before & after: exteriors + entryways

this next before & after pair is all about how we enter our homes. first up is a fantastic home exterior makeover from modfrugal. she has been updating her home for a while now, and finally finished the exterior upgrade! i love the cool dark siding she chose and the modern landscaping that leads up to the front door. it’s a complete 180 from the wooden look before, but i love the fresh new feel. great work, modfrugal!

[have a before & after you’d like to share? just shoot me an email with your images right here! (low res, under 500k per image, please)]

CLICK HERE for nicole’s checkerboard entryway after the jump!

lord knows i love a checkerboard floor, so i couldn’t resist this entryway floor makeover from nicole merrell at design blooms. nicole recently finished a series of projects in her home and this painted entryway floor really takes the cake for me. i love when something as inexpensive as paint can give a room a completely different feel. and for me, this checkerboard pattern, really turns nicole’s entryway from an overlooked transitional space into an area with special visual interest. well done, nicole!

1. C.Alicia says:

Oh yeah. That’s a beautiful home.

2. Helena says:

love the exterior, great shell, looks so modern somehow

3. Kristan says:

Wow!! That dark siding does wonders. Really stunning and classy.

4. Tanya says:

W-O-W those are dramatic wonderful changes. Great home!

5. jessica says:

that is beautiful.

6. Meagan says:

So awesome! I love all of the before and afters today, they’re inspiring indeed.

7. I ‘ve been reading modfrugal’s blog for a while now, but I had no idea how much work has gone into making that house look so fabulous. Seriously, it doesn’t even look like the same home! I LOVE IT. Thanks for the before and after!

8. Ellen says:

I love the look of the dark exterior, but I wonder if it’ll heat up too much? They’re now saying to paint the roof white to reduce heat, so having the whole house black seems like it could dramatically increase cooling costs.

On the other hand, it looks really shady there. Maybe the house in shaded in the summer, and in the winter when they trees don’t have leaves, the home would gain some natural solar heat.

Things to think about on Earth Day! I would be interested to know if it was something they looked into

9. amazing exterior makeover! absolutely love it

10. modfrugal says:

Thanks….and Happy Earth Day!
    Ellen: We did investigate and left the existing roof for both budget and heat/cooling reasons. It’s actually a dark brown. We do have a LOT of trees and are completely shaded in the summer. Since the trees are deciduous, it gives us some nice heat and light in the winter. Our heating and cooling costs have actually dropped because the metal added another layer of insulation.

11. Maria says:

that tree outside is lovely!

12. Lightopia says:

Excellent job modfrugal. That exterior is a prime example of Diamond in the rough. I never would have imagined such a modern look on that house.

Nicole’s Checkerboard deserves a nod as well. It seems to often people don’t realize paint is an option for wood floors. This is one of those instances where paint was the clear choice.

13. ooo i love both of these makeovers. the siding was such a dramatic and perfect choice. and that painted floor really livens up the space. great job!

14. C says:

love that redone exterior!

kills me to see that beautiful wood floor painted! guh! especially when the other side, beyond the door way, looked unfinished.

15. Thanks ya’ll!!! I knew I wanted something dramatic for the entry way. C, It was hard to paint the floors, but after sanding and refinishing the ENTIRE house, including the floors that are touching the entry way floor, it just had a different stain. If we get tired of it, we can always sand it down and stain it to match the rest.

16. Katie says:

All I can say is WOW. Absolutely stunning exterior transformation!

17. keith says:

I am too jealous of this property to comment! Just beautiful – well done.

18. Cricket says:

LOVE the outside transformation. Great job!

19. Anthony says: