sneak peek: juliet totten of poppies and posies

juliet totten, one half of floral/event design duo, poppies and posies, lives in this upper westside new york city brownstone apartment with her sister ellen and dog jake. the apartment has also become the headquarters for poppies and posies -where juliet and the team’s other half, sierra, spend days dreaming up magical environments and cool projects to create fabulous events. juliet is an avid collector – a trait inherited from her grandmother who travelled all over the world! in fact, many of juliet’s favorite objects are from her grandparents. (see the full set of photos from the oh darling photo shoot here!) {thanks ellen, juliet, sierra and jake! special thanks to whitney and dustin of oh darling photography for the lovely photos!} – amy a.

[photo above: The painting over the fireplace is a print from Madeline.  The artist, Ludwig Bemelman, was a family friend and so he inscribed this print “Little Audrey and The Princeton Tiger” for my grandparents Audrey and Middy (he went to Princeton).  I am also obsessed with the lamp.  It belonged to my other set of grandparents and is an old torpedo shell converted into a lamp.  It was a gift from the Artillery & Missile School in May 1967 when they were stationed there.]

[photo above: I bought this piece at Junk in Brooklyn and gave it a bright glossy coat of paint.  Now it’s one of my favorite things! The top slides open and the inside lights up.  It makes me feel like a ’60s Hollywood starlet! ]

[photo above: This window sill gets the most amazing sun during the day so I wanted to utilize it and have a ‘garden.’  I grew up gardening with my dad, who had a serious green thumb. I have some lavender, rosemary, and different ferns and mosses at the moment. This summer I want to try my hand at growing tomatoes and strawberries. I think the best smell in the world (well, besides coppertone sunblock) is tomato vine.]

[photo above: I’m in love with these bottles.  I found the one on the right in a junk shop in New Foundland and carried it 2,500 miles across land and sea, literally. It still has liqueur peppered with flecks of gold leaf in it.  Both are working music boxes and the one on the right plays ‘ma vie en rose’ and the little couple inside waltz in a tiny circle. Love it.]

[photo above: This is my room and the corner studio where Sierra and I do a lot of our day-to-day work stuff.  My favorite thing on the mantle is an ink drawing from Alice in Wonderland that belonged to my grandmother.]

CLICK HERE for the rest of Juliet’s peek!

[photo above: I found this chair in my favorite antique emporium near my family’s cabin in Maine.  It’s super mini and perfect for apartment living.  The needlepoint pillow on it was done by my grandmother, Gagi. We seem to have a lot of hippos around the house, I think both of my grandmothers had a thing for them.  My sister loves giraffes so we are a total zoo scene in here.]

[photo above: I love the aged mirror  – it makes everything look romantic in reflection!  The yellow flowers are craspedia.  We’re a little in love with them right now at poppies and posies.  The other flowers are old decoupage cutouts attached to wire found at the green market.]

[photo above: I love this table –  it’s from an old Maine farmhouse. I use it as my drawing/ drafting/ sewing/ thinking table. Sierra and I try to keep fresh flowers in the workspace to inspire us and brighten our day a bit.]

[photo above: Sierra and I made this ‘faux terrarium’ lamp.  I think we’re going to make a whole line of them with different vignettes inside. The lamp is sitting on top of an old tool case Sierra and I found while sourcing antique containers for a wedding.  I love how industrial it is in comparison to the rest of space.  Also we’re majorly into succulent bouquets right now.  The ones hanging on the wall are alive and growing!]

[photo above: The headboard for this bed is actually a cool wickery folding screen found at an antique store and then mounted on the wall.  The pillows on the left of the couch are old french grain bags stuffed with feathers.  I covered the couch in an old kaleen I found in my parents house.  My dad was a Middle Eastern specialist and lived in Turkey, Lebanon, and Saudi Arabia and then we lived in Syria when I was tiny so our house is filled with amazing textiles.  It’s great when I can sneak a few out of the house and into my apartment!]

[photo above: This is my sister’s desk.  It looks out over the downstairs apartment’s amazing garden.  I found the print over the desk in a flea market for her.  It’s from the textile designer Vera Neumann and has her cute ladybug signature at the bottom.]

[photo above: I am not the greatest surfer but all of my siblings have taken up surfing and we like to get together to work on our skills when we can.  I started when I was studying at NIDA in Sydney and totally fell in love with the sport. The Babar print next to the sofa was a gift.  It was one of my favorite series of books when I was small and the colors are so cheerful.]

[photo above: This enamel-topped table  has funny little squirrels peeking out throughout the design.  My sis and I found the settee behind it at Target.  It has heaps of storage inside, and I love the whole bench seating thing.  The Bugatti print is from a flea market.  The two prints above the table are menu’s from a café in Paris with illustrations by Georges Redon. They are another one of my grandmother’s items acquired when she live in Paris in the ’30s]

1. virginia says:

my dad bought one of those Bols bottles when we lived in France, and it sat on top of our fridge, forever.

2. Laura says:

I adore your apartment and intend to use it as inspiration for mine! Love, love, love the terrarium lamp.

3. Becky says:

I’m simply loving the dwarf fruit tree inside. Now that my kids are a smidgen older, I think I may try to bring some more plants back inside. Thanks for the inspiration.

4. Lisa K says:

Please help! That green cabinet is the EXACT color I’ve been wanting to paint my father’s old wooden desk. Can anyone get me the paint color?

5. agraff says:

Yes! The green paint color! We need the color! Please! It’s gorgeous!

6. Omg beautiful! Love all the luminosity of this place.
    I was shocked to see those bottles tough… I have the left one! You can hear the “The Love Story” theme by turning a little windy key on the botton, right? I love it so much. It was a gift from a dear aunt who isn’t with us anymore. I’m very happy to see that another person has the same bottle as I :)
    From Brazil, best wishes,
    Daniela

7. Kristina says:

So Pretty! I love it.

8. nancy says:

Jules you are so talented!

9. Ondine says:

It’s PALATIAL! How beautifully put together too. I love it.

10. Lissy Missy says:

Whenever you start making terrarium lamps, please please please let me know where I can get one??!

11. courtney says:

does anyone know where i can purchase this peacock, if possible? my parents would loooove this!

12. Melissa A. says:

I love this place, especially the green cabinet witht the shelves above and the lemon tree. Very cozy and bright.

13. Green cabinet is just yummy.

14. Marni says:

What a playful, happy, colorful place you have created! I especially love how you have woven together so many family treasures. Can I get you to consult here in Austin, Texas?

15. Thank you all so much for your lovely feedback! I’m glad you like the house

The paint color is Behr “Moss Landing” (It’s so pretty in person too!)

The peacock is another one of my grandmother’s fabulous finds

And we’d be happy to design custom terrarium lamps for anyone that fancies one… just shoot us an email!

16. Jocelyn says:

It’s a lovely and inspiring space. Can you tell me about the curtain fabric?
    Thanks!

17. gigi says:

I must, must know — where can I get that sheer curtain canopy over the bed?

18. Nuria says:

I also want to know the color you have used for the green furniture.
    I love it!

19. Nuria says:

I´am not sure but I think the green color could be: Yellowgreen RAL 6018, at least here in Germany.

20. kbd says:

any idea of what what the curtain fabric is called, or who makes it? Its gorgeous!

21. Heather says:

I too would love to know more about the curtains! Where can I get these or the fabric?

22. Sarah says:

LOVE your place! I’ve just been browsing the internet for a new flat at home and got totally depressed with the price of these tiny, old fashioned, student-y hovels that are for rent…then i ended up here….and you’ve totally cheered me up with all that color and personality and st-uff!!! Thanks!

23. KG says:

I must know the name of the paint color of the green cabinet from Junk. I LOVE it and would like to use a similar color on a piece in my home.

24. stacey says:

Love all of these pics, the terrarium lamp is awesome!!!

25. Julie says:

So very much in love with the Vera Neumann print. It’s beautiful!