before & after: woolly makeovers

today’s first makeovers are all about an easy upgrade. normally we think of paint for a simple makeover, but these clever ladies both turned to something even simpler (but just as fun) to change their furniture: fuzzy throws. karen bertelsen of the art of doing stuff mastered the art of recovering a chair in 5 minutes by draping a lambswool throw over a rescued curbside chair. no stapling, upholstery- nada. just tucked into the seat of the chair and voila- a fuzzy new look without all the hard work. while a woolly look isn’t for everyone, i love the effortless way karen used something so soft and cozy to make over a roadside find. click here to read more about her insta-makeover.

[have a before & after you’d like to share on d*s? just shoot me an email right here with your images!]

the next fuzzy upgrade comes from michelle baldwin at every little thing. michelle picked up this 70s era telephone table on kijiji for only $50 and decided she wanted to give it a cozy, furry feel. after repainting the table in a crisp linen color, michelle replaced the knobs with hardware from anthropologie and finished the look with a a few yards of ivory mohair, found on sale for $16. great work, michelle!

1. San says:

The first one is amazing.

2. that chair is hilarious! i love it! i hope she names it, because it definitely needs a name.

3. So comical (in a good way of course)! The afters are definitely not short on personality

4. Karen E says:

Sheepskins are very cheap at Ikea, no doubt. But in the summer, they can be found at country fairs for a bit more money and much higher quality. I have gotten two long-hair cashmere goat skins, each for $75-90 from Maine farmers that are silky, multi-colored (tonal grays or whites), and of course all-natural. Best throws for footstools or backs of chairs, ever. I hope to get a few more this summer.

5. annemarie says:

Hmm – I’ve been wondering how to use my shaggy chocolate brown Norwegian sheepskin.

6. Bernie says:

Chairs are fun….but what really caught my eye, were the white bookcases. where did they come from??

7. kim says:

these are both INCREDIBLE and that karen chick is a laugh riot.

8. Thanks San! And Kristen, I didn’t even THINK of that. You’re right. It does need a name. All suggestions welcome! :)

9. The white bookcases are just 5 single Billy bookcases from Ikea in a row (attached at the back).

10. Caryn says:

I have to ask—how did you hang that Ikea light fixture in the second picture? We really want this light in our guest room but haven’t purchased it since it requires being plugged in and we wanted from the ceiling. How did you do it??

11. Hi Caryn, at the time, Ikea also sold hard wire kits. Basically you just put the shade on it, instead of the plug-in that comes with the light. I don’t know if they have them still, but hardware stores do … I’m sure between the pieces from the Ikea light and the hardwire socket you can make it work. Not so hard … good luck!

12. Cassandra says:

WOW! Just wow!
    I love her style… and now I’d really love a “sheepskin” chair.

13. Erin says:

I couldn’t scroll throught this post fast enough–the stringy sheepskin gave me the heebie-jeebies.

14. Peggy says:

shouldn’t that title be “woolly mammoth makeovers”?

15. Kelly-Ann says:

heeheheheee love the shaggy chair and telephone stool…they look awesome =)

16. michelle b says:

yay! thanks for showcasing my bench!!!

17. portlandsun says:

i need a woolly chair! the first one is amazing! i want it!!!

18. Sue says:

Um…is it weird that I’m a little afraid of that chair?