made with love: spring wreath

Six more weeks of winter, blah, blah, blah. One morning last week, New York awoke to a surprise snow storm after several heavenly days of non-freezing temperatures. It could have been a heartbreaking reminder that we’re still in the dead of winter but instead, I decided to make this F.U. winter wreath. Wreathes are a touchy subject. Evergreens are nice at the holidays, but feel out of place after the main event is over. Fake flower wreathes send terrified shivers down my spine and dried flower wreathes aren’t too much better. Yet, as winter lingers on, I feel compelled to gussy up the front door, pseudo-spring style. Wild and branchy wreathes, devoid of the terrifying “country” connotations, are a much needed reminder that winter will soon be on the way out. –amy m.

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

What you’ll need:

– Several bunches of branches or vines. I used curly willow branches but you can use whatever flexible vine you have nearby, either from the florist or from the woods so long as they are not dried. Other options include grapevine, willow, bittersweet etc…
– clippers
– floral wire
optional – extra greens to tuck in, I used seeded eucalyptus
optional – small decoration, bow, bird’s nest, mushrooms etc.. My mushrooms are vintage from John Derian

– Cut a few inches of floral wire and separate 2 lengths of willow, preferably with thicker stems (1/4″).

– Wrap wire tightly around to join the two branches.

– Take opposite ends and form a circle, wrapping ends down the sides of the wreath to secure.

-Keep loosely twisting branches around circle, using the thicker branches to give your wreath shape and thinner branches to fill it out.

– Stop when satisfied with your wreath’s density and size

Optional- Clip small pieces of greenery to add another layer of texture onto your wreath, i used 2″ – 3″ pieces of seeded eucalyptus

– Weave ends of greenery into wreath to secure. Add in mushrooms etc… and hang

1. This is so pretty! I love the wildness of it ~

2. Jewel Weeks says:

I applaud your F.U. to winter, and I second it.

Also, I am going to make this wreath because it is beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

3. Jennifer says:

Very pretty! I love the little toadstools!

4. Meg says:

This is gorgeous.

I love that you acknowledged the fear that so many of us have of replicating grandmotherly decor with a wreath– you’ve convinced me. Maybe now I can out wreath my “country-cute” neighbour in our duplex.

5. i applaud the comment from jewel weeks…

f.u. to winter – v funny…

i think the wee mushrooms are deadly…great post

6. Tara says:

Gorgeous and proper.

FU Winter – Amen!

7. Kelly says:

F.U. winter – yeah!

8. Normally I don’t really like wreaths they seem to fake to me. But I love all the different types and textures of green. This has a fairly tale feeling to it that’s I’m totally digging.

9. Heather says:

I love the mushrooms!

10. Niki says:

I love how delicate and natural it is. Such a sucker for mushrooms too!

11. Stephanie says:

Just a tiny mention of spring makes my heart fly.
    I love the soft wildness of the wreath. Beautiful!

12. Evie says:

I was coming on here to comment about how much I adored the mushrooms and then I saw I was not alone! What is it that makes us turn all “mushy” for these little fungi?

13. vacskamati says:

The perfect wreath!! Exactly what I’ve been looking for!! Thank you!!

14. Bernie says:

Beautiful! Country has gotten a (deservedly)bad rap, mainly because of all the cutsie-pootsie, willy nilly frilly crap—– (I mean stuff, sorry Grace).So what is a better term to describe simple, clean, somewhat vintage, non urban style that doesnt evoke visions of grandma’s house???Would it be Contemporary Country? Did I answer my own question?? Is that an oxymoron? Help. It’s early and I need coffee.

15. Amy M. says:

That sort of clean and utilitarian vintage style screams “farmhouse” to me. No fussy potpourri or lace doilies in a farmhouse!

16. Rose says:

This is perfect and I love it!!

17. Thyme2dream says:

delightful- what a wonderful way to welcome spring into your home:)

18. Malia says:

I,too, have been wanting a wreath for the black front door – neither dead or cute. Great idea, than you!

19. Linda says:

I do love all things floral and green. I finally removed our Christmas wreath–couldn’t bear to part with it till recently. This will make a great replacement. I live in the woods, so surely I can find the natural ingredients for this project. Thanks!

20. dee says:

I needed a wreath that our birds would not pick on to make a nest. someone told me to buy one of these or make, and the smell would scare them away. so far so good, but i know being outside in the heat the smell will go away soon.