milwaukee guide

images via wikipedia

today’s city guide is devoted to the great city of milwaukee, wisconsin. the guide was written by milwaukee local and author of the blog cream city and sugar, sara yaeggi. sara is walking us through her “beloved” milwaukee’s best spots to eat, shop, site-see and find entertainment, so i hope you’ll enjoy this guide to milwaukee the next time you’re in town. as always, if you have a favorite local spot that’s missing feel free to add it in the comment section below. thanks, sara!

*starting next week we’ll be posting some updated city guides. we’ve been working hard to update any and all city guides written before 2009, so stay tuned for an updated brooklyn guide next tuesday!

CLICK HERE for the full milwaukee guide after the jump!

image via wikipedia

When I moved to Milwaukee almost ten years ago for college, I only packed one bag because I didn’t think I would be staying very long. I ending up falling in love with this city: the breweries and the lakefront lured me in, but growing culture and diversity kept me here. After I graduated from Marquette, I decided to stay. I found a job, met my fiancé, and moved to Bay View. I started my blog, Cream City and Sugar to post about post-college life: finding your style, decorating, discovering things you can finally afford, and my beloved Milwaukee.

Over the last decade a burgeoning restaurant scene has developed with Beard award winning chefs, designer and upscale boutiques have appeared, and local indie music is thriving (Kings Go Forth, Decibully, Maritime). The old stereotypes of a dull, blue collar, beer drinking, bratwurst-eating city are changing, and when visitors come to Milwaukee, they start to fall in love with it like I did. I’ve heard it described as “Portland with more beer”. It’s true: our beer culture is strong and the roots are deep. Milwaukee is known as the “beer capital of the U.S.” and the names Miller, Pabst, Schiltz, and Blatz are like members of our family, but you find can also find new names like Leinenkugels, New Glarus, and Tyranena. If you visit, come in the summer. The winters are harsh and people tend to hibernate. But, in the summer, the city comes alive with festivals and block parties every weekend. Milwaukee is becoming more bike-friendly, but it is still best accessible by car.

Amtrak’s Hiawatha route runs regularly back and forth from Chicago. Gen. Mitchell International Airport is located just south of the city and an easy 15 minute cab ride to downtown. To check out the local happenings, grab a Shepherd Express paper or log onto

GO TO…..
MAM: The gem of the city, the architectural wings open in the morning and close at night.
Haggery Museum of Art: Walk through the Marquette University campus, check out the Joan of Arc Chapel nearby.
Fred: Fun, stylish, reasonably priced fashion. Limited stock means guaranteed unique pieces.
Pabst Theater: Indie artists almost every night, insanely breath-taking historic theater, $3 PBR tallboys.

Lakefront Brewery: The best brewery tour, great beer, legendary Wisconsin fish fry.
Alterra on the Lake: There are many Alterras in Milwaukee, but this one is everyone’s favorite.

Bacchus: Upscale but the food is worth the splurge.
Roots: Organic and local food, perched on a bluff with a great view of the city.

LIVE LIKE A LOCAL: MAM after Dark, Summerfest. Jazz in the Park. Take the Riverwalk. And pay your parking meter, or else.

GO TO…..
The Home Market: Simple yet chic home goods, furniture, and décor with an upscale flea market feel. This is my favorite store in Milwaukee (my checkbook will tell you so) .
Freckle Face: The cutest kids clothes you ever will see.
Hot*Pop: Art and design boutique and gallery. Clothes and fun stuff that is young, bright, and modern.
Eisner Museum: Advertising and Design museum. Explore advertising’s influence on American culture. Near Milwaukee Institute of Design.
Broadway Paper: Stationery, greeting cards, invitations, gift wrap, and handmade paper.
Katie Gingrass Gallery: A contemporary fine art gallery with regular exhibits.
Lela: Wearable fashion that’s moderately priced and has great style.

