sneak peek: bridgette comazzi + ivan duval

by

welcome to the parisian home of the creative couple bridgette comazzi (creative director of the crave-worthy fashion brand comptoir des cotonniers) and ivan duval (part of the duo behind the quirky, clever line, atyypk).  they’ve been in this traditional haussmann style apartment in the 10th arrondisement of paris – along with their twin 10 year olds – for two years now.  not much has changed since moving in (they shot these pictures a month after move-in), and they love the size of the apartment as they prefer to keep the space rather than filling it with too much furniture and decoration.  adding further charm is the mix of wood and concrete floors it came with, which lead bridgette and ivan to coin the term “haussmanian loft” for their home’s look. click HERE for additional, full-sized images. {thanks ivan and bridgette!} -anne

[above: Living room. (45 square meters). The fireplace is currently working which is nice- and the lack of a mirror on top of it gives the room an atmosphere of the countryside rather than the city.  The bear skin is from Atypyk, it’s a huge doormat actually. One of the biggest item we’ve created.(200×225 cm).]

The cushions come from India, old green boxes were used in the textile industry.

Rusted frames come from letters of a very hold hotel in Paris, I found in the street close to the flat when it was demolished. Arty but still not “Art” we prefer them to stay on the floor rather to be hang on the wall.

CLICK HERE for the rest of bridgette and ivan’s sneak peek after the jump!

Kitchen… Mostly Ikea for the furniture improved with a thick teak board (4cm), Atypyk for all the cutting boards and salad wrenches, Smeg for electrical appliances, 70’s Scandinavian chairs from my parents. We always dreamed of having a Spanish ham hang on the ceiling. I put the hook and our dream came true.

Entrance. No window in this room, but as the apartment is full of natural light all day long. It allows us to use a pretty unusual dark grey. Chairs come from an old French theatre. Ivan did the red painting on the top of the radiator.

The Leisure area is an extension of the living room. It holds our TV and cd/dvd/book collection (except the fashion ones which are in our bedroom), and as of late, our piano (not shown on the picture). The window leads on to the balcony.

Our bedroom. East oriented. We wake up with the sun light. We turned the frames around to give the room a monastic feel. Two windows lead on a balcony where we used to put plants and flowers.

Bathroom : 100% authentic 1930’s style. No decoration there yet… Still looking for the smart idea. Till then we keep it white. One day, we’ll have time to think about it.

Our children, Malo and Célestin’s bedroom. Spring cleaning on the picture.

Corridor and Matador… From the entrance, it leads to bathroom and kitchen. Painted with chalkboard paint, the wall allows all of the family to deliver tender messages to each other (or for our friends to thanks us for the good meal they had)… We used to ask friends from all over the world also write “Bienvenue” in their own languages… (we pay careful attention not to remove it when we clean the board). The Poster comes from an African Artist- it’s adhered to the wall with black tape used by photographers.

1. Victor says:

Love the floors! I’m glad that they saved them. And I love the mix of the modern and old–it’s always an great eclectic look when done right.

2. Gemma says:

Although this is not my style at all, I can appreciate the ascetic beauty of it.
    I wonder do though, how such a very grey and seemingly dark space would psychologically impact children?
    But perhaps I’m just projecting.

3. Sarah-Jane says:

Grace: ‘we obviously won’t focus on homes like this as a regular feature’
    Possibly the most exciting sneak peek yet, purely for the comments it has been generating, and more importantly for the questions it asks about the nature of ‘home’. We each have our own history, prejudice, preference, and our responses to someone else’s home reveal our preconceptions. Should home be a mausoleum of memories, gathered over time, reassuringly present and on exhibit to reassert our identity? Can a home which does not use every inch of space to constantly remind of ‘who we are’ challenge us to shape the future afresh every day? Can this website overstep the boundary of offering beautiful decorating ideas? This sneak peek is a welcome challenge to rethink the preconception that ‘home’ must be a mirror image reflection of oneself. Home is also a process, in flux, like a personality. It could be said that personal identity can be strong enough to simply not need an ordered, reassuring, cosy, colourful place to call home, and that some personalities thrive in such an environment. I hope the editors of sneak peek continue to offer us snippets like these, which offer real possibility for thought. Keep it up.

