sneak peek: lauren naimola of dear golden

lauren naimola has been shopping for vintage clothes since high school. her etsy shop, dear golden – has allowed her to put all those shopping hours to good use and practice must make perfect because she sure finds some cute things (let me just say, if you wear a 6.5 or 7 shoe size, you should click on over to etsy right now – my big size 9 feet are very jealous!) lauren’s vintage clothing aesthetic has influenced her home design. she’s constantly at estate sales, thrift stores and antique malls – always on the hunt! lauren loves to mix-and-match – trusting that the things she loves will go together one way or another! {thanks, lauren!} -amy a.

[I mix in elements of many decades, but I love naturalistic and rustic themes. I am a bit erratic and get obsessed with things easily, so I’ll start decorating the house one way and then completely switch gears, thankfully my taste is cohesive enough that all my erratic turns work together! I love to mix pretty things with rustic more “unpretty” things.  I also think comfort is paramount, home is home!

photo above: This is one of my favorite spaces in the house – that sofa is in the kitchen, which we renovated entirely. We wanted a great sitting space in the kitchen since that is where everyone hangs out anyway! Those wicker and metal shelves were from a church garage sale, and the two colorful art pieces I thrifted. I love a lot of plants in the house.]

[photo above: We have 4 cats so the furniture becomes “theirs” to ruin, but this past autumn we found this fantastic late 1970s soft that is very textured and almost burlap like, also impervious to kitty claws! Everything in the photo is second hand, and the painting was from an estate sale of a local artist. I love how it’s abstract but also figural.]

[photo above: For the guest room I was looking for a Hemingway/cabin/1940s feel and I mentioned to my mom I needed a bed and as usual she just had one at her house in the garage! It was perfect for the space. I also love textural art and this giant botanical piece is thrifted. Like I said there is very little in the house that is new, I’d venture to say only about 15%!]

CLICK HERE for more dear golden home pictures after the jump!

[photo above: The guest room doubles as one of my many closets and instead of trying to hide the overflow I just made them part of the room.

[photo above: My closet overflow, again. That dress is from the 1930s and a little fragile, but it’s too pretty to be hidden in a closet.]

[photo above: When my husband and I bought the house the bathroom was horrible, we completely gutted it down to the studs. I wanted a very 1920s feel that fit the house (it was built in 1924) so we put in white subway tile and white hexagonal tile with gray grout so it would look worn in. The clawfoot bathtub was essential, we got it at an architectural salvage place and it’s very well used in our house!]

[photo above: The rug was only $12 at a thrift shop and it’s wool! I am always on the lookout for rustic/ethnic rugs.]

[photo above: The amazing dresser is part of a set that was designed by Raymond Lowey. We got it in Ohio at a giant antique place for a mere $300. I added the trifold mirror from a little antique shop near my house. The little weird, dried yellow flowers were from my husband years ago and I have always loved them.]

[photo above: Bounty from a recent estate sale. I was up at 4:30am to get in line for a 9:00am sale – needless to say it was well worth it.]

[photo above: I love my workhorses (dress forms), I had some even before I started the shop, I have always loved how they look and the double as
functioning hangers for my everyday sweaters. The cool black frames pressed flower piece came from the thrift store near my house. I kind of had to “fight” my mom for it as she was with me.]

[photo above: This is the upstairs hallway. I got the mirror from my mom’s house, it was sort of gilded (and not in a cool way) so I painted it matte black. And then painted a couple other frames the same to tie it all together. All the art is second hand save for the first one on the right, that is by my friend Amy Sacksteader. My mom actually framed those little leaves and gave it to me as a gift.]

[photo above: What can I say – the antlers and the silhouette are sort of “in” right now, but I can say that I doubt they’ll ever be rotated out as so much of my stuff is. I think they are timeless.]

1. visualingual says:

I love all the rustic and folksy touches in this home, especially the Polish papercut in the first photo! Lovely!

2. Jen says:

What a beautiful home with lovely style! It is definitely cozy and homey, and very much in keeping with the home’s 20s style. (Jealous of all the plants, though, our two cats would have a field day…)

BTW, I really love how she displays dresses in ‘free ranging’ closets. What a lovely idea! It always makes me a bit sad to put a beautiful dress in the closet or waterfall wardrobe; maybe I won’t from now on!

3. Hexstatic in Montreal says:

What a gorgeous home with a lot of treasures. A big heart crush for yours and your sweet shop that i’m always checking out :-)

4. abigail says:

Amazing! Love all the pictures and her entire house! I want to know the story behind the lovely floral rug!? in the bedroom…

5. Incredible! Love your thrifted finds – the best!

6. Crysatl says:

Wow! What a beautiful home. I love the clean simpleness of it but the huge vintage influence. Amazing. Not only a inspiring Etsy shop but an inspiring home. Nicely done Lauren.

7. libby says:

Huge fan of her shop and now a big fan of her home! Great peek.

