before & after: scott + cheryl’s mural wall

this fantastic wall makeover comes from scott and cheryl white in michigan. inspired by paint by number artwork, they decided to turn an ebay painting into their own custom wall mural. after their paint-by-number painting arrived from ebay, scott made a color transparency of it and borrowed a friend’s projector to trace it on the wall with pencil. scott and cheryl created a chart of all the colors, recreating their own numbering system. then after a trip to michael’s to pick up paints, scott and cheryl painted in their large-scale paint-by-numbers mural by hand over a period of eight months. the final results are stunning and i’m so glad scott and cheryl had the inspiration to create something so fun on their walls. well done, guys!

[have a before & after you’d like to share on d*s? just shoot me an email right here with your images!]

CLICK HERE for more images of scott’s finished mural after the jump!

1. Angela says:

I am obsessed with vintage paint-by-numbers (am longing to start a collection beyond the one horse painting I have) and this is SO awesome! I love it.

2. Joyce says:

wow the projector idea is just awesome!

3. This is something that even I can do! Can’t wait…

4. stacey says:

love and love and then love this some more!!! fantastic idea – clever people!

5. First time I have ever seen something like this..a mural is one thing…this is on a whole other level!!

6. kim bee-arrgh says:

I.Love.This.So. Much.

7. Missy says:

holy cow, what a good idea!

8. Penny says:

Very creative idea. I’m totally jealous! I love fall colors, this would make me so happy. I can’t imagine it turning out that well if I did it. I imagine you must have some kind of artistic talent.

9. alex sunday says:

awesome! i’m most impressed.

10. kiki says:

um, this is amazing. i think my favorite part is how long it would take! how many evenings do you have a creative itch, but not the motivation to start a whole new project?? i love these ongoing bits!

11. What a wonderful idea! I would hate to see any of it obstructed by furniture, though, after all that work!

12. how wonderful…and truly unique ~

13. modfrugal says:

Best DIY in ages…..awesome. Now I know who’s been outbidding me on PBN on ebay lately!

14. This is so great… Now I want to go out and find some paint by numbers!

15. Stickyheels says:

My question is this: When you go to resell the home and you need to paint over this beauty, does it leave a lumpy, bumpy mess below the surface of the paint? I love this idea but I’m scared that it would call for new dry-wall in the area after it’s all done!

16. Steph says:

This is pure brilliance! Bravo!

17. plastipop says:

@Stickyheels. We painted it on by hand and painting by hand does leave brush strokes. Stirring your paint well will prevents lumps. Alternately you could try doing a series of masks and spray it on. But depending on the number of colors that would be pretty hard core. If you wanted to go back to a solid color and not see any brush marks, sanding the surface and a good primer coat should do the trick.

18. AlpineGypsy says:

Oooh, WOW! That’s so amazing….ahh, I’m jealous I didn’t come up with that first…hehe…

19. Novi says:

This is something different, it’s awesome!

20. Helena Hatlevig says:

WOW! WOW! WOW!

21. Elie's Papel says:

Love it! linking it to my Friday links!

22. That is GREAT. GREAT! Good job. If I only had a wall left …

23. stephanie says:

i LOVE this idea. way more fun than a white wall. beautiful work!

24. pink says:

It’s just charming beyond belief. If I walked into an apt. and it had this, I’d rent it even if it were a studio! The kids could just sleep in the kitchen.

25. Hannah says:

Oh my goodness, this is just so beautiful! And such a coincidence, I was thinking about an alpine mountain scene mural the other day as I’m missing living in Whistler… may just take plunge and try it after seeing this. Love it!

26. Madie says:

wow, this is truly amazing. I love those colours and how good they fit in that interior!

27. Melanie says:

That really is amazing, I LOVE it and want to have a go. I’ll be trawling the junk shops from now on. Thanks for posting this!

28. bananasdontsk8 says:

this is AMAZING!

I’ve been looking for a map large enough for one huge wall in my living room. maybe I should just project one and paint it on myself!

thanks, d*s, for all the inspiration!

29. Bernie says:

Nice to see someone actually follow through on a great idea! I’ve been thinking about doing something very similar for a long time, only I was going to outline my picture on the wall in blue (like the PBN paintings before they are painted) number them, paint the “key” on the wall, and have a party and give the guests a smocks, paint and a paintbrush….OK they’d probably want food and beer) I’d most likely leave some of it unpainted too) My husband thinks I’m nuts.

30. Kelly says:

Oh my! I love it and my house next…this would be a great addition to my office! ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic

31. Eva says:

very very cool (8 months??)

32. plastipop says:

We took about 8 months to finish it, but it wasn’t 8 months of work. It’s nice to not have a deadline. :) My best guess is that it took us somewhere around 60 hours of work, give or take…

33. TreeCookies says:

very, very cool <3

34. Heather says:

This is amazing! Amazing! Beautiful! Cool! Sweet! I love love love it!

35. Debra says:

Fantastic idea. Takes me back to childhood Christmas memories where I traditionally received a paint-by-numbers set from my parents every year. Hmmm, so off to consider a good spot in my home for MY paint-by-number project.

36. Jordan says:

This is beautiful. I am so inspired! Love it.

37. I was really fascinated by the paintings and how the painter turned the wall into a very amazing wall design. A creative person really has a talent in making a dull wall into a very fantastic one. The style is so new and so unique. I guess some will follow this style at their home because it’s really very inspiring.

38. Love this work reminds me of old wooden puzzles found in my grandparents attic from the 1930-40’s

39. A really good balance of colours and the sky / clouds are excellent.

40. derick says:

That really is an amazing painting! Id love to do this in my home… Do you still have the transparency? if you could possibly contact me, Id certainly appreciate it. Thanks :)