4. Sarah says:

I am one of the few people in the middle on this one. It reminds me a bit of something Abigail Ahern would do but without the attention to detail. The floors are amazing and the “bones” of the apartment are great. I think one reason I like it is that because it is so “undone,” I can imagine moving in and putting my stamp on it. The combination of stark walls and cluttered floors is weird, though. The whole thing does seem a little soulless, although I am sure that is not the case in real life.

5. meg says:

I don’t get all the comments about a lack of clutter. I see it everywhere. On the coffee table, piled up on the floor next to the sofa, next to the fireplace…

While there are few things I like here, it largely feels transient to me. I can’t imagine living somewhere for two years that still looks like you just moved in.

I look to these house tours for ideas and inspiration to use in my space. None of that here.

6. Anna says:

Love the lack of things on the walls. My house is full of the pictures people have given me but if you don’t have art you love than why put any art at all. Living surrounded by kids I also love an apartement with children that has not been taken over by children. Everything in a house does not have to revolve around the children..I am a teacher, they will adapt and find their own entertainement. A lot of the child centered decorating feels forced and commercial to me anyway. Love the gray colors, love the floors.

7. Marlie says:

One of my least favorite sneak peaks. Lack of color and the walls are so empty. I don’t like the rusted frames in the dining room, something more colorful is what this dining room needs. And the boxes on the floor next to the couch in the living room? Not really stylish.
    As a non French also living in Paris I see many apartments like these here – lacking color, except for black, brown, white and grey. The apartment is great though and has lots of possibilities.

8. StarBossom says:

I’ve been trying to convince my boyfriend we need theater seats and a chalkboard.

Beautiful!

9. Natalie says:

It makes me want to listen to some light classical music. I would want to stay in all day in this home.

10. Margarita says:

The space is amazing, so much you can do in there…the flooring and the tall windows, can I have it pls…

11. Margarita says:

After reading all the comments in here and looking back to the photos I would like to add: I was so taken by the space and features that i didn’t realised about the decor so much. If I had this flat I would do so much with it, it currently look as it is a work in process and that is what probably is as this photos were taken just as this family moved in. But knowing their clothing line, very simple and neutral I can see how this flat and decor match their creative work.
    I like it anyway…

12. kimmi siren says:

I too have read all the comments and think that one of the main reasons people out there want to clutter up this apt and/ or find it dark and gloomy is simply a cultural difference. I have lived on both sides of the pond ( aka the Atlantic). I was born in Europe & lived there for many, many years. However I am an American citizen and now live in NY ( not that anyone cares) and European living (at least for now- still) is much more about quality rather than quantity. This includes quality of the light,( which is AMAZING in Paris), the paint , the age of the floor, the moldings , the details etc., etc. I think the apt is STUNNING; it remains understated and chic and screams intelligence. Sadly ( don’t shoot me) if an average American would get their hands on this place the only thing one would notice is the incredible ability to find, buy and display ( not always so well either) mounds of useless trash and sadly if new then usually made from some kind of hideous petroleum based product. The French are not Walmart shoppers, nor do they base their successes and failures in life on which sale they were able to attend or what 20% off coupon they could use!!! This goes for the rest of Europe too ( though sadly Britain has lost it’s stiff upper lip and seems to be looking more like mini America land) And for all of you out there who might feel like attacking me now.. I like the States very much. I have a successful business here and there is no other Nation in the world that will pull out the wallet faster when someone or another country asks for help. The united states should be known for their generosity if anything. Love Design Sponge too!! Fabulous Stuff.

13. Solrun says:

Hi I hope someone will see my comment, in the last picture is a poster from a african artist, who is it? I have seen this poster many times before, where can I buy it? Many thanks, Solrun.

14. I love the mood of this place. It does feel a bit ascetic, but it doesn’t bother me a bit. I only can imagine how those high ceilings, tall windows, and beautiful warm floors transform when the natural light gets in.

15. Miss Heliotrope says:

I love that it is calm – and relaxed. Many more minimal places are uptight.
    The US/EU discussions (it is nice how polite most people were & are being) are funny – are they the only styles of decor available?
    The most important thing about a home is that it is how the people who live there want it, & this seems to be the case.
    There is no right way to do things, even if everyone you know does it the same way. This has inspired me to concentrate a bit more on space, and continues my fascination with darker interior colours, which many people claim cannot be done with the strength of light here in Melbourne (Australia) -