sewing 101: make a wine bottle cozy

Looking for a quick and easy hostess gift, or just want to add a bit of craftiness to your kitchen? This little bottle cozy is just the thing. It’s super simple to make, so even complete sewing newbies shouldn’t be afraid to give it a try. (And if you don’t have a sewing machine, this would be really easy to hand-sew, too.)

I love this project as an alternative to a gift bag when gifting a bottle a wine, and as an added bonus, the cozy will catch drips as you pour! I’m having fantasies of throwing a party where every bottle at the drink station is wearing one of these little wraps. How cute would that be? White cozies for white wine, red for red, and other shades for liquor. Let’s get started! –Brett Bara

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

What You’ll Need

5″ x 13″ piece of fabric for the outside of the cozy

7″ x 13″ piece of coordinating fabric for the inside

4.75″ x 11.75″ piece of cotton batting

2 buttons, about 1″ in diameter

24″ length of cord or twine

scissors

tape measure

straight pins

iron

sewing machine

1. Pin the front and back piece together along the 13″ sides, with the right sides of the fabric facing together.

2. Sew the two pieces together using a 1/2″ seam allowance.

3. Sew the other side in the same way, making a tube.

4. Iron the tube flat, centering the more narrow panel and pressing the seam allowance toward the center.

5. Sew one end of the tube closed, using a 1/2″ seam allowance.

6. Trim the seam allowance from the corners, being careful not to cut the stitches.

7. Turn the piece right-side out, using a pointy object to poke the corners out. Press the piece flat. Turn under the raw edges of the open end 1/2″ and press them to the inside.

8. Slide the piece of batting into the cozy, taking care to make sure it’s smoothed flat and fitted all the way into the corners.

9. Pin the cozy on both long sides, through all layers (to prevent shifting during the next step).

10. Top stitch around the entire piece, just inside the narrow panel.

11. Sew a button on the front side, about 1″ from the edge. Because you need a little space under the button to wrap the cord, place a wooden matchstick under the button as you sew it. After the button is sewed on, but before cutting the thread, remove the matchstick and wrap the thread around the button threads several times. Then insert the needle back to the wrong side of the piece, tie a knot, and cut the thread.

12. Sew the other button to the other end, about 3″ from the edge. Sew it the same way as the other one, using a matchstick. Tie the cord to the first button.

To put the cozy to work, wrap it around a bottle and secure it by looping the cord around both buttons.

Cheers!

1. Lisa says:

Cute idea! I love making all sorts of cozies (coffee, laptop, etc…). Everything is better with a cozy :)

2. Elle says:

Oh I love this, I could make a bunch and keep them around….what a perfect craft for my scrap pile!

3. Circa1972 says:

How cute! It’s a wine “obi”!

4. rita says:

this is so cute. i may try them using mostly wool felt. fun!

5. caroline says:

This is a perfect idea!!! Very clever and oh so cute. xo

6. Amy Cox says:

very very cute – makes me want to be organised enough to make hostess gifts!!

7. Issa says:

this is super adorable! I’m not much of a wine drinker but this cutie makes me want to host a wine and cheese party! :)

8. Sandy says:

thanks for the easy to follower tutorial! these do not look hard at all!! i will have to make this with my pounds of thread someday!! =)

9. sajjal says:

i think i can expand it for my accessories and can apply it on many of the other items. so adorable, love it

10. LizD says:

What is the floral fabric? I’ve got to get it!

11. jasmina says:

Inteligent. No more stains on my favourite cloth :-)

12. Kelly says:

Very cute. I wanted to request a sewing project. What about working with store bought curtains to modify them, e.g., band of fabric on the bottom and/or sides and also lining them with black out fabric. I’ve been wanting to do this for my daughters rooms and would love to see instructions here! Thanks for considering this :)

13. Shari says:

Similar to a tea cozy! I love this alternative. I’ll make a few to take to my next herb garden meeting. They will love them!!! Thanks.

14. Schtuffblog says:

Beautiful project and tutorial. I was thinking of something similar with paper collage, but this is a nicer gift!! Thank you. I can see going on a group to keep on hand for the holidays!

15. Rebecca says:

Thank you! I think I just found my Christmas gifts. I love something like this because they’re great for either gender and you can make a whole bunch but personalize each one.

16. Wine cosy — a wonderful idea, and perfect for hostess gift…

17. Insung says:

What a great idea. Think I am making this for my Thanksgiving table. Thank you for the lovely idea!

18. tapinkster says:

I am always looking for craft ideas and I love wine – what a perfect idea to dress up the bottle and give it away! Thanks for the super cute, simple sew!

19. Fran Carreras says:

Wow! Was I the “hit” of the party! The hostess could not stop raving about her new wine cozy! Thank you so much for this clever and very easy pattern. Your tutorial is awesome!