before & after: drawers + coffee table + bike makeovers

i love when people see sidewalk cast-offs and think outside of the box with them. this first before & after comes from eva at mademoiselle chaos, who found a set of drawers sitting on one of her neighborhood streets. eva lugged them home and decided to not only use them at home, but weld an “exoskeleton” made from scrap metal to turn them into a table and drawer unit. i’m officially impressed and blown away (i wish i could just weld a little table together in my spare time) and loving the final look. now this beautiful industrial-looking unit is home to eva’s 55 pound (wow!) collection of vintage buttons. great work, eva!

[have a before & after you’d like to share? just shoot me an email with your images right here! (low res, under 500k per image, please)]

when the amy’s and i went to brimfield last year we spent a decent amount of time chatting about whether amy a. would bring a vintage wooden cart home with her to use as a coffee table. she decided on a gorgeous blue machinist’s cart instead (you’ll see it in her home tour in the d*s book!) but my eye always tends to be drawn to those vintage wooden carts. d*s reader jody and her husband found the same old factory cart at a junk yard for only $25, and even though it was in really rough shape, that price is a steal compared to what i’ve seen them selling for in flea markets and online vintage shops. jody was convinced it could become a cute coffee table so she worked with her husband to transform their find into a beautiful new coffee table by replacing the rotted wood with reclaimed and stained 2x4s. those wooden wheels are so dreamy, and i’m so impressed with the new look. great work, you two!

CLICK HERE for alicia’s bike makeover after the jump!

[image above: a detail of the beautiful wooden wheels on jodi’s re-vamped coffee table]

after last week’s bike post i got all sorts of great bike-related emails. one of my favorites was from alicia ford of fresh coffee at etsy. alicia’s husband bought them matching his and hers bicycles from their local goodwill and while alicia loved the frame, she wasn’t loving the worn red finish. after seeing a bright blue bike in country living magazine, alicia decided to paint her bike to recreate the look. after taking apart the bike, alicia found a sticker that said “sears 1985″ and was happy to see her bike was only 4 years younger than her! it’s always great to see people embracing bikes as transportation and i love that alicia was able to make this older model feel like her own. thanks, alicia!

1. rebecca says:

I’m sure you’ll catch this, but the after on the cart has the “before” label not the “after” label. :)

Beautiful cart.

2. Shannon says:

wow…that table is an amazing revamp. I can’t imagine how much work was put into that, but it certainly paid off!

3. wow – love the drawer table and the little seating area it’s part of. great work!

4. Love the chest of drawers!

5. Karrie says:

I love the painted bike! I’d really like to have a bicycle but don’t want to spend too much and that’s a perfect solution!

Also love the drawer table–so creative and unique!

6. charissa says:

say, I have that same red bicycle :)

7. liane says:

sweet redos! am i going to have to take up welding now??? :)

8. Heather says:

I love the fact you featured a bike makeover! I’m starting one myself on a 60’s Schwinn I bought off Craigslist and it’s nice to see how others personalize their bikes.

9. alissa says:

LOVE! These things would all cost a fortune in a shop! Great job.

10. Elissa says:

That cart/coffee table is fantastic! Love the wheels. I laughed a little when I saw the bike because I just got my old 1980’s bike out of my parents basement last week. It’s bright blue, but I was thinking of painting it red! We could have traded!

11. that coffee table is incredible! what an amazing makeover. what a unique piece to have in your house. very cool!

–hailey

12. PJLime says:

Very cool.

13. Keebo says:

OMS!!! I LOVE those wooden wheels!!

14. vicki says:

The drawers are so beautiful.
    I covet!
    The drawers AND the welding skills. Lovely!

15. Green Key says:

I love the industrial chic look of that coffee table! I’ve definitely got a thing for furniture with wheels.

16. Novi says:

Great transformation, the rolling coffee table has awesome wheels!!!

17. Jackie says:

Just curious…what type of paint was used to paint the bicycle? I also have an old bike that I would love to restore but I’m not sure as to what type of paint will work. would love to know! Thanks!

18. apayne says:

pretty sure that is an old cotton bale cart! $25 is a steal even in that condition! what a great find!

19. Holy talent! That drawer trash score/welding extravaganza is one of the most impressive things I’ve seen in a good while. WOW.

20. jody says:

i’m so excited to see our cart posted! thanks to everone who posted nice comments :)
    i’m really loving the makeover of those old drawers.. such a cool idea!

21. Renee says:

i absolutely love the drawer unit!!

22. Rachel says:

wow, love the table!!
    kind of like the bike in red more tho >.<

23. Shirin says:

The drawers totally blew my mind! Very impressive, and stunning results.

24. Madeline says:

Gorgeous table…
    But I have to air my beef DS, I really hate it when there’s only one other thing on the post, but I have to click over to see it, since my computer isn’t the fastest in the world. I can understand why when there’s a ton of extra images, but for one or two, couldn’t you just include them all on the main page?

25. Rosemary says:

Wow, the cart is just brilliant!!

26. Lauren says:

Gorgeous! I love how each of these made something elegant out of something so ordinary and industrial! I always look forward to the before and afters- such great inspiration. Thank you for your blog- its my first stop every morning with my latte.
    -Lauren

27. St. Cristopher says:

Man, that cart / table must have taken a lot of work. It sure is pretty. I sure would have had a hard time seeing the beautiful light at the end of that grimey, broken down tunnel.

28. George says:

Wow, the cart is just brilliant!!

29. Patrick says:

-Lauren

30. shelly Moore says:

always love these before and after posts – just one note… the after on the table says “before” on the tag.

31. stephanie says:

Why don’t people put cool trash on the curbs where I live? Love the drawer makeover. The reclaimed cart table (amazing wheels) looks way better than the one in the NapaStyle catalog. Sweet job on the bike. I have an old red bike that needs some tlc too. Great inspiration all around!

32. Jeff says:

In the “after” cart photo can you tell me where the 3 images on the wall above the sofa came from? Thanks.

33. I love it!!Please send news!! Lílian