Coquette: Traditional and classic Parisian cafe with white table cloths and excellent service. Multiple Beard award winning chef, Sandy D’Amato prepares the most delicious food.
Milwaukee Public Market: 20 local vendors selling fresh food, flowers, spices. St. Paul Fish Co. serves a good lunch.
Hinterland: Gastropub with wild game, gourmet ingredients.

Wicked Hop: Bloody Mary’s , beer, food, and a social hotspot.
Milwaukee Ale House: Great beer and a riverfront patio.

LIVE LIKE A LOCAL: Gallery Night, Mid-winter Brew Fest

GO TO…..
Optix: Even if you’re not in the market for new glasses, check out all the crazy yet gorgeous styles.
Utrecht Art Supplies: Big and small art supplies.
Oriental Theater: Indie and mainstream movies. Incredible and historic 1920’s movie palace with plenty of gilded ceilings and red carpets.
Detour / Ma Jolie / Miss Groove: Top shelf clothing stores for the fashion savvy trend-seekers.

Comet: Rock and Roll greasy comfort food.
Beans & Barley: The best choice for vegan, vegetarian, or organic eaters. Deli and market for to-go eats.
Trocadero: Always voted best brunch. Nice big patio. Modern french feel. Good for large groups and hangover drinks.

Balzac : Wine bar tucked away just off Brady St. Small menu with cheese and appetizers.
The Garage: Next door to HiHat, a nice hangout with great music under a canopy of large trees and branches.
Nomad: Like a world traveler’s attic. Souvenirs and beers from all around the world.

LIVE LIKE A LOCAL: Ride your bike, shop for groceries at Glorioso’s Italian Foods, have a late night snack from the Pepperoni/Cannoli guy.

GO TO…..
Sparrow Collective: Local designers, handcrafted accessories.
Rush Mor Records: Old School record store with hard to find CD’s and Vinyl.
Tip Top Atomic Shop: Retro and mid-century modern paradise.

Honey Pie: Laden with heavy cheese sauce and Wisco-pride, this hotspot caters to hipsters and blue-haired ladies alike.
Palomino: Rockabilly roadside fare with plenty of vegan options to boot.
Café Lulu: A neighborhood fixture. Kitschy and cool.

Highbury Pub: British beers and British soccer.
Sugar Maple: A craft beer mecca for beer drinkers that know the difference between a porter vs. a bock.
Burnhearts: Tucked away between houses, this tavern has a hip vibe, great beer, and impeccable music.

LIVE LIKE A LOCAL: Bay View Bash in September, PBR Block Party on 4th of July, South Shore Water Frolics in July, South Shore Farmers Market

GO TO…..
Clinton Street Antiques: An edited mix of eclectic and unique.
Fox Skylight Gallery Antiques: Large and vast like an indoor flea market.
Fashion Ninja: Indie fashion with a couture look.
Walker’s Point Center for the Arts: Avant garde visual and performing arts center.
Brass Light Gallery: Amazing handcrafted Arts & Crafts style lighting for residential or commercial.
Harley Davidson Museum: Find out about Harley’s history from WWI to weekend warriors.

La Merenda: Tapas from around the world. My personal favorite is the Sambul Goreng Udang.
The National: Coffee, sandwiches, beer– all local and sustainable.
Soup Bros: The maker of these fine, hearty broths and stews is better known as the “soup nazi”. Dining area is decorated with an incredibly eclectic mix of ephemera, artwork, and personal belongings.

Bryant’s: A genuine 50’s lounge with black velvet walls, Brandy Alexanders, and Frank Sinatra music.
Moct: Renovated warehouse garage turned DJ driven night club.

LIVE LIKE A LOCAL: South 2st St. is a largely LGBT district. The pride parade marches through the street every year as part of Pride Fest.

GO TO…..
Re-threads: Nicely edited thrift store that still has great prices.
Loop: Yarn supply and knitting store.
Project M: Men’s and women’s clothing all made by local designers.

