sneak peek: rosie brown of papa stour

from the windows of the cottage where rosie brown lives with her husband ewan and little baby girl, verity belle (isn’t that the sweetest name), she can look out over the garden and watch the sea foretell the changing weather. the family just moved into this cottage in pittenweem, a small fishing village with one of the last working harbors in the area , just 7 months ago. the couple had wanted to move from edinburgh (see rosie’s edinburgh home here) and the tiny artist community seemed like the perfect choice for the owner of papa stour. each august the artists in the town throw open their doors to welcome visitors and show their work. rosie’s cottage is located just opposite a 7th century cave on a wynd (doesn’t that word just make you want to buy a ticket to scotland?) leading up from the harbor and is inaccessible by car. (see all of rosie’s home on flickr)   {thanks rosie, ewan and verity belle!}amy a.

[photo above: The house was originally 2 cottage that were made into one in the ’70s by the National Trust so it’s a very quirky shape.  Most of the windows are south facing which is where the garden is too which makes it a lovely sunny place.  I wanted to give it a more spacious feel so painted most of the house white except for our studio and bedroom. There was a big red check carpet running throughout the hall and curtains with pelmets which took away a lot of the light.  We re-carpeted the hall in a thin stripe of duck egg and off white which gives it a more beachy light look.  We used white blinds instead of curtains to give it a more modern and light feel.]

[photo above: The nursery is located in a lovely little room at the top of the house with amazing views out the sea. The cot was mine when I was little and the blankets are by Nicola Mcghee, our newest Papa Stour artist, she does beautiful wool blankets that all come in vintage bags. The Chinese lantern was a find from New York many years ago.  The quilted blankets were bought in India from one of the hotel owners who had a small hand block print studio in one of the rooms they were beautiful and cost next to nothing.]

[photo above: This is the spare room. The map is an old map of the Kingdom of Fife (where we now live) that my husband has had for 15 or odd years, so amazing that we are now there!)]

CLICK HERE for more of Rosie’s Brown’s Scotland home!

[photo above: The shelf was a commissioned piece by Roland an artist from Edinburgh that was exhibiting in Pittenweem.  It is drift wood found on the beach here that he then adds little bits of inlayed painted wood too, really beautiful work.]

[photo above: The kitchen, with its lovely belfast sink,  has a door that leads out to the garden. Lamps from Labour and Wait a fabulous wee shop in London.]

[photo above: The sitting room is directly above the kitchen so it has 3 windows facing the garden and one facing the cave.  It’s a lovely bright room with a wood burner in it which makes it super cosy in winter.]

These are in the kitchen with a tapestry of a cow I found in an aution hall that is done by a 13 year old.

[photo above: The telephone was a present from my husband. Next to it are the limpet shells that I use in my beech nut hangings on Papa Stour]

[photo above: Our bedroom located opposite from Verity’s room.  The chest of drawers is a little Hungarian one that we bought when we moved here.]

[photo above: This was a commission to Lara Scobie in Edinburgh.  I had seen her ceramic work and asked if she would be interested in making some tiles for us, they’re great.]

1. Emiko says:

Beautiful and serene! My favorite pieces are the vintage looking greenish bookcase, and the vintage phone. Oh, I desire some travel time!!

2. PleinJane says:

That dotted oilcloth on the kitchen table made my stomach jump. Beautiful home!

3. cristina says:

Difficult not to imagine washing something in the sink and calling “Verity Belle!” Grace, it’s not that you give us beautiful houses to look at, it’s that so often, one wants to move in and live there for a spell. Thank you.

4. Anna says:

It’s all so beautiful, and I love that bright kitchen opens onto the garden, and that the nursery has sea views. Now, I want to see more of the village!

