before & after: school street renovation

projects and homes like this are the reason i’ve always wanted to move to chicago. the cold weather ultimately keeps me away, but i feel like every month or so i see an amazing project like this from a young couple that found an affordable fixer-upper with lots of character and turned it into a beautiful first home. this before & after comes from angela tullier and her husband adam. this past august, angela and adam bought a three flat in chicago that had been vacant for four years. prior to the vacancy, the building had been owned by the same family since 1958- and they had not changed a single thing during that time. angela and adam were determined to tackle this gut rehab and are proud to finally be finished with their new home. i love the way they kept the vintage feel of things and went that extra mile to work with vintage appliances that really enhance the feel of the space. i am completely blown away by their handiwork and decided to give this incredible project it’s own full post. i’ve included 25 of my favorite images here, but angela has over 60 to check out in her flickr set right here. so please join me in sending a big “congrats!” to angela and adam- well done, you two! (be sure to check out the amazing wooden entertainment center they built!)

[images above: bathroom before & after]

[images above: living room before & after]

CLICK HERE for 20 more images of angela and adam’s makeover after the jump!

[images above: the living room, after. looking from the new living room into the renovated dining room]

[images above: dining room before & after]

[images above: a small bedroom is turned into an amazing wood-paneled entertainment room, with a hidden compartment for the television!]

[image above: the kitchen before, and with the cabinets pulled down]

[images above: the kitchen “after”]

[images above: kitchen eating nook, before & after- with a table adam made from salvaged wood]

[images above: entryway, before & after]

1. Toni says:

Oh, what a dreamy home! I love everything!

2. angela says:

Rachel from Schoolhouse Electric- absolutely! Your website was my favorite find of the entire project, and you guys were great to work with when I changed my mind on the color of a shade I had ordered.

as for colors- I don’t remember the living room color, but the dining room is BM azores, the movie room and entry are BM iron mountain, and the porch is also the Valspar sage bud I used in the pantry and bathroom.

Liz- If you live in the area, my grey couch is a beautifully reupholstered 1950’s sofa by Post 27. http://www.post27store.com/ I love their furniture, and also found the chrome tube chair there.

3. Wow! Love it guys!

Did you get the sofa at Post 27? I almost bought that one there!

Also, I totally support your archway update — just sayin’

Lastly, to everyone, what paint colors do you think work best with wood trim? I’m designing a space right now that has this same trim everywhere (it’s in Chicago!), and frankly I’m dying to paint it all white. Any thoughts?

Cheers!

4. Renee says:

i am in complete awe!! the transformation is incredible! great work guys!

5. Holly says:

Yay! I love my city. Chicago is great for big kitchens and pantries. They did a great job. I LOVE the kitchen.

6. Hrhkat says:

that bathroom is almost identicle to mine, the same placement of everything, the same wall color, the same tub and shower….
    the only thing thats different is that my floor is white marble, and my window is a bit smaller, and i have a white cabinet sink instead of a pedistal (i took out that exact kohler pedistal because there was no storage).

7. Jana says:

Some things I would’ve done differently, but all in all – WOW! They really did a great job, though I probably wouldn’t leave THAT much of the original vinage. I really like the built-in lights in the entertainment room, in combination with the wood panels they give a warm, evening-at-the-fireplace feel. And I’m in complete awe of the vintage’y kitchen appliances!

8. zoya says:

wow perfect fixtures and the look is so improved from the previous photos

9. Bernie says:

ditto to everything Shana said.

10. Betsy says:

Wow! Awesome job! What a beautiful, comfortable space you created. You hard work definitely paid off!

11. Melinda says:

what a nice job! My favorite part is that breakfast nook…nice light and the mod yellow chairs look so good with the salvaged wood table. I love Chicago dwellings.

12. Adele says:

My actual dream house. Love your style.

13. Adam Tullier says:

Kate, the kitchen floors are not tile, they are actually hand painted wood. I sanded the floors down and painted them white. Angela taped off the squares(it took 10 hours) and painted in the black boxes. It was a lot of work but way cheaper then tile.

14. Cricket says:

You did this all in 7 months – how? Did either of you have previous remodeling experience? Did you get any help from others?

15. Lori says:

Fabulous! I LOVE the red dining chairs! Where are they from?

16. Andrew says:

The mix of furnishings is fantastic. What I appreciate about this renovation is the respect for vintage in everything they attached to the structure– the light fixtures, bath fixtures, faucets, etc.

After you do this part right, you can decorate however you want. MCM is a nice juxtaposition to the vintage proportions of the rooms. The best spaces, in my opinion, don’t look like they belong in one specific era.

I think they did a fantastic job. The one tiny criticism I have is not that they reshaped the arches, but that the craftsmanship in the plaster work leaves something to be desired. This is a tough job and its best handled by a seasoned professional.

17. Ana Ribeiro says:

Love ya!!! Great job!

18. angela says:

Cricket- we worked day and night, but happen to have some pretty amazing friends and family who were willing to help us every step of the way!

