Japanese Design Companies

I’ve got a serious love for Japanese design and draw a lot of inspiration from it. The simple, natural and timeless designs really appeal to me. I also love the use of linens and natural fibers – something I’ll never tire of. For today’s post, I thought I would share some of my favorite Japanese companies like Bil-let, Classiky, Muji, Fog Linen and others.

I love a lot of the Japanese-designed home goods not only because they’re classic and simple but they’re also very functional.

Links:
1. gingham tray, 2. wood + linen hamper, 3. paper straws, 4. ceramic + wood pot, 5. metal basket, 6. alphabet ice trays

I’m a huge fan of the natural fabrics and neutral colors in a lot of the Japanese textiles I come across.

Links:
1. coasters, 2. yarn + glass cover, 3. linen ribbon, 4. kitchen cloth, 5. half apron, 6. full apron, 7. cotton tape

If I collect anything its Japanese ribbon and paper goods – I just can’t get enough! As you’ll see here, there’s just a great classic simplicity.

Links:
1. envelope tag, 2. graph paper pad, 3. kraft tape, 4. patterned tape, 5. ledger notepads, 6. notebook, 7. beeswax crayons, 8. metal clips

1. Doris Kirke says:

I have fallen in love with the paper and office accessories. Where could I purchase these? Thanks for your time.
    Doris

2. Nikko Moy says:

Ooo my kind of post! Love all things Japanese of course.

3. Beautiful round-up. And I love the graph paper background, by the way…

-maria

4. paula says:

now if only I could get it all here…

5. I love this post Suann, there is everything I needed to inspire my morning!

6. Doris — good question! I should have probably included that.

Here are some shops that I know of that are either in the US or ship to the US:

For Fog Linen:

Paper, tape and other supplies:

MUJI USA:

Etsy also has some shops that are Japanese supplies:
    Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/PrettyTape

Will add more as I think of them. Thanks! -Suann

7. Dionne_C says:

These are all so lovely, the simplicity will never go out of style.

8. PicklePetunia says:

LOVE IT ALL!!!!
    JUST LOVE IT.
    Thank you for the amazing post and inspiration..
    Now I need to move to Japan

9. Diane Zerr says:

Wow, I really like those ledger notepads!

There is a great Etsy store called nothingelegant that sells japanese goods too.

10. Julie says:

I’ve been to japan several times. in the cities, they have such a great offering of inexpensive and amazing designs. may i suggest another company? Afternoon Tea is one of my favorites: http://shop.afternoon-tea.net/

11. Marina says:

You left out #8 in the textiles picture! Also, the cotton tape looks incredibly intriguing.

12. Thumbly says:

Fabolous collection. I’m totally in love with Japan in general.

In the second image (Textiles) what’s the number 8? I can’t find its caption. Thank you!

13. kenzie says:

I love this stuff, Japanese design is my weakness. Thanks for the great collection! I really need that kraft tape.

14. Jami says:

I am in love with every last bit of this post! Paper is my passion! And Zakka is so inspiring. Simplicity is a beautiful thing:) Thank you for inspiring me today:)

15. alli/hooray says:

Japanese design is so inspiring. I love the simple and industrial look. Great finds!

16. LOVE all of these Suann!!!

17. Mandy Behrens says:

Absolutely stunning collection. My daughter attends a Japanese immersion school and we are soaking in as much Japanese culture as we can. Thank you for sharing this post. Cheers, Mandy

18. marisa says:

I love this round-up, particularly the textiles. Would love to do something with that cotton tape. I’ve seen similar designs out of Korea… guess I need to keep searching etsy. Thanks for the inspiration, Suann.

19. So beautiful! I always love your style Suann, as you know! Beautiful picks and thanks to you I am more in love with Japanese design than ever! :) Great job over here hun!
    xo
    Melis

20. Beth says:

I love Japanese pens. When my husband and I traveled there a few years ago, the only thing I wanted to buy were pens. I love the really, really fine point ones. Thanks for these online resources!

21. Sista Stef. says:

I like those alphabet trays!

22. alyson says:

such great picks Suann!

23. Shoshana says:

I love the tape but I can never come up with projects for them. Can anyone suggest projects that would include these nifty tapes?

24. Great post! Loved the layout with the graph paper. We will be adding tons of new Fog Linen Work products to our site in the next week or so. Check back soon!

25. Marthe says:

I really love everything here! I love the simplicity of everything! I do hope I can find anyone who will ship to Norway..

Or maybe I should start planning a trip to Japan, I think I would love it! :)

26. Emma Jay says:

*sigh* Sooooo beautiful. I wish I was a neater person…

27. linda says:

That glass cover for yarn is so amazing!

28. Jake says:

I especially like the alphabet ice trays

29. Shoshana – good question! I use it for a couple of different things .. because its not the strongest of tapes but I love the pretty colors + patterns I use it for gift wrapping, sealing an envelope, taping down photos in my inspiration notebook, etc. I even use it for our son since it can be removed easily + its great for crafting — or even making “roads” for his little cars. Hope that helps!

30. elizabeth says:

A super Japanese textile company is Antipast. They make the most amazing socks, scarves, etc.

31. Gorgeous – I adore the textiles especially.

32. Engracia says:

Love this post Suann. All these choices are elegant and quirky, a wonderful combination.
    Cheers
    Engracia

33. Melissa Jade says:

I loooove japanese design! I’ve been looking for that hamper for months!!! My husband is going nuts without any hamper but i refuse to buy something i don’t love when THAT one exists!!

34. Asma says:

Very cool, love the alphabet ice trays! So awesome!

35. ayla says:

wow! i never realised i liked Japanese design so much?! Thanks!

36. Clea says:

Does Billet sell to the US? Do they have retail outlets anywhere other than Japan, maybe Hong Kong? I LOVE everything on their website. Gorgeous, I want to move in and stay awhile in any place that they create.

37. Spanish Tart says:

I live next door to a Muji store. Talk about temptation…

38. Clea –so far I haven’t found a retailer in the US but did contact Billet directly and you can send them an email with your order.

-suann

39. Michelle says:

LOVE these simple pieces of beauty and inspiration. Does anyone know if there is a San Francisco spot for purchasing some of the interesting craft/paper supplies listed above? perhaps in Japantown?

40. Eva says:

nicenicenice. too bad indeed that Billet doesn’t seem to ship outside Japan

41. Elyse says:

I live in Japan, and every day, the design blows my mind. And the craft books…ooh la la.

42. { kat } says:

i wish i knew about some of these stores before i went to japan!

43. It has been 4 years since this was posted but I will comment anyway. Lovely stuff!