sneak peek: cara of ore studios

just a year and a half ago, cara scarola, her husband ahlum and their son ryder moved into this home in santa fe, new mexico. then just last year, cara formed a partnership with andy beers, a former interior architecture classmates. as ore studios, the duo provide design services to clients all over the country – and with andy in providence, ri and cara in santa fe – they’ve just about got the country covered! each ore studios project works to convey the personal aethetic of the homeowners. i love how fun and bright this home is – perfect for a family!
{thanks cara, ahlum & ryder!} {special thanks to andy beers for the photographs} amy

[My husband, Ahlum, and I moved into this house about a year and a half ago with our son, Ryder.  Architecturally speaking, it is a relatively generic house that was built sometime during the 1950s.  The ultimate goal in remodeling the house was to create an inviting, family-friendly space with a sense of style and character.  I like both classic and modern furniture, and wanted to blend multiple styles seamlessly by using a tight palette of warm and cool colors.  The house as a whole makes sense without feeling too matched or decorated.]

[photo above: This vintage chair was recovered in a beautiful wool houndstooth from Place.  The yellow dresser was purchased secondhand – the finish was ruined so we painted it a beautiful shade of ochre to contrast with the walls and applied a glossy coat of red to the original hardware.  The black and white photo is one of mine – I had it printed on a piece of nylon fabric and then hung it on the wall using galvanized piping from the local hardware store.]

[photo above: Our family spends a lot of time in this room.  The finishes are natural and durable- the perfect combination to withstand a very active three-year-old. The sofa is covered in a charcoal flannel, and the ottoman and drapery fabric is from Romo, a line we really love.  The collection of artwork in this room includes a painting by Janet Lippincott, a drawing by Sue Coe, and a couple of my own pieces.]

[photo above: The bedside tables are local unfinished mesquite slabs with a live edge – scraps that we acquired from a colleague. We had them fabricated to fit the room.  The headboard is upholstered in Galbraith & Paul fabric.  The oak floors in the bedrooms were in bad shape when the house was purchased, so we decided to give them a couple of coats of white paint (we were able to refinish them to their natural state in the remainder of the house).]

CLICK HERE for the rest of the Ore Studios peek (and all the images on one page!)

[photo above: We completely gutted both bathrooms before moving into the house – they were full of pink – pink tile, pink sinks, pink toilets, and pink tubs!  The floor tile is by Ann Sacks from the Savoy Collection.]

[photo above: At Ore we love kid’s rooms that are fun but also have the potential to transition easily to the next stage. The furniture in my son’s room is a mixture of pieces that work right now (a bed from Oeuf that was once his crib and a little table from Room & Board), and things that will still work when he’s older (the orange hutch).  The carpet is from FLOR.]

[photo above: When outfitting our home office, I couldn’t decide on a desk to buy.  We ultimately decided to construct one out of galvanized piping and apple-ply, which allows us to maximize the usable space in the room.}

1. Anna says:

Where did you get the colorful bins that are in the kids room???

2. UNI says:

hi cara! i’m good friends with elise and sean in eugene. she gave me this link to see your stuff. coincidentally i already read this post!

rad work….hope to meet you someday.

3. Rafaelina says:

How did someone sneak into my head and grab images of what I wished my home looked like??? It’s perfect. I could walk in and live there easily. Love!

4. Mollie says:

*Sigh* If only my house looked like this. I feel like this embodies the hip but comfortable and usable space to which I aspire. Great work Cara!

5. chala says:

i also would like to know where the colorful bins can be purchased. love them.

6. Danielle says:

In the blue kids’ room, where did you get those bamboo/rattan blinds?

7. Katie says:

For the window blinds, is it this kind?

I’ve been looking like crazy for blinds like that. Let us know!

8. Dee says:

If you think of the name of the deeper charcoal color, can you post it please? Which color is behind the couch? Where can one buy Mythic paint? Just beautiful.

9. Danielle says:

Bless you, Katie! Who knew I’d find blinds I liked at HomeDepot!

10. Hipster Home says:

The sofa in charcoal is a Gus Modern Jane Sofa and we’ve been a retailer for over 3 years. The fabric is comfortable and ultra durable and perfect for any troubles that kids or pets can present. We love it.

11. Mia says:

Absolutely in love with the color palette in your son’s room. Which FLOR tiles did you use?

12. Zoe says:

I love this house and everything in it. Inspired me to redecorate my bedroom. LOVING the orange and grey.

13. Emily says:

Where are the orange sheets from? They are so pretty!

14. stickerzlab says:

I love all these bright colors ! Beautiful place to live in ;)

15. ALlera says:

BEAUTIFUL, peaceful and happy.
    May I ask where those orange/green colored woven baskets (or bins) are from?
    I am talking especifically the one shown by the “boom” on the kids room.
    Thank you.

16. Sarah Stern says:

The master bedroom is beautiful. where are the bedside lights from? thanks!