8. lesliedeil says:

Your couch looks very similar to the couch my parents had when I was growing up. I’m sorry I don’t know who manufactured it, but if it was made by the same company, it is a super find! Our family couch survived 3 cross country moves and years of heavy abuse. My mom refused to move with it one more time (after 30 years she wanted something new) and it was left out on the front lawn to be picked up with some other furniture by a charity. Someone snatched it up before the charity could get to it which is pretty impressive because it was a heavy and large sectional. It was a great piece and in retrospect she wishes now she had reupholstered it instead of giving it away.

9. Ren says:

Fantastic. I love the folk elements of style.
    I am a size seven and I’m scared to look!

10. I love the blue wall colour in the bedroom and that $12 rug and, oh oh, the bathroom is fantastic too!

11. Marisa says:

What is the paint you used in the guest bedroom?? It’s perfect!

12. StarR says:

Shoes love the shoes!

13. lauren says:

The bedroom is a hit it seems! It is actually green and it is Benjamin Moore, Aura collection the color is called ‘Azores’. :)

14. Cindy says:

Beautiful work – just the sort of things I love too.

15. Betty says:

My favorite is the cat in the second pic. What a pretty little guy!

16. I adore Lauren’s style & shop. She has absolutely stunning taste and her home is just as lovely! Gorgeous vintage pieces, warm & comfortable. Thank you so much for sharing, the sneak peeks on DS have been rocking the house today! I love them all! :)
    xo
    Melis

17. I love all the dresses hanging around as art!

18. andria says:

like Leslie, I grew up with the same couches — only ours wasn’t a sectional but two separate sofas. Impervious to my grandparents’ Winstons, the cat’s claws, and spills of any nature. I inherited one when I moved into my second apartment, but was sick to death of it by then. Have wished I had it back dozens of time since. Sure it’s still holding up fine in someone else’s living room…

Love the guest BR and all of the plants!

19. bargain bex says:

be still my little fashion-y heart.

20. Kristena says:

What a lovely home. And lucky, lucky with that estate sale score! Lots of inspiration here. :)

21. lauren, your home is pristine and beautiful! i love that most things are thrifted and that you’re as crazy about indoor plants as i am!

also, it made me laugh to see the table of shoes and rooms full of clothes…oh the lives of us vintage sellers!

xo,
    rachel

22. SashaK says:

So pretty! I especially love the bedroom. And that painting in the living room over the sofa is great. It makes me want to start looking for estate sales.

23. Stephanie Press says:

Love the idea of using clothing as art!

24. das. says:

The little tree decoration on the wall is very very nice. Where to get them?

25. Jess D says:

Gorgeous place – I love the painting in the sitting room – abstract but figurative – could you let me know who it’s by?

26. zess says:

its hard to find the things you like but i found some attraction to this blog, nice post and thanks for using most of the accessories for decor.

27. Wonderful furniture collection and home decor. All coming together beautifully to create a most lovely home.

28. alyson says:

you have such a beautiful home Lauren!! that bathroom is stunning.

29. Eva says:

i can imagine one to be very proud of this house; it’s full of treasures and stories. Lovely!

30. Becky says:

fantastic shoe collection… jealous.

31. margaux says:

what an amazing collection of vintage dresses. and i love the plant hanging in your bathroom!

32. You did not get that giant wool rug for $12! Girl, get a crown b/c you are the thrifting queen. Off to take a peek at your etsy site.

33. Autumn says:

I’m never disappointed when going through the homes featured here–what a homey, almost folksy home. I’m way jealous of the shoe collection.

34. Jessica Rodriguez says:

Lauren is a friend of a friend, and I’ve always found her to be one stylish lady. Now I know how stylish her house is too, which of course is no surprise. So nice to see her here on DS, one of my favorite online places. A couple weeks ago I was at the Corner Brewery by where Lauren and her husband live and they were hosting a wedding; the vintage bride was in the tiny bathroom taking pic’s with a friend and gushing to anyone who would listen about her gorgeous vintage dress from Lauren’s shop. Small world!

35. Elle says:

Really lovely! I would also love to know the color of gray paint used in the hall & guest room.

36. stella says:

thanks for sharing, it’s lovely. Wow, I have the same small table that is in your living room in front of your sectional, only mine has a white top. I found it at a flea market for 11 bucks, refinished the base and love it!!

37. Jacqui says:

Love your home so much! Thanks for sharing. I love that most of what you own has been used and everything has such character. And so jealous of your vintage clothes, I’ve added your Etsy shop as a favorite in case I see something I can’t live without!

38. Philomena says:

What an absolutely gorgeous house – I particularly love that $12 rug, the Hemingway guest room (that botanical print is so gorgeous!) and the idea of a sofa in the kitchen.

I’d love to know the paint color used in the master bedroom – it’s exactly what I’d like for my own.

Thanks for sharing!

39. the wells says:

i love love love how she hung up dresses as art.

and i’m loving the truck pieces at the end of the bed, especially the teal one. what a cute home!

xoxo

loveandwells.blogspot.com

40. Love, love your style…follow you on Twitter and just found your FB fan page & this site…beautiful…keep doing what you love:)! Muah!

41. Christina says:

eek! that dress should be kept flat!

42. You have a lovely home. Thank you for sharing.

43. camille says:

What a great article ! So nice to have an inside look on one of the best stores!