from inspiration to reality

i love wedding ideas that can carry on after the big day is over. so when abby at style me pretty sent over this beautiful shoot designed by viola at chewing the cud, i was hooked. as part of their ‘from inspiration to reality‘ feature (where vendors turn one reader’s inspiration boards into a real life photoshoot), viola created this dark and edgy, but romantic, display that features a non-traditional guest book. rather than having them sign pages in a book, guests would be asked to write well wishes on a butterfly and than adhere them to the wall to create a fluttery installation effect. what i love about this idea is that it doesn’t have to be for a wedding. it would be so much for for a housewarming party, birthday, or other celebration where guests might leave nice notes for the hosts. you could pin them to a cork board, frame them, or recreate this free-flowing installation on your wall. to see more of this shoot, click here to check out the full post on style me pretty (i love the black and white plates!). and to see more wedding-inspired entertaining ideas, check out once wed‘s ‘beyond the big day’ posts here at d*s. thanks, abby! photos by blond tulip

1. Rebecca says:

This is one of the most beautiful and romantic themes ever :)

2. Suzanne says:

Beautiful and so original. Love it!

3. Katie says:

WOW…very cool. Tedious to install? Still cool

4. Jeanee says:

Love those black butterflies! What a good idea to have guests sign them.

5. jen Pepper says:

so pretty it reminds me of the work of Paul Villinski and his record and beer can butterflies

6. Wow that cake looks gorgeous. A lovely project to do with the kids too!

7. Grace, I adore this. It reminds me of the Amy Lau / Jo Lynn Alcorn installation at last year’s Kipps Bay showcase – remember that flowered foyer? Perhaps this is a better solution to my wall-phobia than the 3M tape we discussed at the poppies + posies party on Saturday! ;) Hope all is well! – Jackie

8. Lindsey Lou! says:

I just Love those flitting black butterflies. So beautiful. I could totally imagine using these ideas for any type of party, too.

9. Love this look with the black butterflies! I love stacy and lisas works!

10. Thank you guys!, I agree!! Couldn’t have done this without the incredible team of Stacy McCain Event Planning and Atelier Joya… and so many more talented folks…
    P.S. Thanks for the shoutout Grace!!

11. Woh, it is really fantastic to watch the design and very good use of beautiful butterflies.

12. patrick says:

Cute but not fair to label it as original when it is taken directly from Paul Villinski.

1. grace says:

interestingly, we’ve been receiving a ton of dark butterfly themed artwork and diy projects lately. something tells me they’re not all lifting their ideas from paul- although his work certainly is similar- and beautiful.

13. Love the idea, can also be used at Baby Showers (think colorful butterflies) – and pasted on Nursery wall for baby.

14. MPH says:

I really loved the dramatic impact it had at first glance. But the more I look at it in comparison to the inspiration board, the more it morph into Hitchcock’s The Bird.

So still impressed but a wee bit scared.

15. MeAndBoo says:

What a fantastic idea. There are so many creative people out there.

16. Rachel says:

I just put together a similar project to inexpensively decorate a wall here! I love the black butterflies though, those are gorgeous. I was inspired by these.

17. totally stunning!

18. carlee says:

WOW. very inspired.

19. Spanish Tart says:

That’s a beautiful cake!

20. alex says:

Pretty, but somehow a bit ominous!

21. Shelley says:

Those butterflies are beautiful, no matter where they are used! I especially love the cake.

22. Christina says:

A beautiful executed theme! I really like the mix of the cool blacks and warm whites of the newspaper prints.

The cake is exceptional and made by the lovely Krista from Sugarcoat It! She has even more dream cakes on her site that all brides-to-be should drool over.

23. I can see this in a child’s bedroom too! Filled with dreams and words of encouragement and love.

24. Thomas says:

How are the butterflies attached to the wall?

25. irina says:

I think the butterfly idea is taken from an artist installation by Dior Homme Paris (done by italian artist Andrea Mastrovito.)

26. Style Bent says:

I just tried the butterfly display in my bedroom and it looks great. Thanks for the inspiration photo. I’ve written quotes I love on them as an alternative to tagging all the walls.

27. Desdemona says:

Ohhh it’s so romantic and classy. I love the minimal b/w decorations, the butterflies look dark and malinchonic and still terribly romantic and sweet! I totally love it.