before & after: mia’s frame table + greg’s cooler

this next project comes from mia loge chung. mia found a beautiful old medicine cabinet and chair at a flea market and decided to transform it into a bedside table. after sawing off the chair seat, mia attached the medicine cabinet to the legs, creating a fun little table with built-in storage. after a coat of paint, it was placed next to her bedside table and the look was complete. as a bonus crafty project, mia created the artwork above her bed using her old closet door and leftover paint from her bedroom. well done, mia!

[have a before & after you’d like to share? just shoot me an email with your images right here! (low res, under 500k per image, please)]

CLICK HERE for greg’s vintage water cooler makeover after the jump!

d*s reader greg just moved to austin texas and brought along a restoration project with him: a 1940’s westinghouse water cooler. the cooler was a fixture of his childhood, but spent the last few years sitting unused in a storage shed. after his move, greg decided to search for some (very hard to find) parts to get the cooler in working shape, and now it’s ready to go- complete with a new cherry red finish. great work, greg!

*the vintage advertisement-version of greg’s water cooler came from this vintage vending site.

1. Great ideas, and that water cooler is to die for!

2. Deanna says:

I love how it has storage, too!

3. Marie says:

Great work on both! Mia, where did you get that bedding? It’s gorgeous.

4. The mirror/bedside table is brilliant. A really easy project too…

5. Melinda says:

Oh I just LOVE that cooler!!!

6. Lola says:

I love the water cooler. Was it professionally painted or diy?

7. christy says:

I love the nightstand, but mine is always so covered in junk I would never be able to open it. It is lovely though. :)

8. beth says:

I like the extra diy door art above the bed! Thanks for pointing that out!

9. Alix says:

The cooler is GORGEOUS!

10. Kristan says:

Amazing! The table is so creative – I would never have thought to combine those like that. And the water cooler restoration is judge gorgeous.

11. Elizabeth says:

That water cooler is all kinds of wonderful.

12. Kristi Hauke says:

The bedding is from Ikea. I saw it there the other day.

13. christa says:

I have that same bedding from Ikea…love the green on walls though!

the water cooler is awesome!!!

14. Greg says:

I painted it myself – thanks for the compliment!

15. heidi says:

The water cooler is to die for.
    seriously. fantastic.

16. tod says:

what a great idea! the water cooler is to die for. and i love the simplicity of the mirror table. just beautiful!

17. Zoya says:

the customization of mirror drawer and the table is so aesthetic

18. zoya says:

the customization of the mirror top drawer table is so aesthetic and the new life of water cooler is so colorful

19. Peter Bagi says:

love that painting above the bed! awesome

20. Dodi says:

Both of these projects are beautiful and inspiring! I want a water cooler.

21. kelli king says:

Adore both of these…
    I’m with others that love the diy painting above the bed. Great work on both projects. Viva Design*Sponge!!

22. jackie says:

awesome makeovers. love the red color for the water cooler.

23. Lisa says:

As sweet as the side table is; it still looks exactly like a medicine cabinet sitting on a chair base. Now her artwork looks great and who would have thought it was a door.
    The water cooler is amazing and must Greg smile every time he uses or walks by it! I see that you painted it yourself. Could you give us tips as to how you painted around the “Westinghouse” – like do you glue over the signs, spray paint then peel the glue off when it is dried?

24. Greg says:

Hi Lisa,

I removed as much of the chrome as possible before painting and then re-attached it later after a cleaning/polishing. The Westinghouse logo couldn’t be easily removed, so I painted right over it – waited for the paint to partly dry, and then lightly sanded the surface. Be careful doing this if you are dealing with thin chrome plating!

25. Rachana says:

wounderful site and very inspiring too.
    lovely makeover in recycle way.
    Greeitngs from India

26. brooke cooley says:

Omgosh, beautiful!!! I love!!! I have been looking for a vintage water cooler for yrs for my husband. He loves tanker desk era. Where do u find it? And any suggestions where i might go to find one?!! Dosent have to be in good condition.

27. Hannah says:

How did you paint the cooler?