before & after: lori’s porch + barb’s dresser

this next before & after comes from lori guyer of frugal farmhouse design. lori lives on the north fork of eastern long island and occasionally works with a local realtor staging homes to make them sell. for this project, her challenge was to freshen up a porch for under $350. using most of her budget for paint, lori brightened up the previously dark wooden porch and used beautiful yard sale finds (like a farm table made from discarded wood from the local landfill) and an $85 light from barn light electric to spruce up the room. i love the soft, slightly country feel to the room and the pieces of furniture lori chose to decorate the room. i don’t think i’d have a problem moving in here. for more images and more details on lori’s project, check out her blog. thanks, lori and megan!

[have a before & after you’d like to share? just shoot me an email with your images right here! (low res, under 500k per image, please)]

the next project is from one of my favorite furniture rehab-ers, barb from knack studios. lately i’ve been growing more and more interested in painting my furniture black, so this black finish makeover is right up my alley (i love how the little flourish on the top drawer stands out more now). barb updated this piece for a client’s lakehouse and i love the sophisticated feel it has now- great work, barb! click here for more info on this project.

1. Shanna says:

love the dresser makeover! so lovely!!

2. Laura says:

Completely amazing what a simple can of white paint will do! LOVE the tin lamp shade

3. Kristen says:

Both are great renos. What a change/breath of fresh air. Makes you walk into a room and say “oh wow” rather than “oh”. nice job!

4. Loving the porch…white is…wow.

5. Courtney says:

Wow that porch is beautiful!

6. abby says:

The porch is gorgeous! It’s amazing what a can (or 5) of white paint can do.

7. The porch is shocking! I definitely would NOT have painted the floor if it had been me doing it. And I would have been completely WRONG! They look fantastic.

8. We had a porch just like this on our last house and I WISH it had looked this fab! My Mr. would never, never allow me to paint pine paneling. Shame.

9. I love, love, love the porch after! The dresser looks great, too!

10. MayDae says:

WOW – what a difference paint makes!

11. These are all just gorgeous!! Barb’s piece makes me swoon! That black is incredible on that piece.

12. Greta says:

Where is the galvanized pendant light fixture from? I absolutely love it!

1. grace says:

greta

there’s a link to the lighting company in the post above (barn electric)

g

13. Eva says:

The porch is fantastic! I really want to have breakfast there in my PJs… one day, one day I will have a porch like that

14. Jackie says:

I am so envious of that porch. GORGEOUS. The white looks so clean and inviting. Crisp and happy :)

15. alice says:

i love the frugal farmhouse transformation. amazing!

16. Wow, these are AMAZING!!! I would have never thought to paint that room white, it looks like a new space completely and I LOVE it!

17. Calvine says:

Oh my, that porch is killer! I’m melting over here. Just gorgeous!

18. for the love.. says:

we *ALL* know that Barb from Knack studios refinishes furniture amazingly well. can we see some more DIYers who aren’t making money off your lauded posts? that would be great. thanks!

1. grace says:

for the love–

tune in every thursday and you can take your pick of people doing before & afters without a profit. one post from barb doesn’t mean the rest of them are suddenly making money off things. and if they were, does that make the project any less impressive or interesting?

grace

19. Reese says:

Love the dresser! What kind of paint did you use and where the heck did you get those adorable handles?

20. M. says:

what a change!!!
    so light and inviting….love it!

21. elsa says:

love this porch … I have a big sleeping porch off my living room that would be perfect for a makeover like this! I have to do it!!!

22. rebecca says:

Barb Barb Barb. Love the dresser.

I’m fine with looking at Barb’s dressers all day.

The porch is very impressive for a $350 budget. Great job.

23. Tanya says:

Such a dramatic change with that porch

24. Katie says:

Wow, that patio looks soo peaceful!

25. Bernie says:

I could live all day on that porch. Check out Lowe’s and Home Depot for less expensive versions of the galvanized light.

26. Joanna says:

I want that table. I have been looking for a table like that for a long time.

27. knack says:

hey all…..

thank you so much for the compliments on louie…….he feels so much better:)

renee….the paint is black latex paint in a satin finish with a minwax stain on the top for protection, and the knobs are from a trade source.

hope you all have a great weekend!

xo

28. I love black-painted furniture….

29. sian huygens says:

Hey what is that “a” reflected in the mirror? I like it! Whats it made of?

30. max says:

The porch is amazing! It’s like someone turned back the time. It reminds me somehow of ‘Gone with the Wind’.

31. Vanessa says:

I really appreciate looking at a real room done over with a realistic budget and I wish everyone shared the costs and sourcing for their projects. Thanks so much!

32. Francesca says:

i. want. that. porch.

33. wynzia says:

oh, that porch…pretty, pretty.