behind the bar: chelsea + tec petaja’s “magic juice”

While we are hard at work on some major projects and enhancements at HORNE, Alissa and I are loving this creative couple kick our column seems to be on. This week’s creative couple hails from Tennessee, had their wedding featured on the cover of the premiere Issue of Southern Weddings Magazine and while one is an amazingly talented professional photographer, the other is an equally talented artist & educator. Can’t figure it out? We are honored to be featuring the preferred beverage of Tec and Chelsea Petaja. Tec Petaja is not only a widely published wedding photographer but also has a keen eye and passion for commercial photography. When not shaping young minds, Chelsea Petaja creates beautiful headbands and accessories to adorn brides (and occasionally grooms) on the most important day of their lives. (see the sneak peek into their home here!) And as if that weren’t enough creative juices in the mix (pun very much intended), they are featuring a drink created by their wardrobe stylist friend, Talitha. We hope you all enjoy! {Ryan + Alissa}

CLICK HERE for the full drink recipe (and more lovely images) after the jump!

“Magic Juice is just as tasty as the name is ridiculous. Our dear friend and local stylist, href=””>Talitha Moakconcocted a version of this drink and she makes it to perfection. It reminds us of lazy summer days, and considering Nashville is under 8 inches of unheard of snow, we needed a summery drink to pick us out of our winter-funk. So cheers to sunbathing, green grass and 80 degree weather!”

Ingredients (makes two drinks):
6 hulled strawberries
1 peeled orange
5-7 mint leaves
1/4 peeled cucumber
4-6 oz gin, depending on taste
8 oz fresh lemonade

Dice, then muddle fruits and mint
Pour gin into fruit mixture and let sit for 10-15 minutes
Strain over lemonade and ice
Garnish with fruit slice or mint leaf

1. Drop dead gorgeous photography.

Wow – love it!

2. Samantha says:

Oh yum! That looks refreshing!

3. Casey says:

That drink sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

4. cindy says:

haha i love the images for this recipe!

5. arre says:

yummmm! this sounds like the perfect antidote for the gray day i’m having.

6. Alysa says:

Small small small world. I went to elementary school with Tec.

7. Jeanee says:

I’m sure I’m going to be feeling “magical” after a couple of glasses of magic juice!!!

8. RKM says:

Yum! That’s pretty much the same recipe as a Pimm’s cup, except a Pimm’s cup uses Pimm’s #1 – which is gin-based – instead of straight up gin.

10. Betsy Tucker says:

Can’t wait to try. I wonder if the drink will taste as good as it looks!!

Bet it does…

11. Rhaya says:

I can’t wait to make this once spring arrives and the mint in my garden has sprouted!

12. suzanne says:

oh MY! that sounds, and looks, delicious!
    although it sounds like an excellent summer drink – i think i’ll have to try it this weekend anyways :)

13. Liz says:

Gin is my FAVORITE! I am so excited for this recipe. While I love my gin and tonics with lime, I’m always on the look out for some more exciting things to do with gin. Thanks for sharing!

14. this is such a fun post! so bright and cheery. lovely!

15. wow this looks fantastic. thanks for sharing the recipe:)

16. Shannon says:

Beautiful photography! Can’t wait to try some of these. This could go in a food magazine… So fun and makes me look forward to Spring. It is coming isn’t it.

17. Ava says:

I love this drink! Gin, citrus, strawberries. Delicious! Thanks for the fab article.

18. Jordan says:

This looks amazing. Definitely going to try this!

19. Sandy says:

I’m drooling! This looks soo delicious and makes me wish summer would come sooner!

20. Karen says:

Can you tell us who makes those lovely glasses? I would like to have some for myself. Thanks!

21. Graphically…sooo well done! I love this! ;)

22. hey karen! those glasses are from ikea and were ridiculously cheap–i think we got 6 for $4!

23. Brittany says:

Ooh, Lovely designed post/tutorial. This drink is like a US spinoff of English pimms., a great summer drink. Best served in a beautiful pitcher!

24. Eireann says:

really similar to Pimm’s, which is a prepared mix you can buy here in the UK; people drink it with ‘lemonade’ (=Sprite/7-Up) and cucumber, mint, citrus, and apple. See .

25. anya says:

small small world – i work with Tec – i’m going to try this drink tomorrow!

26. Clare says:

So yummy. I made the MAGIC JUICE last night at a cocktail party. It was a big hit.
    Thanks for sharing. I love it. (“,)

27. So pretty, so delish, so enticing… I’m off to the liquor store for supplies…

28. Annie says:

looks like a very refreshing drink — and I love the way you did the recipe! very creative!

29. Aansy says:

one ingredient is missing and that is “love” to complete this magic juice.

30. Dee Brun says:

2 words…STUN – NING…just awesome..Made my mouth water…

Cheers to you…

31. sakura says:

just made it and it’s amazing~ even on a snowy winter day…

32. Elise says:

beautiful! i love being inspired, and your photography is both delicious and gorgeous.

33. Kristen says:

i love chelsea. Not only have I written about her as well, i sported her hair pieces in my wedding and they were so perfect. great post.

34. amy says:

We’re having friends in town this coming weekend, and I fully intend to make this deliciosity. Thanks for sharing the goodness.

35. jennifer says:

we made LOTS of this for a wedding shower, and it was fantastic – everyone loved it, even if they weren’t gin fans…

36. shyne says:

deliciosity. Thanks for sharing the goodness