Crafting with kids

I love that our son is getting to the age (3 1/2) where he loves to draw and craft. I try to foster this as much as possible and have a few favorite products that I thought I’d share here today.
First, we keep a standard toolbox of all his crafting supplies (I originally saw his a couple of years ago over at SHIM + SONS and thought it was a brilliant idea). Its one central location for everything and helps to keep it all organized and our son loves it.

I keep that box stocked with favorite crafting products that both my son and I like. Including some of these:

Links from left to right: colored pencils, butcher paper, recycled star crayons, eco playdough, rubber stamps, stencils

There are also a lot of favorite everyday products we incorporate into his “crafting”, including these:

The Ikea paper table cloth is not necessarily for crafting but I always keep a few rolls of it around – its affordable, looks good and works well for covering tables for messier projects (as well as wrapping large gifts!).

That’s it for me this week! I’ve really enjoyed being here on Design*Sponge – thanks so much for reading.

1. Cassie says:

These are some fabulous tips :) One of my little guys is a dedicated crafter already and i’ve been looking for some practical ways to house some of his supplies ( instead of the bin the begins to overflow with his creativity ). Thanks for the ideas!

2. paula says:

we did the same thing! we love craft time. It looks like your better stoked that I though.

3. nue says:

this is brilliant! i love how all his little tools are eco friendly as well. what a great way to nurture creativity.

4. Amy Cox says:

These are some good tips – I love crafting with the little one but boy is it hard to clear up when they are running under your feet!!

5. Sista Stef. says:

Great idea; I have to get Chloe and Jojo’s art stuff organized.

6. These are all so sweet & such great ideas! Thanks Suann, my little one adores crafting too! I always love ideas for fostering that.

7. james says:

great post. thanks!

8. Beth says:

Fantastic! I’ve did a multi-media art project with my kids recently that I posted at my blog. Great idea to use the Japanese tape with them!

9. Becca says:

Great! I love “the small object” stamps, and keeping the butcher paper roll on hand is brilliant. I have a fishing tackle box that I use for craft-stuff storage — it was very inexpensive and is helpful for storing small things.

10. Engracia says:

Fabulous Suann, I too saw Shim and Son’s idea a few years ago and put together a similar craft toolbox for my boys. They love it.

11. annie says:

how cute & fun :) i am slightly obsessed with japanese washi tape and i have lots of those round plain stickers, i use them a lot in my collages.

12. Cara says:

I work in a nursery school (in Norway, unfortunately) and I’ve been thinking a lot about ‘pretty’ kids crafts. The woman I work with is obsessive about making things that look perfect (which I think is totally wrong) but for the most part they are so tacky you know that some go in a box somewhere and that 99.9% are tossed. I would love to find/come up with some crafts that are attractive while still showing a kids hand, useful, fun, and good for ages 2-5. Is that even possible? Any ideas or suggestions? You seem to be into this kind of thing (-: I loved your posts.

13. KCMazey says:

Enjoyed this post. I did this with my son years ago. The tool box was a discounted “adult” box (big deal for small boy);was red with black handle and removable tray inside. He carried a variety of “tools” for craetivity over the years. He is 27 now and still has the box somewhere. I am not sure if it hold the childhood tools or adult tools or both. Enjoy your son (I know you will) 3 was such a great age and 27 is not so bad either.

14. Quinn says:

Oh, wow! I LOVE the idea to put all the art supplies in a little tool box! That’s brilliant! Now I want to do this for all 3 of my kiddos. They’d love it! Thanks for this post!