5. I love the kitchen sink and faucet! And the bedspread…such a pretty shade of green/grey/blue.

6. jane livingstone says:

one tends to think that things have to be far away to be stylish and exotic but I live just along the road from here! House looks very beautiful – perhaps Fife is a centre of chic after all. Jane L

7. FinderMaker says:

This home is so beautiful and serene. I love the muted color palette, peppered with bursts of fun color: the bathroom tiles, red blankets, Chinese Lantern, pretty red cyclamen in the window…

8. farmgirl says:

Mercy that’s pretty. Quiet and soft but still fresh. Thanks for the look.

9. Eli says:

Very pretty….where’s the bed from by the way? I’m looking for something really simple like that…

10. Caitlin in MD says:

I think she said the crib in the nursery was hers when she was little…but I love the look of it. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I might be able to find something similar?

11. Veronica of True Image Designs says:

Wow… this is a walk down memory lane, literally. I used to live in St Andrews and would go to Pittenweem weekly to wander the streets and drink way too much tea (or beer – it all depended on the time of day). I remember this house & used to imagine what it looked like inside. Thank you for the sneak peek – a wish fulfilled!

12. jennifer g says:

I well remember Rosie’s last house tour–I think it was featured in Domino. Heavenly, again.

13. I love the location of this cottage and simple, yet pretty decor.

14. Ali Walsh says:

Lovely and quite inspirational. I adore the cow tapestry.

15. Laura says:

What issue of Domino was her last house tour in?

16. Emily says:

Wonderful. A perfect balance of refinement and the raw beauty of nature and its power. Thanks for the inspiration, always!

17. Jane says:

Breath of fresh air. Winter’s getting to me and seeing that pretty white cottage was perfect timing.

18. sassybean says:

you have a tech problem with this post.” click here” for more images does not work. “page can not be found” – please fix!!!

1. grace says:

should be fixed, sassybean :)

19. betsy says:

Oh, this is wonderful! What a beautiful cottage! We lived in Scotland for almost 10 years and recently returned for a visit, and ended up renting a cottage in Pittenweem. I think the shelf-builder Roland is Roland Fraser? He is one of our oldest friends! And a talented woodworker and furniture maker. What a delight to read this today!

20. Allison says:

it was fun to look back at the pictures of the Edinburgh home and to these and see how you placed the same furniture and accent pieces in different ways according to the rooms.

I was in Scotland for two weeks this past summer, and drove around the whole country. I imagined what all those little cottages looked like on the inside, and thought of how lovely and cozy and bright they would be. This doesn’t disappoint. Lovely.

21. Robyn says:

I love the dotted cloth on the kitchen table, too. Can you share where you got it??

22. Carolina says:

I cant help but feel that there is so much more to do with this space. :(

23. I love the farm house kitchen sink. I’m dying for one in my kitchen.

24. Orla says:

Really beautiful house and in such an amazing setting. For those who were asking I think that the table cloth is a Cath Kidston oil cloth. She has shops and a website in the UK.

25. So very beautiful….the light, your textiles & wonderful personal pieces….all of it! Thank you for sharing this with us.

26. alyson says:

oh my… so beautiful!! and I could be wrong, but is that a giant sea urchin in the window of their spare bedroom? maybe it’s a basket, but it’s really cool regardless!

27. KellyP says:

I’m delighted to see this cosy little town/house on Design*Sponge! I was fortunate enough to work in a garden on an estate not far from here, at lunch we would come here to sit on the sea wall and eat fish and chips! Such a beautiful little town with so much to offer!

28. You had me with that dreamy first photo. Another beautiful home, so full of inspiration. Love these sneak peeks!

29. Margarita says:

I have seen this house before and loved it, very much my style, calm, a few old good pieces, a lot of white and great finds and vintage goods!1

30. Vicky Watt says:

This is so nice – actually it’s quite a special sneak peak for me as I live in the next village – St Monans – and I remember Rosie Brown’s work from my days living in Edinburgh. Great to have another artistic neighbour in this lovely area!
    Vicky (Acoustic Wave)

31. Elgin Smith says:

Stunning pictures – so I decided to look at their Papastour website. With so much to choose from I was on for ages – and have just made a purchase! Love to make my house as lovely.