before & after: tyler’s frame + samantha’s chairs

this next before & after really caught my eye for some reason. i really love when people subtly modify something in a way that makes me see a piece in a completely different light- especially if i would have walked right by it before. this george washington frame makeover comes from tyler goodro at plastolux. tyler explained, “i stopped by a antique store the other day not really expecting to find much in my flavor. as I rounded a corner there he was giving me this smirk, and i ignored him. needless to say two days later I went back and took this 60’s 70’s print of george washington home, frame and all for $25. i busted out the acrylics and a paint brush and went to town on the frame. i also replaced the plexi with glass, now it is a little more my flavor – modern!” i really love the way the frame mimics the print itself- and it really does change the feel for me. well done, tyler!

[have a before & after you’d like to share on d*s? just shoot me an email right here with your images!]

CLICK HERE for samantha’s chair makeover after the jump!

this next project is artist samantha french‘s first ever upholstery project! samantha’s chair was stripped, cleaned, sanded (she even bought a sander to use on future projects!) and recovered with a lovely charcoal colored geometric print from duralee. i love the little nail-head detailing, the new piece is so sweet and fresh. great job, samantha!

1. That looks great, its incredible what a little colour and change of fabric can do to a piece of furniture WOW

2. Jennifer Waite says:

I actually have that exact print sitting over there smirking at me, and I’ve been trying to find a way to fit him into my retro den forever.
    Yay! George can stay.

3. jojo says:

oh my how cool! not many would think of that.

4. Rene says:

Absolutely love the frame. Great, great, great!

5. jfox says:

Samantha.. great job…. mentioned it was your 1st job…. how did you learn to upholster?

6. Vanessa says:

George isn’t smirking – he’s in pain. I read recently that by that age he had lost many of his teeth and a lot of bone mass in his jaw. The author was commenting about how the shape of George Washington’s face changed over the years in various portraits. Unfortunately I don’t remember what I was reading . . .

7. Raven says: