before & after: quick & easy paint transformations (book)

today’s final before & after is dedicated to a great new makeover book from author and decorative painter annie sloan. quick and easy paint transformations (cico books, april 2010, $19.95) is chock-full of annie’s before & after paint transformations (50, to be precise) ranging from simple repainting and refinishing jobs, to more detailed prints, patterns, and decoupaging. in addition to the wow factor of the makeovers, annie also shares all of her expert tips for working with paint in the book. i personally loved the tips for thinning paint for an aged effect- as i think i’m one of those people who regularly over-paints with thick layers. i’ve selected some of my favorite projects from book above and below, but you can pick up a copy right here if you’d like to check out all 50 projects. thanks, marny!

[have a before & after you’d like to share? just shoot me an email with your images right here! (low res, under 500k per image, please)]

[image above: annie brought a simple grey wall to life by using a stencil to paint a flower print on the wall. bits of gold leaf were layered on top to create a glimmering, weathered look]

[image above: annie used historic images to create a sophisticated decoupage look on this simple white dresser]

CLICK HERE for more paint transformations after the jump!

[potato prints transformed this traditional dark wood table into something younger and more playful]

[brass candlesticks are thriftstore mainstays, so i love annie’s idea of using matte grey or black paint to create a more sophisticated antique feel. the gentle weathered look is achieved by rubbing sandpaper on the surface]

1. Love the wall makeover, those golden flowers are the perfect add to the gray!

2. tinajo says:

Great – some inspiration for me as I´m soon beginning to fix a dresser I just bought! :-)

3. ashlina says:

woah! all of this is so amazing. thanks for sharing the goodies. xoxo

4. Wow these are great! I love the dresser drawers.

5. Lea says:

Here’s some other ways to age brass that involve a little more effort but won’t flake off and don’t look like you’ve painted and then sanded the piece: http://www.architecturalclassics.com/blog/how-to-age-brass/

6. Erin says:

Oh. My. So excited about the wall makeover. I am inspired! Thank you!

7. dace says:

Wow, looks so great. thanks for inspiration, now I’m gonna look up more about the decoupage techique…

8. Sasha says:

Oh I love the gold paint! I’ll bet that room glows during sunset. :)

9. Cool! The dresser looks fab!

10. Sara(Mrs.B.) says:

Clever clogs!

11. ladylala says:

the dresser–what spin you put on it! i love the after pics!

12. great work.. after work is unbelievable outcomes..love it..

13. Eni Silva says:

I loved it! Very beautiful!
    Kisses!

14. Afshan says:

How interesting – I just put up a couple of pictures on my blog of a wall I painted red-pink.. I got the paint a bit too thin and too thick in some places but hey :)
    I think wall colours and paint should be experimented with if one can.
    That first photo is pretty & reminds me of fabric.

15. adelle says:

I did something very similar with a chest of drawers I bought from Ikea.

This only cost me about $30..

Have a look at the finished product on my blog.

16. Sandra says:

On the decoupaged chest, did they also add gold flakes?

17. lauren says:

i love the way annie’s decoupaged figures change directions from drawer to drawer – very scooby-doo-hallway-chase.

18. Robin says:

I think wall colours and paint should be experimented with if one can.
    That first photo is pretty & reminds me of fabric.

19. Nick says:

Cool! The dresser looks fab!

20. Eric says:

I think wall colours and paint should be experimented with if one can.
    That first photo is pretty & reminds me of fabric.

21. Annie Sloan says:

Thank you all you lovely people with your enthusiastic comments. I really appreciate it and thank you Design*Sponge too!!!!

22. Annie Sloan says:

I just want to say to Lea that the paint won’t flake off because it’s very special paint ….. it even stays on metal. And the whole paomnt of painting the candlestick was that it was not brass but very worn plated silver.

23. Matt says:

Love the dresser, looks really nice. The painted candlestick is a great idea and would work on loads of other stuff. Got an old mirror frame i’ve been meaning to paint for ages.