beyond the big day: a pancake breakfast

[image credits: Bridesmaid, couple, and napkin/plate images by Max Wanger, Couch image by Ye Rin Mok, Pancake image unkown, Calligraphy by Rifle Design, Ranunculus image]

When researching inspiration for this shoot, we kept coming back to the beautiful wedding of Holly and Billy which was originally featured on the lovely blog, 100 Layer Cake, and shot by the incredible Max Wanger. Holly and Billy’s wedding was colorful, fun, and a little bit retro which was the exact feel we we’re hoping to attain with our pancake breakfast.

I love the idea of being able to set up a table anywhere and then getting to spend precious time with friends. The park is the perfect place for a little get together. Throw in some delicious mini pancakes, easy DIY projects, and you’ve got one adorable breakfast! Two of my favorite ladies, Ashley Meaders of The Flashdance and Jesse Chamberlin from Our Labor of Love, teamed up with Once Wed to show just how easy it is to create a sweet DIY pancake breakfast. Here’s more about the shoot from Ashley…

CLICK HERE for all 20 beautiful images and Ashley’s pancake breakfast decor how-tos after the jump!

Starting your day off with good friends and a delicious breakfast sounds like the perfect morning to me.

The paper mobiles are super easy to make. For the base, just take the inside of an embroidery hoop and cover it tightly with a strip of fabric. The rest of the mobile is made out of paper. Just cut strips of paper, fold them in half and then glue the ends together (it helps if you make a flap at one end). Combine smaller pieces into bigger pieces for different designs. Once you get all the paper shapes constructed, punch a hole in the top of each one and then hang with twine. You can customize the mobiles by using differently shaped embroidery hoops or by switching up the paper color and twine.

When it comes to setting a table, sweet and simple always works great. We used vintage hankies as napkins and a soft white cotton for the cover. It’s easy to dress up something simple by sewing on a lace pattern to the bottom of the tablecloth or sourcing a vintage one like we did. The Goodwill stores in Atlanta are always our go to place for cheap linens(this one was only $3).

To top off the mini pancakes, hand draw your guests’ names on colorful stripes of paper, fold in half, glue the ends together, and then poke a sewer through the middle back. It’s a great way to bring the paper element onto the table while creating a personalized touch all at the same time. We also continued the idea by making tags for the vintage syrup containers we found at our local antique market, Kudzu.

Flowers can be daunting for someone who doesn’t deal with them on a regular bases. I take the easy way out and always go to Trader Joe’s. They have beautiful filler flowers and ranunculus always seem to be in season there. We found old tins and used them as the flower containers, along with some charming blue mason jars and vintage coffee and tea canisters.

For all you Once Wed readers, this idea is perfect for a bridal shower!

Event Design: Ashley Meaders of The Flashdance

Amazing Photography: Jesse Chamberlin from Our Labor of Love

1. Found your blog via a blog from a girl i believe called lena on Live Journal featured some of your pix …love your blog…keep on creating..suzanne pignato

2. Kimber Hagans says:

The is sooooooo beautiful, and YES just LOVELY!!! I love all the unique touches, and MY friends would soooo swoon over this delightful table setting! Ya know~~it’s all about the details! And girl you did a FAB job! Ignore that Stacy chick, she is one miserable KILLJOY with all her taste in her mouth!!! Shame on her!

3. Kimber Hagans says:

This is sooooooo beautiful, and YES just LOVELY!!! I love all the unique touches, and MY friends would soooo swoon over this delightful table setting! Ya know~~it’s all about the details! And girl you did a FAB job! Ignore that Stacy chick, she is one miserable KILLJOY with all her taste in her mouth!!! Shame on her!

4. Terrah says:

I’m truly inspired on how much they did with string and paper. :)

5. Lucy says:

I am in love with this adorable table setting! One thing is cuter than the next, but I must say the mini pancakes take the icing on the cake!

6. johanna says:

I love everything about this! The colors, the picnic tables, flag and mobile! It is perfect. I wish I were there.

7. Nicole says:

Love this! I’m throwing a bridal shower at a winery and want to incorporate all these ideas. What are the larger jars that you have the juice in? Any ideas on where to get them?

8. Lisa says:

I came back to look at this and was thinking oooh I could host a pancake breakfast – which I would make before then serve so I could sit and enjoy myself! Grace is right – the pancakes would stay hot(or french toast, croque monsieur, crepes), even in a cooler pre filled with hot water, dump out and dry. Wrap pancakes in parchment and tinfoil keeps things hot to transport. Even more fun would be of course to cook them on a BBQ grill! Maple syrup could also be brought hot in a thermos to keep food even warmer. Skewering stacks of pancakes actually makes it easier to serve! I have cooked in the middle of a field for 150 people and this actually looks like a piece of cake! I will however do this in my yard!

9. Lisa says:

Wow!! this is incredible. Such a beautiful event!! All the details are so lovely.

10. Shereen says:

Grace,

I stumbled upon this beautiful pancake breakfast and hosting one for my sister in law to be this September! Thanks for sharing and for putting up with all those negative nelly comments. Sheesh. Get a life people!

11. sara says:

i’m so in love with this! i adore ashley’s work, so of course i am smitten with the decorations! they are adorable and DOABLE – i think there are far too many elaborate things that a lot of people aren’t comfortable tackling, so it’s nice to see something like this! i’m pretty sure that the best kinds of friends in this world are the kinds of friends that would ADORE something like this, no matter their age. love love!

12. Natasha says:

Absolutely gorgeous! Love love love. I posted this on my blog, a fabulous inspiring way to kick off the weekend.

13. Niamhy says:

Love this, thanks for posting. I’m a designer and I’m loving all the deatils her, so much to be inspired by. Can you tell me who did the ‘Meg Stephens’ calligraphy at the top of the post? It looks prefect for a project I’m working on at the moment. Would be graetful if you could point me in the right direction. Many Thanks : )

14. Samuel Burns says:

Cute! great colours, it’s all so soft and inviting

15. Heather Sioux says:

I love this idea & think I can incorporate several elements into my daughter Olive’s 3rd birthday party {sunshine & lemonade theme}. i heartcore love the paper mobiles, & they are even the perfect color palette for Olive’s party. thanks for ALL you do & all of the amazing *inspiration* on your lovely site!!!!!!

16. XIronman says:

the lovely pictures light up my heart. I was upset today, but not any more from now on.

17. L.Duncan says:

I’, going to do an inspiration shoot myself and I am sooooo inspired by this one! Thanks, ladies!

18. Yande says:

Amaxing photograph that you have, i love the tone color.

19. Hilary Cam says:

This shoot is so inspiring, well done to everyone who took part in this, I think you did a wonderful job. Its sad to see negative comments. :(

20. Michelle says:

I host an Easter celebration at my home, annually, and I’m excited to use ideas from this post. LOVE the colors, flowers, and mobiles! Thanks for the inspiration!

21. Kate Robinson says:

Well, despite the weird comments, I find this idea absolutely refreshing! In fact, my son, who takes after my husband and I as far as life philosophy goes, and who would otherwise have eloped, thinks this is the kind of wedding he could have: few people, and something simple like pancakes (his favorite breakfast food) for a low-key morning meal. Beautiful idea, simple, elegant!

22. grace says:

st@cy

thanks for the heaping dose of morning sarcasm. i’m going to address your issues one by one:

1. here’s how you deal with an outdoor breakfast:

a. cook in your backyard. carry the pancakes out when they’re ready and voila, they’re warm. no one said this HAD to be in a park.

b. if you’re using a park, you can use the grills provided in the park (there were always grills in the public parks i’ve lived around) and bring a simple pan or griddle (you can find them at target for like $25 and re-use them over and over or take them camping) to cook on top of. i’ve done it before while camping and it makes perfectly delicious pancakes. then repeat the second part of step a. above.

c. if you want to cook at home and bring them prepared, you’ll need to keep the numbers of pancakes small, and then toss them into a heated crock pot and put them in the car. the heat from the crock pot will last about an hour so that should by you a decent amount of time to transport them.

2. name card sticks: dude, if you don’t like them, don’t use them. this whole post is a list of ideas, no one’s tying your arms and forcing you to use them if you have friends that you think will laugh at them. if your friends are the type of people who might appreciate the extra effort, you can jab them in before serving, let people enjoy them, and then move on to eating.

3. “this wasn’t a party, it’s a shoot”. yep, you’re right. that’s why emily used the word SHOOT in the post. last time i checked no one was listing off fake names and telling stories about a party that didn’t happen. it was a shoot put together specifically for this post- which is the purpose and mission of the column- to inspire people to entertain. if shoots bother you you might not want to read magazines or watch tv- most entertaining segments are planned shoots, not spontaneously photographed events that someone happened to stumble upon.

4. “where are the boxes?” seriously? do you really expect or want someone to show all the boxes used to carry things to a photoshoot? i’m assuming that question and the homeless comment were just lame jabs, so i’ll leave that there. if you want to know where to put your boxes, i’d suggest the inside of your house if you’re having this in the backyard, or the back of your car if you’re driving to a park.

5. if your friends are going to spill “entire jars of grapefruit juice” all over the table i’d suggest a few things:

a. bibs
    b. scotchguard. spray down any tablecloth with scotchguard and the majority of the juice will roll off and you can wash it. most vintage tablecloths can be washed by hand, so if spills happen, it’s not the end of the world.

grace