sneak peek: cheri of scout holiday

in august, cheri messerli and david rager tied the knot with a hand-made garden wedding. (for which they created one of the most fantastic registries, i’ve come across) it was more than just a wedding, it was also a send-off celebration for their september move to paris. cheri is a designer, stylist and consultant – her accessory line CM is sold at the ultra chic paris shop colette and the le bon marché. david is an art director and graphic designer. cheri created her wedding decorations with an eye toward reusing them in the decor of their paris home. this sure makes me long for springtime in paris!  {thanks cheri, david & scout!}  -amy a.

[David and I had been wanting to move to Paris for a while and when we finally packed up and did it, it was a lot more expensive to ship things than expected so we only brought over essentials we could carry on the plane. We searched for a furnished apartment that wasn’t too cluttered and had things we could work with and live with. We spent a month looking for a place to call home. When we saw this place we knew this was it. It was light, spacious and had a lot of unusual unique features which are rare to find in Paris apartments. The exposed old beamed ceilings, cement and wood floors , a partial old rock wall and the large kitchen space (uncommon in Paris). After a lot of rearranging, storing the furniture/stuff we didn’t like like, and putting up small decorations that had made the trip over with us, it finally began to feel like home.  We live with our 4 year old Vizsla (dog) Scout and have been living in Paris for 7 months now. Now that it’s starting to warm up we are loving it here.

photo above: This is actually the 2nd “couch” –  it was an ugly fold up bed/couch that was covered in black velvet when we arrived with lots of maroon velvet pillows, not really our style but it’s really useful to have since so many of our friends pass through Paris. I used one of the fabric pieces I painted for our wedding tablecloths to cover the couch and then dyed scrap pieces of fabric I had to create covers for the pillows. The paper cranes are something I made for our home in NY, and am now selling in my etsy shop. They make it feel more like home.]

[photo above: The beautiful wooden bench came with the apartment and often acts as our coat rack, while I’m still searching for the right one and there are no closets in this apartment and very little storage space so our bikes live near the front door since we use them so much here. Paris is great for biking so we brought our bikes over. There was no way I was leaving my lavender bike behind, after I finally rebuilt it and painted it my favorite color.]

[photo above: David and I love cooking. This kitchen is an amazing space to cook in, we’ve started a monthly Sunday roast with friends. It’s also is the warmest space in the apartment when the ovens going. It’s a bit of a country escape in the city.]

CLICK HERE for more of Cheri’s Peek!

[photo above: The green table and chairs came with the apartment and I put some of my favorite vintage fabric I found on etsy on it as a tablecloth. This space is one of my favorite in the apartment, the slanted wood beam ceiling has an old cabin feel, but the window in the cement wall gives it a really nice modern look as well. This table area is often converted to a workspace when I’m working on messier projects.]

[photo above: Since we spent the last year in California working on art directing The Ecology Center, we have been wanting to start our own vegetable garden but have been waiting till we had put some roots down somewhere ourselves. We found this simple clear tray at Ikea, hung it in skylight, and started our own organic vegetable garden this winter. It was the only place where the plants were guaranteed some light all day. Now they are thriving, so I’m going to have to find them a bigger planter but will continue to keep starting new seedlings in this space.]

[photo above: A lack of storage forces you to get creative with a new space, so we put hooks up in the old beams, with the pots hanging there it feels even more like a country style kitchen. We treated ourselves to some new pots and pans from Labour and Wait on a recent trip to London and they help make the kitchen space more colorful.]

[photo above: I love the kitchen, the walls are an interesting smooth concrete-like plaster and the owner of the apartment also really likes to cook so it was a perfect match for us to find this place.]

[photo above: It’s nice to be able to cook meals for friends and have a big enough table for everyone to sit at. We really enjoy cooking so we host a lot of dinners here with friends, sometimes we do movie screenings paired with a meal to match the theme. This long dining table serves a lot of purposes – it’s often a desk, flag making workspace or decorated for something like a special meal. Here it’s decorated for David’s birthday.  The striped napkins are from our wedding, we silkscreened them ourselves in different colors. The tree is something a friend found and left at our place, it’s now found a home in the kitchen.]

[photo: I went from hating the sofa and sofa bed to it being one of my favorite pieces in our apartment. Since it forced me to be extra creative in covering it up, I came up with some pillows and fabric prints that I really like and might work into my CM line.]

[photo above: My flag necklaces all started with some paper flags I made as a decoration for a dinner with friends. I made them out of different papers I had collected over the years ( I have an extensive collection of pretty and interesting papers I’ve hoarded over the years) and I liked them so much I was trying to come up with a way to make them wearable, from this the CM line was created! I was given some salvaged leather from a friends furniture company and went from there.]

[photo above: This is an antique bureau that came with the apartment and was pretty much the only shelving available to use in the apartment. We keep all our supplies and tools in it. The bust was something inherited from David’s grandparents and the small vintage glass bottles are from our wedding. I use them as vases in small clusters occasionally. I collected them from different flea markets in both Paris and California for our party, but was only able to bring a few of them to Paris. The map/poster was created by David and can be purchased at his online shop.]

