had been there for years.  Incorporating hand scraped hardwood floors, interior transoms and vintage inspired glass tiles helped give the house character and that cozy inviting feel.]

[photo above: The goal when building our home was to make it look as if it had been there for many years. We love the character of older homes and tried to incorporate as many elements as we could into our new construction project including interior glass transoms, hand scraped hardwood floors, vintage inspired tile, and painted cabinetry. As shown in our clothing company Spool No.72, we are inspired by salvaged textiles. This vintage Navajo rug was a great find at a local barn sale and we constructed the sliding barn doors out of re-purposed pine boards finished with a light grey stain. The barn doors make a great transition into the home office. ]

[Photo above: Our home office is one of the most used rooms in the house.  The room is filled with salvaged finds.  An old trunk made the perfect coffee table when given a boost by some old fruit crates.  The blend of new and old is a common pallet in both our homes and clothing line and creates a distinct and unique style.]

CLICK HERE for the rest of the Spool peek!

[Photo above: Most of the artwork in our home was painted by one of the Spool No.72 co-owner Tara Ehlis.  The No.36 painting was constructed from layers of paint and newsprint, and then sanded down to give the look of a 100 year old panting.]

[Photo above: In living room we used a large salvage fruit bin for our coffee table.   We have used many salvaged furniture items in our home as we have found that their character can not be found in new furniture items.  Plus it gives us an extra excuse to go treasure hunting each weekend!]

[Photo above: The kitchen is our favorite room in the house and a gathering place for friends and family.  We added character to the kitchen with hand poured concrete counter tops and a home-made butcher block island that we constructed out of strips of maple wood.]

[Photo above: Our master bath features salvaged wood mirrors mixed with more modern elements including square vessel sinks and vintage pendant light fixtures.   A vintage tool box made the perfect cubby for our bath towels.]

1. audrey c. says:

i would also like to know where the fabric on the stools in the kitchen is from – it’s gorgeous, as its the rest of the home.

2. Kate says:

The last photo looks like the Palouse with Idaho mountains in the background… beautiful!

3. Tracy Elaine says:

The bench may have been from Pottery Barn, but is no longer available. However the fabric on it is definitely from Pottery Barn. It’s called the Gabrielle Jacquard, and is for sale by the yard or on some of their furniture.

The fabric on the bar stools was also Pottery Barn, but is no longer available.

4. Kelly says:

LOVE the kitchen! I want to copy it exactly when I win the lottery and can remodel ours. Would love to know if the kitchen stools had slipcovers? And if so… where they came from.

5. saer says:

Hey..I love spool! how cool is this house? I love that huge ceramic container in the hallway with the no. 12 and leaf on it…does anyone know where it’s from??

6. Joanna says:

That zig zag rug is gorgeous! I am drooling over the lighting and use of color in this beautiful home. It’s a wonderful combination of earthy and modern, with a little country thrown in. It all works beautifully. This is one of my all-time favorite sneak peaks.

7. Leigha Oaks says:

I dream of barn doors in my sleep! Lovely…

8. Amanda Banker says:

verey nice

9. meghan says:

any news yet about the NYC print? I’ve seen a lot that seem almost alike, but I’d love this one in particular.

10. Jennifer says:

love the sliding barn doors INSIDE…..fabulosity!!

11. Analog Bass says:

Hi, lovely home! I’m curious about the large bain marie in the third photo, with the leaf on it – where’s it from?

12. Heather Paul says:

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. I have included a list source list below of many of my household items.

Paint Color: Uniform throughout the house: Ralph Lauren, Hopsack. Kitchen cabinets are same color taken one shade darker.
    Barn Doors: Handmade, re-purposed pine. Hardware: barndoorhardware.com
    Entry Rug: Salvaged, barn sale
    Entry Crock: Salvaged, barn sale
    Leather Bag in Entry: Spool No.72 Salvaged Collection: http://www.spoolno72.com
    Entryway Bench: Custom, Pottery Barn
    Entryway Mirror: Pottery barn
    NY Sign in Office: eBay find
    Kitchen Stools: IKEA, reupholstered in fabric found on eBay
    Kitchen Tile: Cararra Hexagon Marble
    Laundry Cart: Restoration Hardware

Heather Paul
    Co-owner
    Spoolno72.com

13. kim says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this house! I’m wondering if you would know the manufacturer of the entry door. I’ve been looking for one like this.

Thanks!

14. Sue Whited says:

ref.heatherpaul of spool no. 72

This is wonderful. I have an old entry door like this and I wasn’t sure I wanted to us it but now I know I do. I have the country/cowboy theme. This gave me some great ideas Thanks

15. I, too, live in Eastern Wa as of one year ago. Every morning my husband and I marvel that we get to live it such a GORGEOUS place. We are surrounded by family for the first time in 26 years of marriage too – LOVE IT!!

16. OLIVETTE says:

where in the world did you find the antler lighting in the entry?
    thank
    you

17. That is an EXCEPTIONAL home office!

18. Sheena says:

Hi! I would really appreciate if you could tell me where you got your barn door hardware and the doors themselves.

Thanks!

19. Jacob says:

I love the yellow and orange pillow on your bed. Can you tell me a bit about it?

20. Heather Paul says:

Hello, thanks for the comments. The Pillow is vintage and can be found at: http://www.spool72.com

Thanks!

21. Susan says:

I love your front door. where did you find it?

22. Patty says:

I need to know the manufacturer of your front entry door, it lets more light in than normal craftsman doors…. please I am desperate I can’t find it anywhere !!!!!

23. Julie says:

I also love your front door and the hardware. Can you share details?

24. Erin says:

I’m really interested to know more about the front door…I love love everything about your home. The style is beautiful! I’ve been waiting to find the right door for my home and I would really like to get this one. Please share…I hope to one day have a stylish home like yours.

25. Steika says:

I was wondering where you got the Aztec chevron rug that is in the entry way next to the barn doors? I have looked and looked for a rug I like and haven’t found anything until I saw this one.