design that protects: computer bags + bikes

i’ve admitted my love for “handsome travel bags” so the fact that i’m loving this natural felt and leather laptop bag may not be a surprise. when it comes to travel, i really love heavy duty detailing like thick leather straps, buckles, and brass snaps. i’m always on the lookout for good laptop bags (i like to have few options, so i can switch them out when i feel like a change) and this bag from portel is definitely at the top of my list. based in estonia, portel makes a beautiful series of felt and leather cases for macbooks and iphones/ipod, ranging from $21 for the phone to $54 for the laptop case. and, if you’re an early-adopter like my husband, you might like the felt ipad case portel is selling as well ($49). i really love the sturdy, army green straps that you can buy- i can definitely see myself toting one of these around next fall. they have that cozy but cool feeling i love in a travel bag. click here to check out (and shop) portels’ collection online.

speaking of protecting things you care about, i’m also LOVING these handcrafted wooden bike fenders from nick at red tail fenders in montreal. each fender is handcrafted from woods like poplar and oak, and is available right here on etsy for only $40. i’m already dreaming up ways to get my hands on one of these bikes- but i can only imagine how cool a vintage or thrift store bike would look gussied up with one of nick’s fenders. click here to check out nick’s collection and shop online. thanks, olivia for the tip!

1. Tricia Rose says:

Those wooden bike fenders are good gussy! (as opposed to bad, gussy gussy). cool…

2. Stefanie says:

I LOVE THESE!

3. alex says:

amazing! and really cool bike!

4. lisa says:

LOVE the bike. I bought my husband a vintage bike a few eyars ago with the same albeit more worn Brooks saddle.

5. liane says:

well, i bought a portel ipod case and i like it very much. i also just bought a vintage blue bike yesterday veeeery similar to the one above at a rummage sale. spoooooky.

6. I want that laptop cover!!! It’s fantastic!

7. Fiona K says:

A toque for your Macbook! Perfect in Canada-That is the coolest(!) laptop case I have seen in a while. Portel should talk directly to Apple to sell in Apple stores! (..or do they already?)

8. Tanya says:

I LOVE BOTH SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!

9. Freshie says:

Those bike fenders are rad. I just shared them with a friend of mine who owns a bike shop in Nashville – can’t wait to hear what he thinks!

10. Nicole says:

I contacted Portel about doing custom-sized cases for my non-Mac laptop, and they were only happy to help! $70 for a custom order, I can’t wait for it to arrive, I think it’ll be a delightful fit inside my Saddleback bag, the sleeve strap looks like it’ll match the chestnut leather perfectly. Thanks for introducing me to this case, I have such a love affair with grey felt!

11. jaime says:

love the macbook case. has anyone seen it in person and used it? it looks amazing, but i am a little worried that it’s very thin.

12. NatinNYC says:

I got this laptop sleeve from a fellow Etsian and simply love it! I even had a big “N” monogramed on the front.

13. StyleIcons says:

I liked the Portelbags very much. purchased my iPhone and iPad sleeves from their new website http://www.portelbags.com/ . these are handmade with amazing quality… love it.