Fuel Café: Aimed towards gearheads, grunge rockers, and coffee drinkers.
Nessum Dorma: Menu of Panini, bruschetta, and antipasti set in an old storefront.

Stonefly Brewery: Gritty and dark, but staff is friendly, and they brew their own beer.

LIVE LIKE A LOCAL: See some live bands at Mad Planet or dance at the Get-Down. See motorcycles and scooters at Rockerbox in August. Walk the trails around the Urban Ecology Center.

1. Nicole says:

Milwaukee is misspelled in the opening paragraph. Amtrak does not own the airport as you imply when you call is Amtrak’s General Mitchell International Airport.

Trocadero is closed for at least a month and someone mentioned Bella’s Fat Cat – the Brady Street location closed a year ago and the Oakland location is closing.

2. andrea says:

Thanks for this. I just booked a trip here and it couldn’t have come at a more perfect time.

BTW, a lot of the links are not working.

3. Elizabeth says:

Yay! So happy to finally see a Milwaukee guide. I’ve lived here for almost 12 years yet still hear about new places on a fairly regular basis. For anyone considering a move here, the cost of living is pretty cheap and there are some amazingly beautiful old homes by the lakeshore (& within the city too) to gawk at! Definitely worth a walk or drive along Lake Drive and the surrounding neighborhoods.

4. justem says:

Awesome! So excited to see a Milwaukee post here!

5. I love this guide to Milwaukee! As a Bayview resident myself, I would include the awesome Cafe Centraal and Tonic in Bayview for a cool place to get a drink. I would also highly recommend Stone Creek Coffee! Yay Milwaukee!

6. Laura Jane says:

As a Milwaukee girl for going on seven years now (I came for undergrad, stayed for my Masters and never left…)… All the recommendations above stand.

I’d like to add that for the best bar trivia in town (seriously), check out Charlie’s in the Third Ward.

Also, one of the BEST (and least known) restaurants in town is Crazy Water. Their kitchen is smaller than many closets… and the food, wine and service are impeccable.

Viva Milweezy!!

7. jodi says:

As a life long Milwaukee girl, this guide is much appreciated.

8. Great blog! Can’t wait to read more. Thanks for sharing.

9. Heather says:

Located inside Katie Gingrass Gallery (Broadway & Buffalo) is an amazing shoe boutique called (shoo), don’t miss it!

(p.s. the Gingrass link is wonky)

10. Kerith says:

Congrats, Sara!!! This is a great guide!

11. Christine says:

Thanks for the MKE guide. Our first visit to Milwaukee was such a pleasant surprise, not at all what we expected. Thanks for all the great links. Will definitely put them on my To-Do list, but it looks like some of them need to be done rather quickly. I will add my two cents of visiting Third Ward Jewelry also in the Katie Gingrass Gallery.

12. Ashley says:

After looking through the city guides this week planning spring break ,I noticed Milwaukee was not listed yet so I’m excited to see this post! I’ve lived here the last 6 years. There’s so much to do here.

Another restaurant is Hotch-A-Do on North by Beans and Barley. They have vegetarian options and a shuffle board! It’s a cute place for brunch.

Most the other posts were spot on..

13. giant peach says:

MKE holds a special place in my heart. I would make frequent trips to see my friend Tess attending Marquette and had a blast every time. She lived next to Lake Front Brewery, enough said. Our tradition consisted of her picking me up from the airport and going immediately to Flannery’s for a beer and burger. Thanks for the post, it brought back special memories! xoxo

14. Ben Kregel says:

I’ve lived here for 22 years. This is a fantastic guide and shows how incredible the city really is!

15. Jennifer says:

The city of Milwaukee is truly a gem, most people are surprised at all it has to offer!

Great guide! Great comments!

16. Rachel says:

best Milwaukee guide ever!

