diy project: jewelry bust

this is the second installment of jewelry storage projects, and this version is for people who love to show off their sparklies. i was very inspired by the lovely bust statue in this article from an old copy of the sadly discontinued blueprint magazine, but i wanted to create something a little more compact and modern. once i found the right silhouette and created a template, this was pretty easy to complete. i painted this version in a clean, simple white, but you could really go crazy with this: bright colors, stained wood, fabric, you name it. have fun!! -kate

CLICK HERE for the full how-to (including a standing and wall-mount version) after the jump!

materials (for both versions):

1. piece of wood at least .5″ thick and 12″ x 17″ (i used an ikea wood shelf that was 14″ wide x 36″)
2. jigsaw (with a fine tooth blade for detail cuts)
3. safety goggles and dust mask
4. sandpaper
5. white paint
6. paintbrush
7. table clamps (for securing the wood during cutting. you should have two of these)
8. pencil

for tabletop version:
1. 9″ x 12″ wood plaque (these are available at craft stores)
2. 3/4 inch screws (x4)
3. 4″ metal “L” bracket (usually comes in pairs at the hardware store)
4. two pairs of pliers

for wall mount version:
1. scrap piece of wood (around 2″ thick and small enough to fit behind bust)
2. 2″ screws (x2)
3. cup hooks (x2)
4. nails or screws (for the wall) (x2)

cost:

wood shelf $5
wood plaque $2
paint, tools: free (on hand)
bracket: $2

time:

3 hours (including drying time)

instructions:

1. print out the bust template at 140% the original size (or print and copy at 140%). the final dimensions of the bust should be about 11″ at its widest point and 17″ tall.

2. cut out the template and trace onto your piece of wood with a pencil.

3. clamp down the wood and use your jigsaw to cut out the shape. the key to using the jigsaw for small detailed shapes is cutting in pieces. do not try to cut one long outline of the template. cut away at the shape in small sections, coming at the edges from all different angles to get the best, cleanest cut around the shape. this means you will be cutting out little chunks of wood around the lips and nose, but just work slowly and carefully and you’ll get good clean detail. you will have to stop a couple times to adjust the cutout and re-clamp for better cutting angles.

4. once the shape is cut out, use the sandpaper to smooth the edges and remove any loose splinters.

5. wipe the shape clean of any sawdust and lay on a painting surface.

6. paint the shape and the base white. allow to dry.

(note: the earrings are hung from a thumbtack pushed into the wood)

for tabletop version:

1. while pieces are drying, use the pliers to slightly bend the “L” bracket edges towards each other, to create an angle slightly smaller than 90 degrees. this allows your bust to tilt back slightly when attached.

2. once pieces are dry, screw the “L” bracket into the back of the bust with the bottom of the bracket flush with the bottom of the bust. then screw the bracket into the plaque near the back of the length of the plaque.

3. paint the bracket white. let dry.

for the wall mount version:

1. use the 2″ screws to secure the thick scrap of wood to the backside of the bust, centered in the chest area a few inches down from the neck.

2. screw the cup hooks in on the right and left corners of the outermost edge top of the scrap piece of wood (farthest from from the bust).

3. paint the whole attachment white, and let it dry. it is now ready to hang by two nails or screws in a wall.

YOU’RE DONE!

1. Look Hotter Accessories says:

H, Looks amazinG! Link for the template doesnt seem to work :(

2. Aaria says:

Interesting way to keep jewellery, i like it. thanks for sharing! :)

3. Thank you Grace, we love your blog, Design Sponge! We shared your “DIY Project – Jewelry Bust” on our facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/Pick.Up.Sticks.Jewelry. Thanks again from the girls at Pick Up Sticks Jewelry.

4. Elaine says:

Love it beauties; Thanks for sharing

5. Carmi says:

My life will not be complete until I made one!

6. B.Toteva says:

This looks amazing!

7. Shalini says:

So pleased to have found this tutorial. It gave me just the push I needed to make my own displays.
    I have been thinking about it for over six months but having read what this I feel more confident that I will be able to make them :-)
    Thank you so much for writing this.
    Shalini

8. Jasmine Neeno says:

I love this idea so much! But I can’t get any of the templates to open. Not to inconvenience you but I’d really love to be able to make this! Thank you!

9. zee says:

made this last week but using old heavy duty box ( its really hard almost like plywood).
    instead of paint it using normal paint, i used mod podge mixed with black glitter! it turned out super gorgeous and sparkly. made 2 sets already. tq so much for the idea and template!

10. Allie says:

Love love love this! I included it in my 15 Jewelry Organizers and Displays post on my blog! http://www.missloviecreations.blogspot.com/2014/01/15-diy-jewelry-organizers-and-displays.html I’d love for you to come check it out and grab a button if you like. Have a great rest of your weekend!

11. Nina Gibson says:

I made a version of this bust, using my own drawn silhouette, thinner plywood covered in cork and fabric (so I can pin earrings to the silhouette). Instead of the L bracket, I used a heavy hinge so that she can fold for easy portability. I hide the visible hinge with an old wood spool that I sometimes lay bracelets across. I also made her in two sizes. https://www.flickr.com/photos/ninadesigns/13936369819/