diy project: halligan’s handmade air freshener

I am a daily commuter and spend a lot of time in a car. Here is the perfect alternative to the everyday air freshener that uses all natural dried lavender. If you are lucky enough to not have to travel by car on the daily, this project would also put a woodland spin on a drawer sachet. Happy sniffing. –Halligan

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

-wool fabric
-needle and thread
-fabric marker or pencil
-2.5 inches of thin ribbon of choice
-15 inches of ribbon of choice
-dried lavender
-printed template (CLICK HERE to download the template!)

-wool felt
-needle and thread
-fabric marker or pencil
-15 inches of ribbon of choice
-dried lavender
-printed template
-fabric glue
-hot glue gun
-hole punch

2 Cut out the acorn top and bottom paper templates. Lay paper shapes on two layers of fabric and trace with fabric marker. Cut out shapes.

3 Line up shapes and sew edges using a blanket stitch leaving the top of the acorn base, the bottom of the acorn hat, and the tip of the acorn hat unstitched and open.

4 Sew open edges of acorn hat with a blanket stitch.

5 String ribbon through tip of acorn hat and sew two stitches to secure

6 Fill base of acorn with lavender

7 Put a line of glue along edge of acorn bottom

8 Insert into acorn hat and press. You can stop here OR you can decorate more!

BONUS steps:

9 Hole punch felt dots or shapes and glue onto acorn hat to decorate.

10 Cut a 9×1 inch strip of felt, fold, and sew along edge to create ruffle, then hot glue onto bottom line of acorn hat.

(here is a video link that shows how to make a blanket stitch….you may need to watch on mute..ha.)

xo, H

1. Wendy says:

Thank you Grace – it now works – will get to making some of these for Easter Gifts – Thank You for the idea! Keep up the good work!

2. sb says:

Can we use any other fabric other than wool? Would it work on other materials as well?

3. Judy Miller says:

This is too cut!!!! I love crafts, and am going to try one soon. I am putting this one in my favorites!

4. Judy Miller says:

I also would like to know if it would work on other materials? Thank You!

5. Margaret Garrett says:

I can not open the file for the template for this air freshner. I have tried several times and can’t get it to open

1. grace says:

what browser are you using? IE doesn’t play well with wordpress so if you’re using that i would suggest trying with firefox or chrome.

6. Nancy Boyd says:

I found it hard to download pattern because pages were too far to the right. I also had no luck with template. Hope you can help. Thanks Nancy

7. glenda says:

The template came up about 5 times too big! USE A pdf file…..see it that works.

8. pearl Raymond says:

Very sharp. Doing one for me.

9. Karna says:

Grace, Wonderful idea, I already have plans to make a bunch, with different shapes. Thought a Ladybug would be cute. But my question is can I do this with other fabrics or only with felt?

Thankyou Karna

10. Sharon says:

Why lavendar I thought it relaxes you and helps you sleep?

11. Boots says:

Think this is a fantastic unisex idea. Think I might put cracked whole cloves or broken cinnamon sticks for that Holiday feeling since it is coming soon. As for any trademark infringements – if you are not retailing; no issue and this is a sachet in my opinion so that doesn’t even come into play.

12. Melanie says:

I love it I made myself a gingerbread man one but was looking for something a little manly for my husband .

13. Melanie says:

Love it I have just made a gingerbread one for my car, hate the bought one’s dont last and dont look as good, but was looking for something a little manly for my husband, love it .x

14. judy bee says:

I agree this is an adorable idea and opens itself up to many possibilities. Thanks for sharing.

15. Marilyb says:

Lavender can relax u & make u sleepy.