before & after: michael’s kitchen + chroma lab’s dresser

our next before & after comes from michael musser of anticipate invitations. michael recently moved from the beaches of los angeles to marietta, pennsylvania and wanted his kitchen renovation to have a classic, farmhouse feel. i love the countertop choice and that gorgeous yellow and white curtain- i’d be happy to cook dinner in there any day. great work, michael!

[have a before & after you’d like to share? just shoot me an email with your images right here! (low res, under 1M total, please)]

CLICK HERE for chroma lab’s technicolor dresser makeover after the jump!

the talented team at chroma lab (alicia and tony) sent over this colorful dresser makeover. one of their clients is expecting her first baby and asked chroma lab to custom paint a dresser for the nursery. using custom mixed colors from the low-VOC benjamin moore line, alicia and ton created this colorful geometric design, inspired by a watercolor painting that will hang in the nursery. the new look is so cheerful and happy. great work, alicia + tony!

1. colleen says:

Ugh! Not a fan of the beautiful wood dresser’s contemporary look.

2. Lisa says:

I am more and more leaning towards a wood counter, they just bring that added warmth to the kitchen. And, I love the bar handle hardware on the corner cupboard looks really good and just adds a little extra detail!

The dresser is a great touch of whimsy for a nursery and really if one day they want to bring it back to a wood finish it’s pretty darn easy to strip wood!

3. I am a big fan of ChromaLab! Here is the interview I did with them: http://bit.ly/9lCP3H
    And here is my visit to their studio with two pieces of furniture: http://bit.ly/a9U9rE
    I’ll be picking these up in a few weeks and can’t WAIT to see the finals!

4. Laura says:

does chroma lab still have those wood knobs from the dresser? i have a jackson press from the mid-1800s (from tennessee) with the same wood knobs and one is broken.

5. Stella says:

Generally I’m a paint-the-wood fan, but that dresser was so charming as it was. Quality is never “ordinary.” I think the new knobs are too tiny too. I’m glad the family is happy though.

My parent’s kitchen looks just like the before as well!! They are getting this link!

6. Becky says:

Great re-do. I love the way the counter tops look, but wondering how well they will wear?

7. Jools says:

Feels like a nice by-the-book Ikea rework. I think these counters may even be ikea. Nice. Cheerful. Cute. Not inspiring. No new ideas here.

8. Trude says:

That kitchen is lovely! Really love the tiled back splash.

9. Lauren Clare says:

I LOVE that wooden countertop and the tile backsplash.

10. erin says:

INSPIRATION!
    My kitchen is very similar to the ‘before’ picture from Mike. I already started our redecorating by painting a light blue color and putting up a really cheerful red roman blind with fabric I found in a fantastic quilting shop. But I haven’t done the cupboards yet. Having seen this before/after, I am inspired to put it a bit closer to the top of my ‘do’ list. Maybe I can also splurge on some tiles…..
    Love it! the whole look is so cheery and light.

11. meg says:

I hate the dresser both before and after. If it was mine, I would have painted it just not that way. I appreciate the effort that went into it; just doesn’t do it for me. Too much yellow maybe.

12. Shelley says:

Just have to weigh in, that i LOVE the dresser painted in lively colorful stripes. It’s perfect for a nursery/child’s room…and of course, it can always be reworked if the family does tire of it. (although i think i would LOVE it forever).

13. Emiko says:

That is exactly the direction I want to take my kitchen makeover! Thanks for the inspiration. It’s very motivating!!

14. Stunning kitchen. I love it- so clean, bright, and inviting. I want to hang out in that kitchen.

15. Amy K. says:

Hi – I’m the expecting mom who asked Chroma Lab to paint our dresser/future changing table and we love it! To really understand the pattern on the dresser you have to see it with the watercolor that it was inspired by. The colors in the top two photos are also more saturated than it actually looks in person.

The dresser was not a high quality piece before (made out of pine and pretty beat-up) and we appreciated how Chroma Lab could give it a new life with paint and make it much more appropriate for our nursery!

16. Nick says:

I love the back splash!! Did you purchase that glass tile online? If so can you let me know where….

17. Siobhan says:

Mike,

Gorgeous, gorgeous kitchen. Do you happen to know the brand of that sea glass tile? I showed a pic to the guy at Home Depot and he acted if I were cray! I’m hoping I can find it somewhere else, it’s exactly what I want for our bathroom but can’t afford at the standard $21/sqft.

Thanks!

18. mvd says:

The kitchen makeover is amazing but that dresser makeover is heartbreaking. The same striking thing could have been done with a new, unfinished piece (or even a truly unattractrive one) rather than a well-made, dove-tailed semi-antique. I’m glad that the owner is happy with it but it really just seems a waste to use something that someone else would have loved as-is.