in the kitchen with: elodie rambaud’s zucchini tarte

I met the very talented French stylist Elodie Rambaud in January this year in Paris through mutual friends. We bonded over our common love for mud australia. She had just introduced herself as Elodie though, and I didn’t put two and two together until a few hours later when I saw Trish Deseine’s book Comme Au Resto which Elodie styled to perfection. During dinner at a tiny little restaurant in Elodie’s neighborhood the last night I was in Paris, I learned that Elodie comes from a French cheese-making family. It was therefore natural that I’d invite her to share a recipe using cheese with us here on the column. – Kristina

About Elodie: Elodie Rambaud is a stylist, born in France 30 years ago. She has lived in London and Sydney where she worked for magazines Donna Hay, Inside Out, and Australian Gourmet Traveller, among others. Now based in the 9th arrondissement of Paris, she mainly styles for advertising, French magazines like Elle à Table and French publisher, Marabout. She loves traveling for work and goes back to Australia once a year.

CLICK HERE for the full recipe after the jump!

Why Elodie chose this recipe: This recipe is a reminder of summer and good times with friends. I used to go once a year and spend summer in a friend’s house in a seaside town in west of France called Biscarosse. We were a bunch of friends enjoying time and this was one of the easy recipe we used to cook.

{Note: Elodie did not style these images, I did. She tried to art direct my work via Skype to no avail. When she makes these tartes, the crust at the edge does not get big and puffy, she prefers to keep it small. – Kristina}

Zucchini Tarte

150g of ricotta (I use brousse which is a fresh cheese from Provence)

2 tablespoons of cream

3 eggs

3 leaves of mint

4 leaves of basil

1 tablespoon of freshly grated parmesan

2 big zucchini

1 clove of garlic

1 tablespoon of olive oil

1 roll of puff pastry

Turn on your oven on 180 degrees celsius (350F)

Wash and finely slice the zucchini. Using a frying pan cook the zucchini and crushed garlic in olive oil for 8 minutes or until golden. In a mixing bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, cream, eggs, parmesan , and herbs finely sliced.  Add the zucchini to the mixture. Place the puff pastry in a round ceramic dish and fill it up with the ricotta and eggs mix.

Place it in the oven and let it cook for half an hour or until golden.

Serve with a salad and some fresh Rosé wine, perfect in summer.

{Photography by Kristina Gill; ricotta bowl by Le Petit Atelier de Paris; herb and parmesan dishes from C.U.C.I.N.A.; cream in a ‘white’ salt dish and other plates in ‘milk’ all by mud australia; frying pan All-Clad; utensils and towel all vintage.}

1. Amanda says:

mmmm…. I just printed this out and will be making it tomorrow afternoon! Thank you!!!

2. sunshine says:

at what point do you put in the zucchini?

3. Dani says:

Oh wow that looks delicious!!!

4. cary says:

looks like the tarte was baked in parchment – is that the method?

5. sara says:

looks so cozy delicious — yum!

6. Kristina says:

@sunshine – you should put the zucchine into the cheese+egg mix once they have been sauteed.

@cary – my puff pastry instructions said to bake it that way, but you don’t have to. in fact the second time i made these for us, i used a pastry ring and no parchment inside.

7. keiko says:

Elodie’s styling is amazing and she’s one of the sweetest people I’ve ever met. The tart looks lovely, can’t wait to try it soon!

8. Tod says:

yummy! i have a brunch coming up and i think this will be on the menu!!
    xoxo
    tod

9. Michelle says:

This looks crazy yummy and definitely next on my “to try” list!

10. Beautiful pics, can’t wait to try it. Thanks!

11. matt says:

What a beautiful photo, really. I’d like to eat about 12 of these right now.

12. Steph says:

So I saw this post this morning @ work and thought the tarte looked amazing… I got my shopping list ready & headed straight for the market after work. I just finished my slice with an nice micro-green salad on the side… So delicious! I will definately be making this again :)

13. Valeria Melo says:

By cream do you mean heavy cream? whip cream?–> (doubt it) :)

14. Amparo says:

Yum! This recipe sounds delicious. I love how the ridges on the fresh zucchini are so pronounced.

15. Crystal says:

Looks delicious *and* healthy! My kind of eating.

16. Kristina says:

@Valeria: any kind of cream. the difference is only in the fat content. if you want, try whipping it and folding it in and let us know how that works. you never know!

17. Lisa says:

This looks utterly yummy! My Husband adorea any food in a tarte :)
    I will have to try to make this! Thank you

18. Natasha says:

love to try it…it would be fun

19. sharon says:

looks so crunchy and delicious try my best to bake a same one

20. Mokzan says:

Looking sooo good, I will have to try =)

Greetings from Sweden!

21. I LOVE to eat and to cook and to read about cooking. This is wonderful. Yesterday I picked tiny little fiddlehead ferns in the garden. Do you think I could substitute the ferns for the zucchini?

1. grace says:

nancy

i’ll ask kristina about this, but personally i LOVE fiddlehead ferns. that said, sometimes they can be extremely bitter, so be sure to cook a little piece and taste-test first.

grace

22. ValerieRose says:

This looks like heaven on a dish. I can’t wait to make it all summer. Tonight, I will give it a test run.. Thank you!

23. Kristina says:

@Nancy – Alack and alas I do not know what fiddlehead ferns are! I think when you cook, you should use whatever pleases your palate. If you are careful to cook them a bit first just like the zucchini, so that you get rid of some of the excess water, they should be fine. Why not? Let us know how you go!

1. grace says:

hi guys- here’s some more info on fiddleheads. they’re delicious: http://www.chow.com/ingredients/72

24. Angela says:

I just made this last night and it was delicious. I rarely leave comments for things like this, but I felt like I had to – the dish was a hit! My fiance and I thought about adding mushrooms or even a little pancetta next time. Yum! :)

25. Lael Hazan says:

Both delicious and BEAUTIFUL! I was trying to figure out what to do with an abundance of zucchini. This is a perfect summer dish!

26. Siri says:

How beautiful the tarte looks :). a perfect summer dish!

Siri