sneak peek: rosetta santucci

painter rosetta santucci lives with her husband, their two boys and labradoodle, Banjo in this home in footscray, (just outside of melbourne) australia. rosetta’s background in costume for film and television along with her passion for textiles has deeply influenced her painting style. as someone who used to bemoan the white walls in rental apartments, i love seeing how so many painters live so gracefully with white. it reminds me that not all white is equal and that the right white can certainly make all the difference. {thanks rosetta!} {and a special thanks to lucy at the design files for suggesting rosetta to us!} -amy a.

[The house has many original features so we just needed to highlight what was already here, like beautiful old boards which we limewashed and we refreshed the walls with white paint to show off our art! I am a painter and I am lucky enough to have a lovely studio at the rear of our house which I work in nearly every day. I grew up in the Barossa Valley surrounded by vineyards and wide open spaces, and in so doing, developed a deep concern with natural forms connected to life – plants, bones, feathers, hills, trees and stones. More and more I realise that my paintings are a path of self discovery and an expression of life’s experiences. As an artist, I understand that nature and life have a lot to offer.]

[photo above: This is the dining room where we have our meals, its beautiful in winter with our cosy original fireplace.]

[photo above: This is the living room with a 1970’s Australian “Chiswell” teak sideboard with some eclectic vintage pottery. The abstract painting is by my husband John. And the gorgeous labradoodle “Banjo” sits on the cowhide.]

[photo above: This is our bedroom and it is one of my paintings which sits above the bed.]

CLICK HERE for the rest of Rosetta’s peek (and all the images on one page!)

[photo above: This is an original Victorian fireplace in our bedroom.  A lovely hand-sewn Indian bedspread is draped on the bed. Next to the fireplace is a 1950s Australian webbed chair.]

[photo above: This credenza is an Ebay purchase, on top sits murano glass and more pottery! Family photos line the wall.]

[photo above: Our living room.  A Moroccan foot stool sits in front of the sofa and a painting of mine hangs on the wall.]

[photo above: The studio we had built a few years ago is where my husband and I both work.  An old Moroccan window gives the space an exotic, creative feel.]

[photo above: This is outside of the studio.  The Moroccan window I found in a shop many years.  When we had the studio built it was the perfect opportunity to utilize this beautiful piece.  A cute 1950’s outdoor chair sits next to a vintage table.]

1. rebecca says:

Beautiful paintings! It looks as if the items in your home have influenced the work. I have to say, I am also jealous of your studio…

2. Rachel says:

Their dog is so adorable!

3. Kristina says:

I love any house with a dog in the picture

4. I love the chandelier over the dining table! Where can I find that?!

5. leanne says:

any house that has the living embodiment of rolf from the muppets living in it, is tops with me.

i also really love the use of pendants here. i couldn’t figure out which one to compliment.

6. Jeni Shirley says:

This is beautiful. I love the colors. I would love to sit by that fireplace. :)

7. Jaimie says:

beautiful home and beautiful paintings. do you sell any of your paintings or prints of them?

8. Kristin says:

The picture of your bedroom took my breath away, I love the colors so much. Your paintings are gorgeous.

9. carolyn says:

my, how i want that fireplace…

10. teresa says:

I, too, thought that Banjo was adorably muppet-like… cuter even!

Wow, Rosetta, what can I say about your home other than utterly, utterly charming. I am seriously coveting every single piece of art work on your walls. Great stuff!

You’ve also given me an idea. I have a similar plain white coverlet on my bed – I’m going to seek out a colorful, patterned throw to add to it. Thanks so much for sharing!!

11. Viola says:

The dog’s coloring matches the room, too cute! Love the paintings too!

12. I love this. This is so beautiful. I love the painting above the bed and the placement of all the frames above the table. Gorgeous.

13. tara says:

i love this house! can you tell us where the bookshelf in the dining room is from – is it ikea?? thanks!

14. I’m dying for that fireplace in the dining room!

15. // Sarah says:

The wood burning fireplace in the dining room is fabulous! And their office is so cute & cozy. Very jealous!

16. Katie says:

Rosetta’s home is quite possibly my favorite yet. It is beautiful, warm, creative, inviting – just everything I love. Thanks for sharing!

17. Rosetta- Your paintings are lovely!

18. Lucie says:

Fantasticly gorgeous! Can you please tell me where you got the light fixture over your bed? Thanks!

19. gwyn says:

I love your paintings and I’am envious of your studio!

20. sulu-design says:

Love this one! The unpretentious combination of clean modern pieces with warm paintings and textiles is really beautiful. I aspire to be able to combine pieces so beautifully and comfortably in my own home.

21. Rosey says:

Absolutely gorgeous! Stunning artwork! I have the same question as Lucie, where is the light fixture above your bed from? Its beautiful! :)

22. devon says:

Great lights in all the rooms. Can we get some info on those? Thanks!

23. Stephanie says:

fabulous. in love with that teak sideboard.

24. Renee says:

the light fixture in the bedroom is stunning!

25. Novi says:

Rosetta’s paintings are beautiful, so very imaginative! I love the pottery collection scattered throughout this simple but lovely home. Love the studio.

26. imogen says:

thanks for featuring another aussie sneak peak, it’s great to see!

27. kb says:

The bookshelf is Norrebo (sp?) from IKEA. We have one as well, but I think it may have been discontinued. I can’t currently find it on the website. Another vote for details on those stunning light fixtures!

28. Lane dittoe says:

Very cool, love the abstracts! thanks

29. Laura says:

I love the fireplace in the dining room-so cozy. And I lvoe her artwork.

30. DC Sarah says:

incredibly eclectic, warm, folksy, yet decidely modern. so wonderful.

31. Kelley says:

I am so very proud to have one of Rosetta’s beautiful (and earlier ) paintings in my home here in Melbourne. I wish I had more walls to dedicate to her work. I love her stuff.

32. Jo in NZ says:

Lovely! Go, the Southern Hemisphere!

33. erendira says:

so clean and bright. i love the use of patterns. and the moroccan window is beautiful!

34. Meg says:

I’m pretty much obsessed with this house! I want, want, want that sideboard!

35. Gayle says:

Never before have I actually been moved to comment: Rosetta’s paintings, her husband’s paintings, the light fixtures, the Moroccan items!!! How truly beautiful!

36. I don’t think there’s one inch of this house that I’m not in love with! I could move right in!

37. Girlie says:

I love all of this! Can you tell me about the fabric on the pillow on the bed?

38. Absolutely loving the house and her art work!

39. gayle australia says:

just when i think i’ve had enough of living with an old house – especially as i contemplate a new roof and lots of extra work required to keep it standing – along comes someone who reminds me that it is such a privilege to live in history. i am also inspired by your art rosetta. thanks for your light and loveliness.

40. David says:

The attention to detail here is phenomenal!

Even the collection of family photos has been arranged in perfect harmony.

Very inspiring, thanks for sharing.

41. Emily says:

Oh I love this. One of the best sneak peeks I’ve seen! Those paintings!!

42. Tamar says:

I can answer where one of the lights comes from. The stunner in the kitchen/dining room is by David Trubrige – http://www.davidtrubridge.com/lighting-set/ Been lusting after that one for years!

Love your paintings Rosetta.

43. Kylie Thevenau says:

Hello, does anyone know if the boards were jarrah? A beautiful house Rosetta x