decorator in a box

one of the things i get asked the most these days is, “can you recommend a good interior designer?”. it’s actually rare that i know a ton of interior designers because typically the price range for projects like that are way above my d*s budget. but these days i’m slowly starting to hear about designers and groups that are offering interior design services to those on a smaller budget. one of my favorites is a group called “decorator in a box” run by interior design annie pauza. annie and her team set out to create custom interiors online that would allow them to work with clients across the country on small budgets. decorator in a box offers prices on a per-room basis (ranging from $250-$500) that includes things like (sent 2 weeks after your consult):

• a note from the designer
  • instructions on how to begin
  • a color reference board
  • a design book with a hand-drawn space plan
  • a shopping list for your space plan

if you’re in the market for something simpler, you can also hire DIAB to pick paint colors, wallpaper, do space layouts, and design custom window treatments. i love the idea of making interior design more accessible and a la carte, so if you’re looking for some design help, click here to check out decorator in a box’s site.

1. Great idea! I posted this on my Facebook page (agirlcandoit) because I find that a lot of people are overwhelmed by “how to pick where to start” and I then help them with “how to do it”. This gets them going with little investment.

2. This sort of thing is definitely becoming more common – it’s great that in this technology age, design CAN be done remotely via photographs, email, and phone calls, making lower flat fees realistic!

3. This is a great idea! A few months ago I saw “designer in a bag” http://designinabag.com/ that’s a very similar concept. I wrote a blog post about it, and everyone liked the idea of not having to think about picking finishes! :o)

4. Erin says:

What a neat idea!

5. Lara says:

I love the Decorator in a Box idea! As a designer I am always helping out with friends furniture & color quandaries.

I came across Kelly & Olive’s site the other week. They also have a great style and offer similar services in the Chicago area:

6. Dianne says:

What a great idea!

7. Tanya says:

Great idea and thanks Ronique for the design in a bag concept too. Loving both!

8. What a great idea. Decorating can be so overwhelming. This really breaks it down. Thanks for sharing.

9. Jacquie says:

I have used services from this site and was very satisfied. http://instantdesignplan.com/

10. alisonfay says:

This is such a great idea! I went do design school myself, and upon graduation, was disgusted upon seeing how many designer’s fees were way out of a normal person’s price range. Everyone deserves great design, not just those who have a big budget! Props to Design in A Box for thinking OUT of the box:)

11. Amy says:

Great idea! I may have to do this sometime for my living room. I have a mental block when trying to decorate there!

12. christina says:

really nice idea! most people think they can really pull of their home by themselves. but I’m sure you’ll see the difference

13. Jana says:

I used this great designer for my house, check out http://www.futurespaceinteriors.com. I had such an amazing experience.

14. Jayia says:

Such an afforable way to get top to bottom impecible interior design service!

15. Rich says:

seems like there is a design service like this for different styles! i just read about http://www.designsinabox.com from Nicole Sassaman on Apt Therapy!

16. Cristi says:

This is such a great concept! There is room out there for everyone. I business partner and I are NCIDQ certified Interior Designers and our website is in the works for this type of service. It is such a fun way to design and our clients have an active role in the process the whole way through!

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

17. Sonny says:

It’s like a “game plan” for someone like me — who lives in rural U.S. & there’s no local design talent I like! Cool, too, cuz now (((I))) can do the shopping…when I want…where I want…and at the prices I want. It’s like I get “ownership” in my design now! Yay!

18. Grace says:

This is popping up everywhere! I came across this designer in my area (Charlotte, NC)….
    catherineboardman.com

19. Rick says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

20. Hi all! I recently launched a similar business – seems to be the way design is going these days! It’s a great way to be able to feel fabulous about your space without spending a fortune! Good design shouldn’t only be for the wealthy, right?! Check out my site – http://www.homeandhavendesigns.com.

21. Linda Solomon says:

Sounds like a neat idea. I also came across another fabulous decorating website that also offers 3D renderings so people can tour their “new” rooms before they commit.

22. Lindy says:

I’m getting caught up on my DS reading and just came across this. The decorator in a box concept is such an awesome one! I used a similar design service on a personal reference from a friend and I was SO pleased with the outcome. It was such a simple and affordable way to makeover my home (and I can’t rave enough about her–plus, from what I’ve seen, the price is a smidge lower than some others): http://allisonlind.com/Allison_Robins_Lind_LLC/Virtual_Customization.html

23. Angela says:

I’ve been considering doing this for a while now. Can’t afford a regular designer, but don’t have the vision on my own! I was looking at these options. Kelly + Olive is cheaper, but Dwelement has much more detailed plans.

Thoughts? And thanks for all the other links!