17. Sandee says:

Woo Hoo!! Milwaukee! I catch this site daily and it’s always awesome to get a shout out for your city! :)

Milwaukee sometimes gets pushed aside compared to Chicago, but the East Side of Mil-Town is definitely a diamond in the rough! :) Come visit!!

18. Christina says:

When you’re in town, listen to Non-Profit Community Radio station 91.7 WMSE for the volunteer curated radio and the “heads up” for all the events happening in town. Check out the archives at

19. Cara says:

I’ve been in Madison for a couple of years, but I’ve never seen more of Milwaukee than the airport. I’m packing my bag for a weekend get away!

20. Allie says:

Guys, you can’t talk about Milwaukee without mentioning THIS:

21. Emiko says:

Yay Milwaukee!! It is a great town to be in, and proud to call it home for 20 years. I agree with all of Sara’s call outs to visit/taste/see. Thank you featuring our wonderful town D*S! Love the Home Market!!

22. Ashley says:

Also forgot to mention the King and I for THE BEST Thai food downtown, close to Grand Ave Mall on Wisconsin.

23. Jill says:

I have to give a shout out to the best radio station in the world . . . RADIO MILWAUKEE 88.9. I’ve lived in Milwaukee for a dozen years and I love this city. If I left, this is what I would miss the most. Radio Milwaukee is more than radio, it is a movement. It is changing our mindset, changing our culture and breeding incredible local, independent music and culture.

24. Kirsten H says:

You forgot Pizza Shuttle!!!!!!!!! I LOVE Pizza Shuttle on Farwell!

25. Anna says:

You forgot Cafe Hollander on the East Side! Guys will love the beer menu and the atmosphere is amazing!

There is also the Downer theater nearby which is a great stop for indie films

26. Rachel says:

I know it’s in Wauwatosa, but Balistreri’s on 68th St. has the BEST Pizza! (And fried eggplant) Mmmm.

27. Tom Graber says:

Great guide! To really get the Milwaukee experience you have to do a Friday fish fry. There certainly are a ton of them in the area. to find a fish fry either by location, type of fish (bluegill, cod, perch etc) or all you can eat, go to

It’s a great site to find a fish fry in Milwaukee, Waukesha, Ozaukee, Washington, Racine or Kenosha counties, over 550 in all!

28. Del says:

Someone mentioned Milwaukee’s distillery -Great Lakes Distillery’s wonderful vodka and Gin, but we stopped this past weekend for their tour. Highly recommend it- we had a blast, tiny distillery and a bunch of great spirits- (they make a lot more than vodka and gin). It’s right across from the Iron Horse, a great boutique hotel where we were staying.

29. Jacy says:

Be sure to check out Elsa’s on the Park at 833 N. Jefferson St. Whenever I visit Mil town, that’s where I stop for a bite.

30. Susan says:

How can we forget Glorioso’s and Sciortino’s on Brady Street for fantastic Italian food??

31. project m says:

We love your blog over at project m.
    I was just wondering if you could please update our site on your guide! Thanks!

32. shannon says:

Thanks for a great guide! I am moving to Milwaukee in less than a week and am super excited to get to know the city.

33. Kyle says:

Just wanted to let you know that my wife and I went up to Milwaukee from Chicago last weekend and used this post as a personal tour guide from our phone. Thanks!

34. Adrienne says:

Update please!

35. Virginia says:

YAYYY MILWAUKEE!! I’m from there and there is a place worth going to called Hong Thai on Greenfield in West Allis…hands down THE BEST thai food ever. Will change your life. Order ladna ma mee (don’t know correct spelling). It is amazing!

36. Hey! Looks like an update is needed! I’d be willing to work on one for you. I’m one of the owners of Sparrow Collective in Bay View Milwaukee. Over the past few years we have added sooo many new establishments to not just Bay View but all over… I’d love to help spread the news! Milwaukee is such a great place but it’s definitely has it’s hidden gems!