[photo above: Since it’s such a small space I kept it simple and have put up a few images I love from some of my favorite blogs like Fine Little Day, and some beautiful Saipua soaps and small things to add a little color to this black and white tiled room. The shower curtain is from Anthropologie and helps give the very clean modern space a more feminine feel, which is a contrast I really like to play with.]

1. Tiffany says:

Cheri and David sure know how to make a pretty home.

2. Tanya says:

They make everything so artsy and lovely! From their registry to their desk! Ah love it.

3. MayDae says:

I am IN LOVE with that Anthro shower curtain!! I can’t afford it though, so I will have to sew my own version:) Gorgeous home! Loved every photo!

4. agnes szucs says:

Very nice! I’ve never been to the US, so I don’t really know, but this home seems to be typically European. The high ceiling, the rustic feel, etc.
    And I was surprised to read the Hungarian word Vizsla. :) Vizsla is a Hungarian breed of dogs. I tend to be proud whenever I read or see something Hungarian.
    best,
    agnes

5. Liz says:

their registry is AMAZING. HOW did they do that?

6. Ruby Rhino says:

Wow, what a beautiful apartment. I love everything about it, especially the kitchen – great space to cook and entertain, I’m very envious!

7. Hilary says:

I am dying over the garden wedding pics on your site!

8. such a comfy apartment! they have a great taste of beauty!

9. I think the “essentials” they decided to bring with them were great choices! So beautiful. I am off to check out the registry.

10. Kelly says:

Cheri, your home is amazing! May I ask where the “Be Calm” poster/print came from (in the 2nd picture). I love it so.

11. Kelley Moore says:

Tres magnifique! I love the blend of Paris, NY and cottage; with so much natural light and such talent, it’s hard to go wrong!

12. eileen says:

What? No photos of the vizsla? How did the dog adjust to life in Paris?

13. Renee says:

what a cool space!

14. Julianne says:

I love the paper cranes! So cool!

15. Savalou says:

Wow! I live in Paris too and I’ve never seen anything like this… you were lucky to find such an interesting home!

16. Just finished looking over the registry – what a cool and interesting way to put together a “visual” registry of the things a couple needs and wants. My favorite items on the list is the decorative tape and the rock vase. If you get a moment, take a quick peek at the registry – its really fun!

17. sarisa says:

Love this space! So much personality.
    I was wondering about the print also, and I found that it is by Louise Bourgeois & can be found here: http://www.mocastore.org/products/louise-bourgeois-poster-i-be-calm-i

18. very unique kitchen. simply beautiful!

19. Ian says:

Amazing kitchen!

20. corinne says:

super appartement ! you succeeded to make it very accueillant !
    Bonne journee !

21. tara says:

wow that door way is unreal, absolutely gorgeous…!

22. Daniel says:

what a cool space!

23. Helena says:

Looking only to the photos of this amazing kitchen, I would never say it´s in a Paris apartment! In the french countryside yes, but never in Paris!
    Really amazing!

24. Chelsey says:

Wow! one of my all time favorite sneak peeks! I’m obsessed with the concrete walls in the kitchen…. what a great apartment!

25. Joe says:

26. cate says:

My dream thermos appears to be sitting on the kitchen counter in the closeup of the kitchen — does anyone recognize that brand?

27. Sarah says:

Instant love!!!

28. Bookmark’d! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

29. Joanne says:

Exhilarating. Cheri is one of my favorite designers for sure.

30. Daniela says:

This home is my favourite so far. I just love it.

I saw someone asking about the “Be Calm” print. I’ve seen them in the Tate Modern web shop. I’ve seen the replicas from the Louise Bourgeouis original. They are great, aren’t they?

31. Cheri says:

Thanks so much! Yes, the Be Calm print is a tea towel from the Tate Modern. The thermos is made by Stanley, and Scout loves it in Paris and adjusted just fine. Here’s a pic of Scout here: http://bit.ly/9NBJ4j

32. David says:

Hi everyone,
    thanks so much for the really nice comments about our place. I’ve had a few inquiries about the wedding registry page I created and I am in the process of making this project a little more user friendly/customizable, if you’re interested in something similar for your wedding just get in touch via davidrager.org, or cherietdavid.com.
    -d

33. Francis Hyde says:

The Bourgeois poster is wonderful and I love this BE CALM idea also.

34. Love it! Thanks for the fun and inspiring tour!

35. ling says:

perfect balance of everything …

36. cate says:

Thanks for the thermos tip!

37. Stella says:

Gorgeous!
    So spacious and peaceful.
    Wonderful story :o)

38. Liv says:

Tres relax et francais…I love the idea of flag necklaces, how pretty.

39. david says:

we’ve finally gotten our registry site off the ground and online, if you’d like a registry like ours visit: merciregistry.com