behind the bar: something’s hiding in here

Alissa and I are super excited to feature an AMAZING drink from a local Philadelphian couple, Stephen Loidolt and Shauna Alterio of Something’s Hiding in Here.  Not only is their drink absolutely adorable but so is their story so we will let them take it from here… {Alissa + Ryan}

P.S. Make sure to also check out their blog!

CLICK HERE for the full drink recipe after the jump!

shauna and stephen first met at a kissing booth in kansas city. that 25 cents ended up being the best investment shauna ever made. ten years later the creative couple are living in philadelphia and spending their days making all sorts of goods like wooden mustaches on a stick, cheese crate music boxes, and reclaimed wood rings. their loft has been featured in a sneak peek right here on design sponge and as a part of etsy’s video series.

i first made this drink especially for shauna, inspired by all her favorite ingredients. since then, it’s become one of our most popular treats to make for friends. the individual bottles make it perfect for picnics or lazy afternoons in the park.

ingredients (serves 4):

1 1/2 pints fresh raspberries & blackberries (about 4 cups)

1 to 2 tablespoons sugar

6 large springs of fresh mint (about 2 ounces)

juice of 1 lemon

1/2 cup vodka

1 bottle prosecco (750 ml)

reserve some berries for garnish. mash remaining berries, sugar, and herbs in a large bowl. stir in vodka, juice of 1 lemon, and prosecco. pour mixture through a sieve into a pitcher, pressing through; discard solids. pour into 12 oz bottles, add garnish and cork. keep chilled on ice before serving.”

1. Oonafey says:

Where do you buy those adorable bottles?

2. Jennifer says:

Yum! That would make a great Girls Beach Weekend drink!

3. Marci says:

Drink sounds wonderful! Where can I purchase those individual bottles?

4. abby says:

Perfect for the warmer months ahead, nice and light. I love the SHIH blog and their Etsy store, and I can’t believe they met at a kissing booth!

5. Mmmm, that sounds amazing! P.S. I love the photography!

6. Erica Fern says:

In love this idea. I have a “Spring Is In” dinner with some friends coming up in a few weeks and will definitely be bringing this along as a surprise.

!!! love it.

7. Barina Craft says:

Looks tasty. A twist on the Mojito lets you take the bar away from home.

8. rifferaff says:

i also would love to know where to find those bottles!

9. Clair says:

They kind look like ketchup bottles don’t they?

10. This is really a cute idea for parties!

11. thanks everyone!
    we saved old apple juice bottles and purchased the corks (see links below).

p.s. the kissing booth is a true story, i promise.

12. matt says:

those bottle are awesome. where are they from?

13. Matty says:

I wonder… could champagne be substituted for the prosecco? Thoughts?

14. Meghan says:

Matty, champagne could be substituted easily – prosecco is essentially the same as champagne, just cheaper to make. (although now coming into its own)
    Champagne is usually sweeter tho, so if you use it, might want to cut back on the sugar added in the recipe.

15. Sheena says:

Can’t wait to try this recipe!
    Oh, and who shot the amazing vintage-y photo of the two of you? What a great picture.

16. Danielle says:

just went back and looked at your sneak peak and i think it might be my favorite now.

17. These look amazing! We make fresh berry mojitos all summer long. My only complaint is you took out the best part! I love getting a spoon and eating all the alcohol soaked fresh berries.

18. You guys are so much fun! I love the vintage photo treatments and the reference to crazy old cookbooks. Genius.

19. Marnie B says:

This is adorable and sounds yummy! I thought the same as someone above – thought they were tomato sauce bottles!

20. r. says:

mmm… they certainly do make everything look pretty.

21. I am a big fan of prosecco cocktails, this being my fave:

I am definitely going to make this one next predrink!

22. Cassandra says:

oh MY! This looks so tasty! I cannot wait to try this out. So many amazing flavors. Thanks for sharing!

23. { kat } says:

sounds delish – except for the alcohol! any virgin ingredient alternatives for this drink, maybe just club soda or sprite? i would love to try it, thanks for the drink!

24. Aaron says:

I’m wondering how long the fizz from the prosecco lasts. Would it maintain fizz longer if you add it AFTER straining out the pulp?

25. Laura says:

I can’t wait to try this!

You can get bottles here

26. Leigh Ann says:

I made this recipe yesterday for a picnic, and it was simply wonderful! Kudos!

27. candice says:

WHERE did you get the corks?! I am planning a treasure hunt b-day party for my 5 year old son and have converted coronita bottles so they each have their own glass bottled drinks! but i can’t find a good cork anywhere! they’re either too big or too small!

28. Lynn says:

Hi… I was wondering what I could use to substitute for the alcohol… Do you think club soda would work?