living in: in the mood for love

by

In the Mood for Love has the capacity to hold me spellbound for it’s entire length. I kept forgetting to pause and take screen grabs for the images I wanted to include in the column because I was so entranced. Wong Kar-wai’s sweeping and reserved platonic romance tells the tale of a pair of neighbors in who discover their spouses are having an affair in 1962 Hong Kong.

Schumacher’s Chiang Mai Dragon fabric, beaded clutch $67, birdcage hanging lamp $98, set of 2 vintage jadite cups and saucers $37, Mah Jong set $58, talcum powder $2.50, wooden comb $3.50, engine barstool $89, bonox clock $18.

Sometimes when I do this posts for lesser known movies, I get really worried. I want them to be great so you’ll rent it and (hopefully) love it as much as I do. Normally, I’ll just pull a few cute things from the internet and write up a couple of sentences and hope for the best. This time is different. I am going to shamefully beg you to watch this movie. On my knees, beg. Seriously beg. Get thee to thine house of DVD rental and watch right now, beg. It’s sexy, reserved and utterly sublime. You won’t be sorry.* -amy m.

*and if you are, I’ll love you anyways.

three panel screen $129, fluted pendant lamp $248, crane desk lamp $99, loose tea tins $2.25+, classic clock $55, set of two noodle bowls and chopsticks $20, acacia mini bar $399, vintage embroidered slippers $24.50, lunch box set of 3 $85.

1. drea says:

this movie is amazing. great pick! and thank you, i love your posts.

2. hush says:

I love lesser-known film recommendations!! This little gem is available on my Netflix instant queue! Hooray!

3. leigh says:

this is an incredible movie!!!! so many others have already professed their love above, but i just had to add to the spirit!

thanks so much. i wish i could dress like her every day!

4. Issa says:

ooooh, movie sounds interesting! will definitely get myself a copy. thanks!

5. Nancy says:

i absolutely love this film, however it’s sequel, 2046 is in my opinion even more beautiful. So if you have not seen that – go get it!!! thanks for a great post :)

6. StacyZ says:

I saw this movie at the theater when it came out mostly due to an interview with the director. He said that the city was changing daily and he wanted to capture as much as he could before it disappeared. I understand. I was enchanted. My favorite scene is when the businessman comes home from his trip with a ‘new’ rice cooker, everyone in the audience cracked up.

7. Betty says:

This is one of my favorite movies. EVER.
    I love every scene. I love her dresses. I love the soundtrack. And maybe, above all, I love how the things that they never said make me feel.
    I have seen it a million times. A real good choice, Amy. Thanks!

8. I love this posts!

By the wya, if nayone’s listening, I’m desperately looking for a sign that appears in Woody allen’s Manhattan mistery Murder behind his bed. I’ts a Soho sign with chinese characters.
    My email is puricaja7 (a) gmail.com
    Thanks XO

9. Elizabeth says:

When I stumbled across this post, I immediately thought that if I were going to write one of these, it would have to be for Out of Africa. So of course I had to scroll back through all of them, to see that it was your first one ever. Now that I’m convinced that we’re soul mates, I’ll just sit back and wait for you do do your Living In post on The Razor’s Edge.
    Thanks a ton, Elizabeth

10. Hannah Joy says:

I love love love this movie! One of my fave by Wong Kar-Wei!! Thank you so much for the fabulous inspiration!

11. polychrome says:

Yes definitely one of my favorite movies.
    A good choice in terms of style.

12. lucylu says:

Wong Kar Wai and Christopher Doyle make such beautiful movies together, and this one is no exception! Even with little action or dialogue, this movie pulls you and won’t let go. And thank goodness, we need more movies like this!

13. a gorgeous film, i agree.

a great post!

14. This movie is a HUGE hit over here. Enjoy most of Wong Kar Wai’s movies and how emotive they are.

15. Jackie says:

Hey, I was just listening to the theme tune today!!
    I too love this film, so seductive and sensual. Check out “My Blueberry Nights” all so good :)
    Please do “I capture the Castle” one of these days. Thanks.

16. Tricia Rose says:

and 2046! The music is spectacular!

17. Patricia says:

I took you advice and watched this movie last night. It is just beautiful!

18. Alice says:

thank you, thank you, thank you for doing a “living in” post on this film. I’ve watched it numerous times and love every little thing about it. My other Wong Kar-Wai fave is “Chungking Express.”

19. Erin says:

I am SO glad you did this movie for a “living in” post. I LOVE this movie! 2046 is also just as visually amazing!

I’d love to see a “Living in” post on “The Devil’s Backbone”. The elements of that movie are superb and the color choices that they stuck with were fantastic!

20. J says:

I love the film soooo much. Thank you for posting about it!

21. This is a lovely movie! Her dresses on her beautiful shape were so enviable.

22. Victoria says:

Amy, I just want to say having see ing your post (which I always love) on this movie , I put it on my film list and I finally got to see it. And I loved it! So thank you for introducing it to me!

23. Chris says:

Hey Amy, I just came across your blog. Yes this movie was produced quite a few years ago and is absolutely beautiful. I live in Hong Kong and walked into a vintage shop one day and it happened to be the one that lent things to Wong Kar Wai for props for the movie. I fell in love with a lamp – turns out it was the one in Tony Leung’s bedroom. I’ll email you a screen shot and one from my home if you like. It’s a beautiful double headed gooseneck lamp from the 60s. I’m so happy to see that there are so many fans out there, outside of Hong Kong.

24. juebejue says:

hi amy! just want to thank you for the recommendation, i watched it because of your post, and it was packed with style! love it! keep up the great blogs!

25. Amy, I promise to rent this , or find it on Netflicks, It sounds very intriguing. I love this feature because I get so many great suggestions that I haven’t heard of before, and I love to see you create Living In’s of the ones that I love as well. I found this old link and I am glad that I did.