doily pillow tutorial + new work from alice stevenson

it’s diy day at d*s so i couldn’t resist sharing this fun doily pillow tutorial from rachel at smile and wave. i’ve still got a boatload of doilies left from a failed wedding project so i’ve been looking for something fun to do with them, and this project is perfect. rachel has posted the full step-by-step instructions on her site, so check them out here and make your own doily pillow.

and just for a little extra morning eye-candy: beautiful new work from alice stevenson. click here to check out her latest illustrations online and here to check out new releases on alice’s blog.

1. Sasha K. says:

I love Alice Stevenson’s illustrations! That fishing boat is gorgeous. Wish I could buy a print.

2. cate says:

The doily pillow is cute but I don’t understand why it says for non-commercial use only on the site with the instructions. There isn’t a patent on sewing doilies together (or my Grandma would have it :)

3. Julie says:

i am loving those Alice Stevenson illustrations! beautiful!

4. Renai says:

Love love love the Alice Stevenon drawings… is there anywhere to buy her prints?

5. Courtney says:

I have so many doilies that I salvaged out of my grandmother’s attic, but they’ve been stashed away in a trunk for the last year. I cannot wait to check out this tutorial. Thanks!!

Also, the illustrations are so pretty! I love the color scheme of the last one.

6. Avril says:

I’m not digging all the doily focus lately. They feel really musty to me.

1. grace says:

i know they’re not everyone’s cup of tea, for sure. but i did a quick search and only found 3 posts with doilies on d*s in the past 4 months…hope that’s not too much of a focus ;)

7. Avril says:

Hmmm…feel like I saw a doily tableau you did for House Beautiful or another print design mag? Perhaps I just developed an aversion to them as a result of my Mother’s unabashed gusto for them

1. grace says:

we used a few doilies in a piece we styled for HB in november, but it wasn’t a ds post. i def. don’t think we’ve gone too doily crazy over here. if anything i think i need to ween off of plaid posts for a while ;)

8. Avril says:

Now, I can never get enough of plaids, but that’s why I don’t have a fabulous design blog! :)

1. grace says:

i know, right? i looked around my house the other day and was like “woah, grace. take it easy on the plaid”

9. Triscia says:

Beautiful Illustrations, very retro colour palette, yum!