We did call in the professionals for our electrical work- when we started cutting the walls out, it was a cloth wire nightmare.

19. bargain bex says:

oh how i wish this was my humble abode …

20. Lauryn Effie says:

Hello :)

I’m wondering where you found that throw pillow, the one with the pistol and keys? I love love love it and I want nothing more than to run out and buy it.

The apartment looks amazing, you all do such an amazing job with all your before and afters!

I look forward to the next ones all the time!

Thanks :) -L

21. Jovee says:

Yes!!! Thanks for the Chicago post. I knew it was one as soon as I saw the house. Congratulations to you both on your new home, and on all your hard work! I am utterly in love with your awesome kitchen and pantry! I’m a north west side bungalow owner and my pantry was removed from our home by the previous owners :( It probably looked just like yours. What a lovely place thank you for sharing.
    Oh, and your front stairs are the best.
    Also, well done on your bathroom makeover!

22. melina bee says:

ooooohhhh mmmmyyyyy goooossh! I wish I could come visit you! What a beautiful beautiful place! All your sweat shows, it is stunning. Wonderful job

23. Alli says:

OMG! Beautiful. Nice job, but are you still together.?:)

24. Kate says:

Amazing – clean yet cozy, retro and modern, great use of color but never looks cluttered or overwhelming. Such an inspiration!

25. Michel says:

The whole place looks great! I envy the robin’s egg blue refrigerator.

26. Molly says:

““Blech, the fifties and sixties!!!” “Oooh, the fifties and sixties!!!””

It’s okay to like and dislike things from a decade. Do you like every single thing new out right now?Or do you pick and choose for your own tastes?

27. darby says:

THAT’S MY DREAM KITCHEN!!! I scared my dog because I yelped when I saw it lol…AMAZING!!

28. Stephanie says:

So beautiful! I really love this! Especially that rich plum wall color!

29. missmare says:

love it all. the black and white floor… what kind of tile ? so shiny… its all so beautiful. love the fridge. love the dog’s entertainment room .

30. angela says:

missmare- I actually hand painted and finished the floor myself- its wood!

31. Super inspiring, kick ass house!

Where is the amazing hanging light in the bathroom from? Covet.

32. Amélie says:

I love your blog designsponge, and especially the before/after !
    Inthis one, I love everything : style, material, colours…
    My blog is in french, but you are welcome !

33. meredith says:

is this by belmont blue line? do you rent the other units? i’m looking to get into something similar in logan square and nervous about being a landlord!
    and how did you guys do this so quickly??

34. Audrey says:

Hi–
    I LOVE the house! I was wondering where the ovens are from? Thanks!

35. Lisa says:

Love this entire series! I am currently renovating my 1920s craftsman. Hard work, but what a beautiful ending to look forward too!

36. Taylor says:

i want this house(: just love it; its quirky !

37. mk says:

i love this remodel – the bathroom hasn’t received enough credit in the comments! it is simple, has clean lines and an old-fashioned feel. can you share where you found the shower curtain rod??

38. hl says:

Despite all the beautiful upgrades I cant get over the shock of the archway alteration. What a shame.

39. wow. what a totally beautiful place to live. I especially like the pantry cupboard and the rustic table in the kitchen eating nook.

40. sarah b. says:

Lovely house! I’m especially in love with the light fixtures, the purple living room walls, the bathroom & the kitchen! And OH! That pantry! Very nice.

41. Brianna says:

The paint colors are all so beautiful. And the fridge! Oh my! The stove is also super cute, but I don’t think I could use something that tiny.

42. Living in Chicago, I get a real kick out of these rehabs – and this is no exception! So beautiful, well done, high fives all around!

43. Jillian says:

I love love love the remodel… i am trying to fix up my place in chicago as well. i found a great 3×2 pane window that i want to hang up (similar to how you did in the dining rm?!?)…however its pretty heavy –and our place is old. do you have any suggestions on how to hang it up? thx! :)

44. Le says:

Oh my goodness, our last house had that exact same tile job in the bathroom. The exact same blue tiles and everything, except they stopped after the second black line on the top. The plaster wall was not pretty in the shower above the tile. (Huge black mildew.)

45. marisa says:

what amazing before and afters. I love the color scheme, simplicity, and all of the little natural touches. and what cute doggies~

46. Tori says:

That oven… I’m frothing at the mouth!

47. jodie says:

wowie wowser.

48. Erin says:

Is this for rent? My husband and I (and baby on the way) would love to live here!

49. Meg says:

I know I’m a couple years too late on this, but hopefully you’ll check it. I LOVE your house!!! I was wondering where you found that adorable light fixture in your pantry. It would look great in my kitchen. Thanks!

1. Amy Azzarito says:

Meg –
      It looks pretty similar to lighting fixtures from Schoolhouse Electric – like this one http://www.schoolhouseelectric.com/lighting-and-hardware/fixtures/pendant/willamette-6.html They have a lot of other color options. -Amy

50. Meg says: