diy: test tube vase

i’ve been on a mission to bring more green things into my home – growing more plants and visiting my local flower shop more often! even though it’s been a trend for a while, i still can’t get enough of science-y stuff (beakers, test tubes, etc.) in the home. so for this simple project, i used test tubes to create little bud vases – perfect for the delicate jasmine that just came into the flower shop this morning. spring is on the way! –amy a.

CLICK HERE for the complete project instructions!

Materials Needed

• wood stain
  • block of wood – i used a simple 4×4 cut into a 10 inch block (but a piece of found wood or driftwood would be equally awesome!)
  • 3 test tubes
  • electric drill
  • wood boring bit – my bit was 5/8″ for standard size test tube (i just brought the test tube to the hardware store and they helped size it)
  • flowers!

Project Steps

1. You want to start by drilling the holes for your test tubes using a boring bit. I evenly spaced out three holes but you could just as easily include more test tubes or use a smaller block of wood for a single test tube.
  2. If you’re using a new piece of wood, you’ll want to stain it. I chose a dark stain and applied according the instructions.
  3. Now it’s all a matter of assembly! Test tubes in the wood! Flowers in the test tubes!

1. visualingual says:

Wow, this is so simple and sweet! Thanks for a great DIY.

2. linda says:

ha! that’s so funny because i have the exact same kind of vase style in my parents’ study room..except the wooden holder is different. it actually looks like those test tube holders in the lab, but made from wood. thanks for sharing!

3. I love this, very sleek and modern.

4. Mary says:

This is very cute, but that is *not* a 2×4. It’s more likely a 4×4.

1. amya says:

You’re right, Mary! Good catch! Thanks! – amya

5. Paul says:

Great idea, thanks for sharing..

For those that may not want to pay the cost of shipping, some dollar stores carry test tubes that hold incense cones, just peel off the label and re-purpose the tubes.

6. Kiersten says:

This is awesome!

I always love test tube or microscope slide DIYs.

7. Carole says:

I have several vanilla bean tubes that I’ve been using in just this way, but in a wire rack. The tubes are such an interesting shape that I can never recycle them. They beg to be used in other ways.

Cute idea.

8. Katie says:

oooh, I love this! This would make a great centerpiece down a long table if you made it longer. Super cute! Thanks for sharing!

9. How awesome! You make me realize that I could be much more creative with a little effort.

10. Emily Rose says:

This is hilarious. I was just telling my friend how my husband has been telling me to get rid of all the crap I keep in our basement, INCLUDING A BOX OF 1000 TEST TUBES! I have held on to it for 10 or so years, just in case that perfect project came along. This is it! Thank you so much!!!

11. What a great idea, thanks for sharing.

12. Bobbi says:

I’ve been collecting those glass tubes that cigars sometimes come in, wanting to make some type of vase with them. I think this is it!

13. So love this!! I was just at Scott’s antique market in Atlanta and a vendor had bought out a science lab and there was tons of table full of test tubes, beakers, all kinds of fun finds!! I bought a great set of apothecary jars, and know I hope to find some test tubes…loved this fun idea!! Thanks!

14. Annette says:

Nice! On an unrelated-to-the-project note, does anyone know what variety of jasmine this is? It looks just like the one I grew up with, and I’ve not yet managed to track down the botanical details for it!

15. Laura says:

I think Todd Oldham does this in Handmade Modern! I’ve been meaning to give it a shot.

16. nemo says:

so creative want to hug AMY, love you AMY keep it up.

17. Linsi says:

It’s so curiosity shoppe, I love it! I’ on the same mission this year (about green) so I’m definitely going to give this project a shot. I found test tubes recently at a flea market. They’re perfect!

18. Diana says:

@Annette it looks like Pink Jasmine (Jasminum polyanthum). Lovely scent!

19. sarah shaw says:

clever! Love the use of the rich wood with the test tubes and flowers. What a mix!

20. This is so timely for me! I already have some test tubes and I’d been trying to decide how to mount them to use them for exactly this purpose. Thanks for the tutorial!

21. Kim says:

I made a many of these for gifts using driftwood a couple of years ago. As my husband kept pointing out, the easy way to get the holes vertical is to use a drill press, which I did, finally ;). The other tip is the apply tape to your drill bit to indicate the depth of the hole to drill. I got a little excited and drilled right through.

And I bought this metal *thingie* that holds test tubes nicely for a wonderful vase